So how are those FL, GA, TX and TN case numbers?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by EOS, May 17, 2020.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Sigh.

The 'if it's not 100% effective, it's completely ineffective' argument is one that really rubs me the wrong way in any context, not just Coronavirus, because it's a strong sign that someone is being intentionally argumentative and disingenuous.

Even a bandanna or fishing sun gaiter over the face will substantially reduce the maximum distance droplets from a cough will travel, per this study, from about 8' to 3' for a bandana, down to about 2.5" for a quilted fabric mask. https://www.kcbd.com/2020/07/01/bandana-is-least-effective-form-face-mask-study-says

Is either of these as effective as a non-vented N95 mask? No, of course not. Will either of them protect you fully from breathing in a virus-laden droplet? No, of course not. Is reducing the distance you spew your potentially-toxic liquids a real and substantial method of mitigating virus spread - yes, absolutely.

While obviously not as effective as a properly fitted N95/N100 mask, or a positive pressure respirator, ANY face covering creates a substantial reduction in outgoing virus-laden droplets, and will also catch many incoming droplets.

Would it be better if we had enough N95 masks for everyone? Of course. But somehow, we're more than six months into this and STILL don't have anything like enough PPE in production, in part because the Feds haven't taken it seriously. Same story for teaching the general public how to use these masks to get the most effectiveness out of them.

Look, I don't like wearing a cloth or surgical-style mask one bit, just like everyone else. We ALL know they're less effective than we'd like them to be, and wearing/using them incorrectly further reduces their effectiveness.

But unless/until we source a billion or so N95's, cloth and surgical-style masks what we have to stand between us and the possibility of ending up on a ventilator for a month or worse.

It sucks, but it's all we have available at this time.

I profoundly wish the Feds and state-level health departments were doing a much better job of educating people about the differences in effectiveness between t-shirt material, bandannas, layered cloth, surgical-style masks, etc... but doing so would mean admitting that they're not as good as N95+ options would be, so they're staying quiet.

PPE, hand sanitizer and vast amounts of hand washing are our best tools for keeping things open and recovering the economy.

IMHO, if we'd had a functional PPE stockpile up front at the state, county and federal levels, we'd never have gone through the whole shutdown insanity... but without even enough PPE for medical personnel, much less the general public, we ended up shutting down and having to drop a couple TRILLION dollars on stimulus.

All because we didn't have masks, and now we're doing it again because people claim that masks aren't worth wearing unless they're perfectly effective.

Cloth masks aren't anywhere near perfect, especially bandannas. But they're a huge improvement over nothing at all.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Csv, icantpick, TeaDub and 5 others like this.
  2. Sharkey

Sharkey

Maybe it is because asymptomatic people are rarely contagious or so says the WHO. Aren't they medical experts?

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Testing and contagion are not related as you can still be found to have the virus and not show symptoms and still be contagious.

WHO walked that back a bit. https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

At this point no one really appears to be an "expert". What we can do is follow known guidelines that slow the spread of the vast majority of diseases.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  4. thwalker13

thwalker13

According to latest, +20 deaths since yesterday. Knoxville has mandated masks are required for public.

Still waiting on my plague Dr. mask to arrive.

5. Dave514

Dave514

6. B C

B C

Yep, that was BS.

It's still all about the election. Killing the economy, getting rid of Trump rallies, promoting mail in voting, and keeping Biden in the basement and out of the public eye.

EOS likes this.
  7. Gundude

Gundude

Sounds good. Generally, forcing entire industries to shut down is not in the established guidelines to deal with the vast majority of diseases. I bet if they said "We're opening everything up now, because masks work well, so please wear them and try to stay safe out there", there would be a lot less conflict on the subject. But the continued imposition of livelihood-destroying business and activity restrictions is undermining any possible unity on that front.

LandRover and Deanster like this.
  8. syntaxerrorsix

Can't argue with that.

9. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

Do you agree with mask mandates?

Can the government compel me to wear something?

10. syntaxerrorsix

I'd say no. They can however restrict your public presence if you refuse. In exactly the same manner they can keep unvaccinated children out of public schools. Private companies will follow the law and make their own decisions on whether or not you are allowed unmasked on their property.

11. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

Not when taken with the context of how irrationally butthurt people get when you don’t wear a barely effectual t-shirt mask which amounts to essentially pantomime as I’ve said. I make the case that many are wearing masks to appease the sensibilities of crybullies rather than to stop the transmission of a virus. Because if stopping the transmission of a virus is why their wearing their bandanas, t-shirt masks and fishing gaiters then they’re just looking stupid.

Studies and data have to be considered suspect in these times. And what savage doesn’t cover their mouth when they cough? Like any other time, why do we need to wear a mask to accomplish what we can and always do every time a virus comes? Cover your damn mouth.

I’ve never worn a mask since the pandemic began. I’ve never altered my daily life since it began. I shop in stores, I eat in restaurants since they’ve been open. Because I’m simply smart. I wash my hands, I use hand sanitizer often and I keep my distance from strangers because I’ve always done this. I don’t need a mask and I certainly don’t need a decree from a state governor.

Defer to my above response.

Cloth masks accomplish what covering your mouth does. I don’t call that a huge improvement. I call that theatre to appease.

B C and slym2none like this.
  12. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

I will not comply. If a private business compels me to put a mask on I will kindly and calmly leave and take my business elsewhere.

I’m not going to be a part of this ridiculous theatre.

13. syntaxerrorsix

..that's your prerogative and leaving is the right answer.

14. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

Bull. I've already posted material that refutes your position. You are still wrong.

15. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

No one should listen to ANYTHING a “public health official” says after that. All credibility, of which they had very little, is gone.

LandRover and B C like this.
  16. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

So cloth masks are as effective as surgical masks or n-95? What exactly have you refuted?

17. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

Yes and yes.

Walk down the street naked and see what happens. Drive without a seatbelt on and see what happens.

Deanster likes this.
  18. syntaxerrorsix

Meh, helmet laws and seatbelt laws are Nanny state garbage. Not infecting other people is a pro liberty stance.

You can do what you want until it affects my liberty to be free from you.

Deanster likes this.
  19. Sharkey

Sharkey

He probably won't answer. That is his M.O.

Terrible here in TX - with all the protests, with all the testing, with all the false positives, with all the tainted tests, with all the experts that don't know chit.

Honestly, it is a wonder I am alive to type this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

EOS likes this.
  20. Sharkey

Sharkey

But but they have medical experts and everything. How dare you sir. They ARE the World Health Organization.

Can someone point me to the most factual medical expert. WHO, CDC, Fauci, Brix, Surgeon General, county health dept. mayors, governors.

Maybe I should wait another 3 months and see if the narrative changes? I will be locked up on the house monitoring GT. Godspeed, we are doomed, doomed I say!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk