close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So I bought my first motorcycle

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by FoxMustang, May 6, 2006.

1. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

A '97 Suzuki GS500E.

Pics from the seller: clicky

Now I just need to learn how to ride it, LOL :)

I had planned to take an MSF course this summer, THEN buy a motorcycle, but I couldn't pass this deal up. I've been watching the local classifieds for about a year now, and it's damn rare to find a nice starter bike. Seems like the only thing people sell around here are Harleys and repli-racers. So I pretty much had to jump on this one.

I'm still definitely going to take the MSF course. I think I'm just gonna park the bike until then (couple of months, at least), I don't want to have to unlearn bad habits.

And yes I will be spending lots of money on good protective gear :)

2. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I about bought my first motorcycle about 3 weeks ago.

A 2001 Ninja with 1400 miles on it. The owner rode it one summer and traded it to his buddy. Buddy had it in the garage and never rode it. Needed some money so he was selling it for:

$500

I missed it by about 30 minutes.

3. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Congrats, the GS500e has a great reputation as an easy bike to ride but with enough power that you'll be happy with it for awhile.

Park it for a few months until after the MSF?? Theoretically a good idea, but not me brother!!!

4. FoxMustang

Ouch :frown:

That's what I've read all over, and my buddy that drove it home for me told me the same thing. I think he was really impressed with how light and easy to handle it was.

It may be tough, but this is a long time coming, and a few more months is nothing :)

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Well at least you'll have the time to go over every inch, nook and cranny, to examine and polish it up.

Though my $$ is still on a ride within a few days, tops, no way you will be able to resist ;)

6. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

1. It's good that you're going to take the MSF class but why do you have to wait so long to do that?
    2. I don't think I could watch it sit in the garage that long; I think I would at least ride it around the neighborhood to get used to shifting, braking.
    3. Good point on un-learning bad habits though. :)

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Just a quick point for motorcycle newbies. Just remember there is a reason a bikes front brakes are much larger than the rear. Use the right lever and leave the right pedal alone (at least for now). My brother is a bike mechanic and can always tell the squids by how much their rear brake pads are worn (usually worn out rears and pristine fronts). That is a HORRIBLE habit to get into.

Also practice counter-steering (applying pressure to the inside bar). You can get away with man-handling a small bike, but on a bigger bike (like my GPz 1100) it will not go anywhere unless you counter-steer.

8. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

This is something I could just never understand because although I never had any formal training on my first bike this technique was just second nature for me. I can't imagine trying to ride a bike WITHOUT using counter-steering.

Yet when I went through my first MSF class a couple of years ago some of the folks in the class just couldn't grasp the concept.

9. FoxMustang

Yup, that's the plan. The bike has been sitting for a bit and I think the carb could do with a little cleaning. Nothing major, though.

Oh, I have very strong willpower :) Besides, I figure if I hold off on getting insurance or plates for it that'll pretty much make the decision for me ;)

I'm taking the class at the local community college, and all the classes in May and June filled up within 12 hours of registration opening.

I just now got notice in the mail that my registration for the July class was accepted. Yay :) Gonna be toasty no doubt.

There might have been one of those Harley "Riders Edge" classes available sooner, but the cost is almost double, and I'm not in that much of a hurry. Like I said, I've waited this long, no reason to rush now :)

I've heard that, that's definitely one of those bad habits I need to avoid.

I've read about that, and it makes sense to me in theory. But applying it in real life will no doubt take some practice :)

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Congratulation on the bike!!! The GS500 is a good all-around bike, not to mention that it sips the gas. Handy in this day and age.

11. mlcs

mlcs

my first bike a kawa ninja 600 1986 with a 1996 engine, at least thats what i was told . the bike is a rocket. the kid needed money so i took it of his hands for $300.00 of course it needed work because he layed it down and mickey moused it to death. parts i have already replaced - headlight , mirrors ,turn signals, t'stat housing and coolant pipes,locking gas cap, repaired and painted all fairings and tank ( almost finished with this) re wired about half of bike with correct gage wire, no household lamp wire as it had on it . foot pegs were repaced (broken) all i need is some new tires and she is ready to roll.

12. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

You've made a really smart selection for a starter bike, congratulations.