So glad I'm not Catholic...

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Kentak, Sep 23, 2015.

1. robbcayman

robbcayman

Of course. Then so was the resurrection, virgin birth, worldwide flood.. let's just say the whole thing was. ;)

2. Dave514

Dave514

No, no, no....all that stuff, plus a talking snake....totally literal an believable. But 'Gay Marriage'....now that's just "unnatural".

robbcayman likes this.

3. Dave514

Dave514

Just in case anyone missed it or thinks I am pulling their leg, and before Iamaarmed embarrasses himself by denying it....

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/funny-religious-memes.1593087/page-6#post-22495211

4. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

I did not say I would punch anyone. I said there would be a confrontation. How far it would escalate would depend on what the person said and how he would react after I responded to his remark. I would not insult anyone's loved ones. What I did here was try to drive home a point that you insulting my God was as vile and ignorant as insulting your loved ones. Guess it went over your head.

The comment about saying grace over a meal and you making fun of it I would just chalk up to your ignorance and lack of class. Definitely not enough to get me upset, much less angry. Some times one must consider the source.

5. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Because one has just lost a loved one and feels the loss realizing they will no longer be with them here on this earth. The individual as a feeling person wants everything to be wonderful NOW. But now they just lost a loved one and will not be with them for a while. Have you ever heard of people crying when someone goes away to school or moves away? They feel the loss NOW. The more they love them the more the remorse of losing them for a while. Atheists are capable of love and emotion, aren't they?

6. Dave514

Dave514

I understood your attempt to make a point. It was just terribly unsuccessful because I can control my emotions. What it did do was reveal to me what steps you would go to in order to show everyone how offended you were. And it also revealed to you how your level of being offended was not a problem with regards to the TOS of this site but that where you took the conversation was against the TOS of this site.

What I also know is that if someone said something vile about my family and I responded with a punch....I would be acting against the TOS of our laws while the person trying to offend me would not be.

This should be an important lesson for you.

7. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

You sort of contradict yourself. you say, I understood your attempt to make a point. It was just terribly unsuccessful, then add because I can control my emotions. Either you understood the point or you didn't. Your emotions have nothing to do with it.

8. Dave514

Dave514

The point was made because everyone is smart enough to comprehend what you were trying to accomplish but the attempt to do it by offending people was unsuccessful.

9. robbcayman

robbcayman

Sure, there would be some sadness. However, you would think people would be so excited that their loved one would feel no more pain, would be reunited with other family members & friends, bask in the glow of Jesus and so on. I don't get that feeling at Christian funerals I have been to. YMMV

10. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Your argument is flawed, and frankly, you are coming off as a bit smug.

Why would someone's beliefs about what happens to a loved one after they die lessen the loss of that loved one to the grieving?

We grieve based on what that loved one meant to us when they were here. If my wife dies, I experience the loss of my companion. My children lose all the love and care a mother provides.

Regardless of what a person believes, the loved one is gone from their lives.

11. Dave514

Dave514

But you do take comfort in knowing that they are in a "better place", right?

12. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Possibly. I haven't expressed any personal beliefs one way or another.

Or maybe, I just don't have contempt for those who do have faith that some others here do.

13. captcurly

captcurly

Like I said I am not a very religious person but I do respect the rights of others including IMHO warped opinions of yourself. What I should have said was that maybe we need some faith (not BS retiuals). You have to admit that the direction of the USA is off track track. I have a question for you SunduneCC. Is the Pledge of Allegiance ritual BS? Is placing your hand over ones heart when the Star Spangled Banner is played ritual BS? When you join the US Military and take the oath is that ritual BS? You are a man of no faith and that is OK but that is your business. I would not bad mouth your beliefs but you have no problem doing the same to others,.

14. Dave514

Dave514

Well you asked "Why would someone's beliefs about what happens to a loved one after they die lessen the loss of that loved one to the grieving?"

And I am explaining why it would "lessen the loss".

If someone does take comfort in knowing that they are in a "better place"....that would "lessen the loss", right?

15. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

The loss is the same regardless of whether the loved one goes to a "better place" or not.

16. Dave514

Dave514

Wow, that is pretty standard stuff but it came quickly.

Lol, ok, you are going to make us define "lessen the loss". We are not talking about the physical loss. We are talking about the pain of the loss. After all, you said "Why would someone's beliefs about what happens to a loved one after they die lessen the loss of that loved one to the grieving?" We're talking about the grief. Not the physical absence of the body.

Are you stating that the greif of the loss, for the Christian loved ones, is not lessened by knowing the person who died is going to a "better place?"

17. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

I'm saying that the mocking assertion by the poster who questioned why Christians weren't celebrating their loved one eating apple pie with Jesus was wrong.

If I die, my wife and kids might take some solace if they believe I am in a better place, but they are still losing all that is provided by a husband and father (love, companionship, guidance, financial support). Belief in an afterlife has nothing to do with grieving for the loss of those things.

Frankly, I think that poster and others here are arguing from a bias that religious people are so simple- minded that they can take sport (from their lofty position) with their beliefs.

18. Dave514

Dave514

I am not in disagreement, nor was I discussing any of those points.

You asked "Why would someone's beliefs about what happens to a loved one after they die lessen the loss of that loved one to the grieving?"

I was addressing that.

19. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Depends on how they lived their life. I don't make that decision. That is going to be between their soul and God. I believe He knows better than I what the fate of that soul should be.

20. Dave514

Dave514

:rolleyes:
    Sounds like you take solace in that.

Obviously we're talking about the family being under the impression that their loved one is going to heaven.

If we include every possible variable which discounts "a better place" I will let you know.