close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So far, bow season sucks.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rfb45colt, Nov 16, 2002.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

This is turning out to be the absolute worst bow hunting season I've ever had. I've spent about 50 hours in my treestands and have not seen a single deer. This is very, very unusual, as I'd normally see several deer every afternoon. I can't explain it... all my stand sights have been good to excellant for several years. This has been a weird season to begin with. CWD was discovered, but it's well downstate, about 300 miles away. But as a result, the DNR has banned baiting and feeding of deer, to hinder the spead of the disease. As a result of this move, there's hardly any hunters in the woods. I never figured this would have such an adverse affect, as I rarely used bait anyway. There were a few hunters in my general area who used bait in the past, but they're nowhere to be seen this year. It's like I have the whole national forest to myself. But there's no deer either. No scrapes, no rubs, not even any tracks. I knew that the deer would change their patterns somewhat, and browse all day long, or at least longer than the hour in the morning and afternoon that the feed and bait poiles allowed them to do. But there's enough snow to show any tracks, and regardless of when they're moving, I can't find any well tracked areas anywhere! I know they have to be somewhere, they didn't just disappear.

With rifle season just a week away, it looks grim. I found a new treestand stand sight this morning, one where I can see over 100 yards in all directions, and there's a few tracks left by some browsing deer. My previous sights had max visibility of 50 yards. Maybe by "covering" more ground, I'll get a shot. But that means I'll need a rifle, rather than the handguns I've hunted with the past 6 years. Bummer, but I'll get over it.

Is anybody else bow hunting in N. Wisconsin? Are you seeing any deer? The bow kill statewide is down something like 70-80% from last year at this time. This sucks big-time.

2. m65swede

m65swede

No success for me yet; though I've only been out a couple of times with the bow. My friend has built several tree stands on his property especially for me; built for easy climbing due to a knee surgery I had. On opening day I had a total of 4 deer pass under my tree, but got no shot opportunities. He has a great hunting property, but it is an hour from my house.

My friend is on vacation the entire month of November to enable him to bowhunt every day during the rut. He just got a real stud of a buck last Tuesday, another record book trophy for him. I believe this is Pope & Young buck number 12 for him! This buck is a massive basic 8 pointer with some stickers and a 7.5 inch drop tine. Gross score is about 199 inches! :) :)

Our split shotgun/slug season begins on Friday for 3 days, then another 4 days in 2 weeks.

I've attached a pic taken from my deer stand on opening day (Oct 1) shortly after first shooting light. The opposite side of the creek is a wildlife sanctuary. Ain't it purty? :)

Swede

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

You can not bait nor feed the deer. Nothing says you can't plant a few apple trees...

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Lots of deer, but no bucks when I want them. Not much sign of rubs or scraps. Lots of tracks and scat.