So glad I'm not Catholic...

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Kentak, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Kentak

Kentak

What a bunch a ritualistic BS.

Also, was parked at McDonalds eating my burger and fries in the car when the cab driver next to me throws down his prayer rug and does his thing (in the direction of Mecca). More ritualistic BS.

Rant over.

2. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Did you tell the cab driver it was BS or did you eat your burger and shut the f--- up? Oh wait I think I know you are here able to tell your wonderful story. By the way I am not Muslim, I am a Catholic.

MSW likes this.

3. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

I dislike any kind of ritual be it religion oriented or not.

4. NMG26

NMG26

I am very happy for you as well!

5. Dave514

Dave514

What would you do if Kentak saw you praying over your food, like a good Catholic, at McDonald's and told you it was BS?

6. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

Like the good atheist I am when in a restaurant I always tell people praying that it is BS just before I steal their food.

Oh yeah, then I run while eating the food. After that I litter the area with the food wrappers.

Of course that's because only the believers understand moral values...yep.

I'm still alive and able to tell my stories because I can run faster than the believers since I don't have those damn books, or a rug weighing me down.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    1-2man, Dave514 and SanduneCC like this.
  7. Kentak

Kentak

How do you know that cab driver isn't reading my post on this forum?

I get where you're going, so let me add:

If I see---

A Muslim in his daily prayers, or
    A Catholic making the sign of the cross, or
    A Jew wearing orthodox attire,

I don't go up to them and tell them their rituals are BS. But, this is a forum where all sorts of views about religion, pro and con, are discussed. I expressed my relief at not being being bound by supernatural ritualistic BS. Catholic or otherwise.

mj9mm likes this.
  8. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

BBBBWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I'm very religious, and I'm going to both defend and agree with you.

I find ritual in virtually any form to be completely without meaning or spiritual value, except for the fact that it does often facilitate large groups of people socializing their love for God & each other. But I don't go to churches as a rule, unless invited for a visit, and don't normally do rituals at all, ever, unless I chance to be in the company of others who normally do these things in their own environment. And then I'll participate just to avoid offending anyone.

But of course, if I was eating roasted kangaroo with a bunch of stone age Australian natives, I'd be just as quick to grab some animal bones and dance around their camp fire with them to (supposedly) influence the outcome of their hunts. (In fact, I'd enjoy that about 100 times more) I really see little difference due to the same lack of real spiritual meaning, but I'd participate when in their company even though I think it's useless & silly.

Sometimes when you're in Rome, you gotta do at least a little bit of what the Romans do if you're going to work yourself into a position to be a good influence on them later.

10. BrentC

BrentC

Do you like weddings? They have rituals in them.

11. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Suicide vest.

12. Dave514

Dave514

Well, the Catholic IRA bombers may have made vests....but they were smart enough to put them on their victims rather than blow themselves up.

mj9mm likes this.
  13. JMag

JMag

Ritualism turns many away from organized religion, particularly Catholicism and the like. No offense intended. We Protestants don't have many rituals.

14. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

What about new enlistees taking their oath, or a stadium full of sports fans (talk about stupid meaningless rituals) standing for the National Anthem?

15. captcurly

captcurly

Religion is not a big part in my life. I do however do not care if somebody practices his or her religion. This is still America,I think, and people have the right to practice their religion. If one gets pissed or bummed out because someone is practicing a religious thing one has a problem. The direction this country is headed in is not good and maybe some rirtualistic BS would possibly correct the situation.

16. Kentak

Kentak

Yes, thank you for the reasoned response. I fully recognize that many rituals, both religious and non-religious, carry a social component.

17. Kentak

Kentak

I make a distinction between supernatural (religious) rituals and non-religious traditions, and civil formalities.

18. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Some people take comfort from rituals. Some don't. God loves them all.

19. Kentak

Kentak

I groan if I find out I have to attend a Catholic wedding. A simple Protestant ceremony, I can manage. A civil ceremony is a piece of cake (literally-at the reception).

For each, I can equally appreciate the meaning of the commitment the couple is making and celebrating the love they share.

By any objective view, what’s important about a wedding ceremony is the meaning it has to the couple being married. The necessity of religious rituals is an external imposition, albeit one that the participants presumably accept. A marriage by a civil ceremony can be just as happy and long lasting as one celebrated by a priest in a two hour ceremony complete with consumption of the literal blood and body of Jesus.

robbcayman likes this.
  20. robbcayman

robbcayman

I experienced a Catholic funeral not that long ago and posted about it on here. It was a weird experience. All the smoke, chants, people repeating phrases back to the priest etc. I left there thinking that was really religion in a nutshell....just a lot of pageantry coupled with primitive teachings.