Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Which recipe should I use for these fresh mahi filets?

• Mediterranean (onions, tomatoes, olives, and sweet peppers)

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Piccata (lemon, white wine, butter, and capers)

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Fra diavolo (spicy tomato sauce)

Votes: 7 10.4%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just gave me some beautiful mahi filets. I want to do something different than garlic and butter, but I can't decide.

Reactions: TBO

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I don't have any recipes but you should be very grateful that I don't have your address or I might be knocking at your door around dinner time! :)

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Mediterranean, hold the olives.

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I don't have any recipes but you should be very grateful that I don't have your address or I might be knocking at your door around dinner time! :)
Ok.
It was a toss up between 1 and 3, but I voted.

Reactions: Hannie Caulder

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Salt and a hot grill. Nice hard sear with good heavy grill marks. Serve with a mango/cilantro/onion/tomato salsa with a heavy dose of fresh lime juice.
Hot fish, cold salsa.
I have to try that sometime.

But these filets are too nice to experiment with. I want to fix them a way I have done many times before, so it has to be one of the three choices in the poll.

If it’s good fish, and you’re a good cook, you don’t want to smother them in sauce. Let the natural flavor of the fish come out.
Exactly. Mahi is very good fish. That's why I narrowed it down to the three poll choices, all of them complement the flavor of the fish instead of covering it up (like blackening).

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
I have never tried those recipes, but love almost any fresh fish dish. If I had to pick one, it would be the Piccata. Strong seasonings tend to overpower the fish.
I prefer breaded and deep fried most of the time. Broiled with salt, black pepper, and melted butter with fresh lemon juice, after removing it from the oven, would be my second choice. I'm making a scallop and shrimp paella tonight. I would not hesitate to cube some fresh Mahi and add it to the mix.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,407 Posts

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
If you have Kikkoman or better available, grill in soy sauce and butter. Don’t use too much soy sauce. Don’t use Chinese trash soy sauce.

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you have Kikkoman or better available, grill in soy sauce and butter.
I never tried soy sauce. That might be good with redfish on the half shell.

Reactions: Grabbrass
1 - 20 of 94 Posts