so had my first run in with LEO

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Oramac, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Oramac

Oramac

went pretty well i think

was riding back home with a friend of mine from texas and she got pulled over for expired plates. :rofl: he went through the normal routine with her, and for reasons i've yet to figure out, asked for my ID too. figured at that point it was probably best to give him my DL and CCW since in MO im not actually required to inform. told him i had a firearm on me as i handed him the IDs. first thing he did was ask me what i carry. told him a glock 26. he says thats a very nice gun. sadly then he proceeds to disarm me. :( didnt want to make a big scene about it since my friend was borderline hysterical at this point so i just went along with it. the cop was really cool about it though. went back and ran the ID's, gave me back my gun and our ID's, and the only thing he said was, "no ticket for [the driver], and you [me] need to clean your Glock!"

got a good chuckle out of that. overall went pretty well i think. nice guy.

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

How embarrassing!!!!!!!!!! :animlol:

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

4. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I'm glad it wasn't an unpleasnt experience.

It's the officers discression to disarm or not. I'm a Police Officer and appreciate when informed the person is armed. Some states don't require notification, I wish they all did. Since your friend was "borderline hysterical" for my protection, your protection and her safety I probably would have disarmed the carry person also.

As long as everyone is talking and fairly calm I talk about the firearm the CCW holder has and soforth. That keeps tensions down.

5. itstime

itstime

LOL. That is funny.

6. vicven

vicven

I would have done the same as you... But I wonder if there are any cops out there who would "freak out". I mean, why disarm you when you didn't have to tell him?

I hope cops appreciate the fact that you inform them. Showing a CCW permit is a sign of being "squeaky clean". I wonder how LEOs are trained to deal with CCW permit holders...

Perhaps one of them could chime in...

Thanks for sharing!

7. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is strange that he would ID the passenger. Since I wasn't there, I can't really guess as to why that was done. But I will say that on an ordinary traffic stop where there is nothing else out of the ordinary going on, we would need to have some sort of articulable reason for identifying the passenger, since our business is with the driver. Either way, glad to hear that it turned out well for you.

8. thornesguns

thornesguns

I've come into contact with several officers and NONE of them cared. I tell them i'm carrying and they just say "thats nice" or "thanks". never been disarmed.

9. BKG-22

BKG-22 Millennium Member

I was pulled over for a traffic violation a couple of years ago while carrying. It is Michigan law that I have to notify the officer as the first order of business and I was a little concerned.

When I told him I had a CPL and a pistol in my possession, he asked where it was at (G19, IWB, 4:00). There was a slight pause and he instructed me to keep my hands on the steering wheel at all times unless instructed otherwise.

The rest of the stop went as usual, nothing more said about the G19 at my side. And yes, he gave me the speeding ticket :upeyes:

10. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

He might have wanted to check to see if you had any outstanding warrants or attactments. Its pretty common around here for LE to ask for the passenger's ID.

11. maddyfish

maddyfish Guest

So were you required to inform where you where when you were stopped or not?
    I never inform unless required to by law. My only experience with informing was a friend of mine. He was disarmed, the cop was extremely dangerous in doing so (couldn't figure out the holster retention and waved the gun all over the place), couldn't figure out how to unload it, and placed it on the hood of the cop car thus allowing it to slide down and fall onto the ground-while still loaded.
    Need to remember not all cops are well informed about firearms and may not be able to safely handle yours-endangering you in the process
    And some cops are strongly anti- freedom and may cause you troubles that you don't need.
    They and you are best off if they don't know about it. So, for their own protection and yours, don't tell unless required to by law. My safety is best served by not informing.

12. chief

chief

can anyone point to a general statute of any state that allows law enforcement to perform a warrantless search or seizure (even if only temporary) of someone not suspected of a crime not related to the original traffic stop (ie: speeding, not signaling, sticker expired, etc.) ???

13. rbrtweber85

rbrtweber85

Laws varry by the state. In montana, they just changed the law so that when I make a traffic stop on a vehicle it's for everyone in the vehicle not just the driver.

14. Oramac

Oramac

thanks for your concern, but here in Mo the CCW is attached to your DL. so the instant he ran my DL number he'd have known i had a CCW anyway. i figured it was best to tell him myself rather than let his dispatcher tell him.

as for the thing about the driver being hysterical, she wasnt violent or anything. more like crying and upset about the thought of a ticket.

15. Ersatz

Ersatz

Shall we bill you? Why do you feel it's relevant?

16. DonL

DonL

Passengers in a car don't have to show an ID for a driver infraction. This is in all states....The general consensus is to go along with the abusement for fear of further more aggressive abuse. All of which is inconsistent with their oath of office. Clearly, they seem to lie a lot.

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd say being in a vehicle as it is lawfully detained is "related"

18. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I stutter and while we aren't required to inform LE when we are stopped for something, I figure that is in my best interest to hand over my HCL with my DL just so everyone is at ease.

It really sucks to stutter in those stressful moments as you usually can't say crap with mouthful of it.

19. packsaddle

packsaddle

Sounds like the officer was just fishing.

Asking to see your ID is not against the law.

If he didn't know you were armed, you could have refused to show him your ID.

Unless he could articulate reasonable suspicion/probable cause in his report, he likely would have not pursued the matter any further.

Once again, it's not against the law to ask for your ID.

However, unless you are a suspect, you do have the right to say "no".

20. Jca1386

Jca1386

Vicven, Most of the guys I work with really could care less if you are carrying. It's one less thing they have to worry about when they are on a traffic stop....

There are plenty people in our great state of CT:shakehead::shakehead: that are less than squeaky clean that have their permit to carry. Speaking first hand...