GlockTalk Forum banner

How much coffee do you consume in a typical day?

• 1 to 2 cups

Votes: 62 36.7%
  • 3 to 4 cups

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • 5 to 7 cups

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • 8 to 10 cups

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • More than 10 cups.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I don't know, but it's measured in gallons.

Votes: 9 5.3%
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
15,326 Posts
I said 1-2 as thats normal every now and then I will have a cup at dinner time if I feel im lagging or..missed my nap ;) and im in no rush to get to bed early that night(by 10 PM if im going to bed early at 10pm i will skip the evening coffee)

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
lol, "what is a cup of coffee?" gets answers all over the place. Apparently it is whatever you want it to be at this point!

There's this:

"Why is a cup of coffee 6 oz?
In fact, a cup of water for making coffee is generally only 6 ounces. ... For the right ratio of water to beans, you want 6 fluid ounces of water to 1 tablespoon of ground coffee. There is a chance that your coffee maker already uses the 6-ounce measurement for its cup.Nov 3, 2016"

And then this:

Short version:
Effective July 16, 2016 in the US, the official serving size of a cup of coffee is 12 ounces.
Long version:
For purposes of nutritional labeling, the US Food and Drug Administration has set "Reference amounts customarily consumed (RACC) per eating occasion" for common foods.
The official reference amount for a sweetened cup of coffee was 8 ounces (240 mL).
Interesting, that black coffee has no reference amount. I believe that black coffee is exempt from nutrition labeling (and reference amounts) because black coffee has scant nutritional value.
You notice I stated "was 8 ounces." Effective July 16, 2016, the official description of a cup of coffee will be 12 ounces (21 CFR 101.12 it's about a quarter way down the page).
The Federal Register entry announcing the change said:
Since that time, consumption patterns have changed so that the RACC for some beverages has increased from 8 oz to 12 oz. Because the consumption amount has increased for certain beverages, such products for which the RACC has increased may appropriately no longer be able to make ‘‘free’’ claims. As noted previously, we intend to consider in a future rulemaking issues such as whether any changes in eligibility for claims would assist consumers in constructing healthy diets and whether the criteria for claims remain appropriate.
==============================

Reactions: Hannie Caulder

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Caffeine doesn't cause baldness. That's an old wives tale. Baldness is hereditary. All caffeine does is dehydrate you so if you are properly hydrating and drinking water anyway there is nothing to worry about. Pasta, soda, fried food, alchohol, and the sun does the same thing. Do you avoid all of that too on your beach days?
That being said I drink one to two cups of coffee a day. Not bald and not wrinkling.
Probably nothing worse than the sun for wrinkles and she loves the beach!
You are both correct. Caffeine (and alcohol) dehydrate your skin and accelerate hair loss if you are genetically predisposed to baldness. So it doesn't actually "cause" baldness, I stand corrected.

And you are right about the sun. I never sunbathe, I am always under a big beach umbrella. Just the reflected sun off the sand is enough to give me a healthy glow. Those beach bunnies you see laying in the sun will have skin like leather by the time they are 40.

Also I drink gallons of water and moisturize every night. So far no wrinkles. Mommy has almost no wrinkles, so I have good genes.

The studies I am aware of are that in moderation, coffee has health benefits especially for men (prostate cancer).
Yes, coffee is a great source of antioxidants.

Reactions: NAZG26 and 45caldan

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Mom drank coffee and pop drank tea. I drank neither until at age 26 I bumped into an old high school friend when we were both new in town 700 miles from where we grew up, and went in together on an apartment to save money. He put me on to espresso drinks. I was hooked.

I've been firing up this 45 year old machine since 1991 to make a quadruple shot caffè macchiato every morning. I love the sight glass and pressure gauge. It's four shots of espresso with a small amount of foamed milk added. More espresso than milk, that and some sugar. I can barely get started without it. Nothing for the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Since retirement 1-2 cups per day. When working i drank coffee all day, my guess would be 6 large cups a day. I kept my coffee maker going continuously in my office, hence, I had many friends.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have a small Mr. Coffee. It make five cups per brew. Of course they're definition of "cup" is 5oz. I make a full pot, and drink it, so I guess 25oz. This works out to a mug and a half.

·
Lost in transit
6,622 Posts
You are both correct. Caffeine (and alcohol) dehydrate your skin and accelerate hair loss if you are genetically predisposed to baldness. So it doesn't actually "cause" baldness, I stand corrected.

And you are right about the sun. I never sunbathe, I am always under a big beach umbrella. Just the reflected sun off the sand is enough to give me a healthy glow. Those beach bunnies you see laying in the sun will have skin like leather by the time they are 40.

Also I drink gallons of water and moisturize every night. So far no wrinkles. Mommy has almost no wrinkles, so I have good genes.

Yes, coffee is a great source of antioxidants.

I drink two cups only every day for the benefits. In the morning. Then I make sure to brush the hell out of my teeth so I don't get staining or bad breath. Just like I take vitamin c and D every day and exercise. I feel the pros of coffee outweigh the cons. I also drink it black like my heart because I am not a fan of sugar.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Coffee, Alcohol, many Prescription Drugs will burn up more vitamins.
Leading to deficiencies.
Especially water soluble vitamins like Vitamin C, the B-Complex, especially B-3 which is Thiamine.
A deficiency of any is bad for overall health, memory etc
Thiamine deficiency can occur rapidly and causes chaos in your overall health, memory, Alzheimer’s, or even worse Beriberi symptoms.
Also Minerals like Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc,
So buy good Multi Vitamins and Multi Minerals.
(1) I use Life Extension brand multi-vitamin/ mineral formula.
Their “Two a Day” formula.
Take one with 2 different meals per day.
This is a minimum as to what you should take.
It has minerals too and the critical Vitamin D3 to protect you against COVID-19.
(2) Life Extension Omega 3 fish oil capsules.
Take 3 or more per day with meals.
I take extra vitamins too, but this is a good starting point.
what the hell!!! , you expect to die healthy???? no way.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
3 to 4 pots a day. Two in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one after supper. Yes, pots, not cups. I'm bald and wrinkled but what do you expect, I'm 63 years old.
question is... can you still get (it) up and running??? that's all that matters to me.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have 2 cups. and by 2 cups I mean 2, 30oz yetis.

Either both are poured from my 32oz cold brew making thing, or I split it up and have one cup of the cold brew and then brew a full 30oz of hot coffee in the french press. The cold brew is less liquid by volume, but apparently stronger.

But I need that instant ready to pour coffee in the morning. if I forget to make that cold brew and get out the shower and have to F around with the french press I get pissy. nobody got time to brew and cool coffee in the morning.

on my nights off before I head back into a couple days of night shift I'll drink one of these at 8pm or so.... be rollin till 4am...320mg caffeine... yes please

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have 2 cups. and by 2 cups I mean 2, 30oz yetis.

Either both are poured from my 32oz cold brew making thing, or I split it up and have one cup of the cold brew and then brew a full 30oz of hot coffee in the french press. The cold brew is less liquid by volume, but apparently stronger.

But I need that instant ready to pour coffee in the morning. if I forget to make that cold brew and get out the shower and have to F around with the french press I get pissy. nobody got time to brew and cool coffee in the morning.

on my nights off before I head back into a couple days of night shift I'll drink one of these at 8pm or so.... be rollin till 4am...320mg caffeine... yes please

View attachment 909280
Coffee is a glass bottle, great stuff. I also like the groundwork brand in thr cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I drink two cups only every day for the benefits. In the morning. Then I make sure to brush the hell out of my teeth so I don't get staining or bad breath. Just like I take vitamin c and D every day and exercise. I feel the pros of coffee outweigh the cons. I also drink it black like my heart because I am not a fan of sugar.
I brush my teeth first thing in the morning, and then again after breakfast.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe 1-2 X a year, only if I’m outside and cold, and there is no Bushmills or hot cocoa.

Most mornings are a shaken scoop of protein powder in skim milk, or 2 cans of V-8 w a few dashes of powdered habanero.

or if I spoil myself a huge ice cold glass of fresh squeezed orange juice with half a lemon, and half a lime squeezed in it. It’s amazing!

as far as dehydration, wrinkles, hair loss, maybe my vegetable juice/water/citrus juice intake counters this?

121 - 140 of 142 Posts