So I can bring a gun to work now...car safe recs?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jp3975, Nov 21, 2019.

1. jp3975

jp3975

I just started a new job and in the orientation they said we could have handguns at work but they have to be in a locked box and left in the vehicle for those with a permit. Pretty impressive for a defense job.

So I need a locked box of some sort and don't know much about them because they have never interested me until now.

I wouldn't mind seeing examples on the super cheap side as that will fit the requirement as well as the nicer side.

Something that ergonomically fits somewhere with quick access to the driver would be ideal.

Delndskyjmpr likes this.
  2. jp3975

jp3975

I was actually pretty lucky at my last job.

A month ago I was lucky enough to get called for security to search my vehicle. Random draw...handful of people out of 200 employees and it was the only day I ever brought it to work...by mistake. Went out to dinner over the weekend and put it in the console because I didn't feel like carrying after getting so full. Forgot all about it.

Not very professional but they asked me to go get my car and bring it to them to search. No supervision. And of course I had a glock authorized dealer polo on.

I almost put it in the wheel well of the truck beside me. I thought about putting it in my pants, but ended up putting it in the glove box and locking it. Figured I was going to get fired. They didn't check the glove box but went through everything else.

Sad that you can get fired for that.

glock1097 likes this.

3. redneck ron

redneck ron

Just curious were you worked before? Because in Texas, unless a school or a gas/oil/chemical facility, you can have a firearm locked in your car on company property.

Texas SB321, effective September 1st, 2011.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB321/id/311717

R_P_K_ and checkyoursix like this.
  4. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Lock r down safe goes in your console.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

5. jp3975

jp3975

I'm in Arkansas currently. I think there is probably a similar law but I'm not sure.

I worked at spectra making 40mm grenades and coyote warheads.

redneck ron likes this.
  6. FAS1

FAS1

If the parking lot is not secure you should look for something good quality. I had a customer send me info on his vehicle install a few years ago and he wanted something stronger than the typical cabled box you commonly find under seats. He installed his in the trunk of his Mustang with tamper proof hardware from McMaster Carr. Since it was something he was doing every day he wanted better security. Quick access didn't figure in to the equation since he would holster the gun when leaving work.

What kind of vehicle do you drive?

[​IMG]

glock1097 and jimcorbin like this.
  7. porschedog

porschedog

I have Gun Vaults in my vehicles. They are pretty basic and inexpensive. One has the tumbler lock while the other requires a key.

n2g, glock1097 and bigchuck83 like this.
  8. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

Gun Vaults NV300 fits under seat most vehicles $25-$35 retail. Simple easy to use 3 digit combination, about 3.5" max barrel, Glock 26/27/33 size.
    https://www.gunvault.com/product/nanovault-300/

glock1097, Bill Keith and porschedog like this.
  9. unit1069

unit1069

I also have the inexpensive 3-digit tumbler GunVault safe. Been very happy with it so far. I believe they're $30.

porschedog and NMG26 like this.
  10. jmohme

jmohme

I'm not sure what i would do in your situation, but I am not a big fan of leaving my gun in a car, even if it is in a locked box.
    I am also not thrilled about leaving my gun at home where it does me no good.

Like I said, I just don't know what I would do.

treg likes this.
  11. jp3975

jp3975

Currently a 2011 Hyundai sonata.

I'm not worried about leaving it unsecured. It's just a work requirement.

Primary concern is quick, convenient access and not too expensive unless it's something unique. Like made to fit the car with fast access in mind.

12. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

Quick, convenient, made to fit, cheap?
    Not compatible parameters.

Benchrst and FAS1 like this.
  13. nerr

nerr

Cheap boxes tend to have key or rudimentary combo lock making access fairly slow. You start getting quicker access with electronic locks, but more expensive. Snap Safe (now owned by Hornady) has some nice vaults, but pretty pricey. Their RFID opening technology makes for really quick access with bracelets, keyfobs, stickies.

They have one unit that sits between console and seat, tethered to the seats and tensioned with an air bladder between the seat and console. I don't like this because it seems pretty visible from outside: I'd rather have hidden in console .... but then access is slower.

glock1097 likes this.
  14. garya1961

garya1961

Company policy no guns on premises but a 3 judge panel ruled in NC that you could have a gun in your locked car.
    If they ever try to search me I would just refuse anyway. I would quit before I be treated like a common criminal.

gamecocks, treg and redneck ron like this.
  15. unit1069

unit1069

My method is to turn only one digit off combination on the three-digit tumbler lock. It takes all of a second to open the box. A thief wouldn't know which tumbler to turn or to what number, and once that happens the chance of needing all three tumblers to align again are much greater than if s/he got lucky at the outset.

Benchrst and jp3975 like this.
  16. powernoodle

powernoodle

Any type of cable lock or vehicle safe would be sufficient to dissuade almost all smash and grab artists - especially if they don't see it in the first place. I don't have any data to prove it, but would guess that the average window smasher knucklehead spends about 10 seconds in a car opening the glove compartment and console, and looking around for anything loose to grab.

That being said, I would not leave a gun in the car. Unless I were going through a metal detector, a gun would be in my pocket at work irrespective of the policy. That may not work for you jp as you say its a defense job.

gamecocks, treg and kahrcarrier like this.
  17. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I don't consider any of the cable-attached under-seat boxes 'quick-access'. Totally adequate if just leaving in the vehicle for those times you can't carry - unless targeted. I have discovered that the batteries give out sooner than I like on these.

glock1097 and jp3975 like this.
  18. jp3975

jp3975

I hate to risk printing or anything like that.

My luck, over the career something will happen to expose the gun.

I really just need something to meet the company requirement.

Cheap is fine but slightly more is fine if there is something impressive.

19. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Get one of the underseat keyed boxes that are secured with a cable. Lock the gun in when you can't carry it and have to leave the car; either holster it or put it in the center console when you get back in. Center console is quick access.

glock1097, R_P_K_ and jp3975 like this.
  20. DocPoison

DocPoison

I use console vault with the a truck gun in it. It is pretty sturdy but if a thief wants in, I am sure there is a way. My truck is garaged at night and I am parked in public only an hour or two at a time. If I were to take my truck to work and leave a gun in it all day, I would t also upgrade my vehicle security system. 9U1xYnGiR3Gfi%dl+RdqGg.jpg MPINjnh5TI614JMOYQAKGw.jpg 76Kjs%PxQyKSaBw1kkGxjg.jpg

redneck ron, plp, -JCN- and 3 others like this.