GlockTalk Forum banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
That's how to spend your money. Part of my tongue had to be cut out back in 2004. The first question the ENT surgeon asked me after looking at the sore on my tongue was, "Do you chew tobacco?" I hung my head and said "Yes". After the surgery, he came to check on me in the recovery room and said it wasn't cancer. He put his hand on my shoulder and spoke very slowly , "Don't chew any more tobacco, OK? ".
What I went through was absolutely terrifying, but the Lord had great mercy on me! Many times it doesn't work out that way. You're so much better off with a nice gun!
Dang that sucks man! Glad your ok. I believe I’d quit had that happened to me as well. Praise God I don’t have any oral issues from my tobacco use all the years I dipped. It’s a miracle honestly.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
So guys I’m still tobacco free. It’s been over a year since I had a dip of Copenhagen. So weird to think it’s been that long.

I feel normal and healthy. Its nice not having that nicotine crutch following me around. Even lost 15 pounds!

Also don’t know if this is from quitting, but I had a physical done 2 weeks ago. My blood levels are great and my cholesterol levels have almost returned to a healthy level. I have been eating better and exercising 3 times a week for almost a year!

My wife loves the new me. It was horrible for about a month when I quit and the withdrawals sucked. I was an ******* big time!

Just wanted to write a quick reply. Thanks again to all the good advice and posts!
Awesome job!!!

·
Registered
42,602 Posts
558 days Nicotine free. I don't miss it every day but there are moments.

·
Bliksem
4,191 Posts
I dipped and chewed for 10 years. It thinned my gums nearly to the bone and ate a lot of enamel from my teeth and made them thin. I didn't start losing my teeth until 20 or 25 years after I quit, but they were just too thin and weak to stand up to anything. I lost that piece of skin behind the center of the lower lip that extends to the bottom of the gums. I never did smoke.

·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I dipped and chewed for 10 years. It thinned my gums nearly to the bone and ate a lot of enamel from my teeth and made them thin. I didn't start losing my teeth until 20 or 25 years after I quit, but they were just too thin and weak to stand up to anything. I lost that piece of skin behind the center of the lower lip that extends to the bottom of the gums. I never did smoke.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Rereading this older thread made me want to go get a dip after 3 or 4 years quit.

I just read your post and remain cured.

·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Rereading this older thread made me want to go get a dip after 3 or 4 years quit.

I just read your post and remain cured.
Indeed! Thinking about putting in a fatty? Man reading these stories are real eye opening reasons to not dip, or quit while you can

·
The eBay Guy
20,637 Posts
So guys I’m still tobacco free. It’s been over a year since I had a dip of Copenhagen. So weird to think it’s been that long.

I feel normal and healthy. Its nice not having that nicotine crutch following me around. Even lost 15 pounds!

Also don’t know if this is from quitting, but I had a physical done 2 weeks ago. My blood levels are great and my cholesterol levels have almost returned to a healthy level. I have been eating better and exercising 3 times a week for almost a year!

My wife loves the new me. It was horrible for about a month when I quit and the withdrawals sucked. I was an ******* big time!

Just wanted to write a quick reply. Thanks again to all the good advice and posts!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Congrats to those who have quit! I have been clean of chew for about 5 years, and still miss it. I started on Grizzly Wintergreen when it was still $2.59 a can, then moved to Copenhagen long cut when Grizzly's prices became nearly the same. Almost everything I did was better with a dip in. Going shooting in the woods? Yep, better with a dip in. Going to the movies? Better with a dip in. Watching sports? Better with dip. Until a customer of ours came into the office with his bottom jaw removed which made his lips and skin flop around, and he had to write down everything he wanted to say to me. That was the day I decided enough was enough and I couldn't be gambling with my health like that anymore.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
im back on the train. i shake my head with every can I buy. got started on it again a few night shifts ago.

"first night back, its a monday, i'm going to be bored, it will help. just this first night transition." I say to myself. OK, fair enough.

tuesday: "not bad if I just stick to work days, I'll finish the can off, but wont have any this weekend." wed/thurs, days off... kept the promise. 3 day work weekend, kept dipping. by monday, my next day off... back to it. will be giving another crack at it again soon.

I hate that I can, and do quit, for month(s) at a time, but I always give in to that "long car ride" or "long night shift" temptation.

edited to add, **** aint cheap anymore. Grizzly used to be called the welfare bear. It was $2 a can here in SC back in '14 when I made my way down here. Now it's up to $4, depending on store... and hovering at $4.55 after tax.

·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
im back on the train. i shake my head with every can I buy. got started on it again a few night shifts ago.

"first night back, its a monday, i'm going to be bored, it will help. just this first night transition." I say to myself. OK, fair enough.

tuesday: "not bad if I just stick to work days, I'll finish the can off, but wont have any this weekend." wed/thurs, days off... kept the promise. 3 day work weekend, kept dipping. by monday, my next day off... back to it. will be giving another crack at it again soon.

I hate that I can, and do quit, for month(s) at a time, but I always give in to that "long car ride" or "long night shift" temptation.
Nicotine is a powerful *****. Took me many times to finally just quit. So far, so good. Still get the cravings every now and then as I really enjoyed a nice fresh can of cope. It’s been a struggle. Stick with it and you’ll finally succeed! Best of luck my friend.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Nicotine is a powerful *****. Took me many times to finally just quit. So far, so good. Still get the cravings every now and then as I really enjoyed a nice fresh can of cope. It’s been a struggle. Stick with it and you’ll finally succeed! Best of luck my friend.
without fail it is always the thought of a fresh can of cope long cut that gets me in the store. it's never grizz. that is just what I resort back to due to price. Been on and off between the two brands for as long as I can remember now, which is sad.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Good on ya man. I chewed Cope for about 12 years then switched to weaker leaf type. Then one day when I ran out I didn’t feel like driving to the store, the tax had gone way up, and I just said Screw it and quit. February 1996.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Praises to all who have quit. I lack the intestinal fortitude.

I haven't had a cigarette since 10-17-2014 but I'm still an addict. Lozenges and patches.

Tried vaping. That sh!t is the crack of nicotine. I abused the hell out of it till I got a nasty lung infection. Took months to get over.

I've gone clean several times. Longest was maybe a year. Something always brings me back.

In my 20's and 30's, I smoked 3 packs a day, so lozenges and patches it is till I get up the courage to kick it again.

Reactions: w30olds

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've gone clean several times. Longest was maybe a year. Something always brings me back.
In my 20's and 30's, I smoked 3 packs a day, so lozenges and patches it is till I get up the courage to kick it again.
Don't ever stop trying to quit Tuner! One of the efforts will eventually succeed!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Don't ever stop trying to quit Tuner! One of the efforts will eventually succeed!
It is nice having extra pocket money. Quitting is like giving yourself a raise.

Reactions: cyberghostx13

·
Bliksem
4,191 Posts
It wasn't until some years after I quit that I learned the young people that roll cigars without protective gloves, have to quit at a young age because the tobacco makes the skin on their hands thin and painful, permanently. I see they wear protective gloves now. Had I known that before, I would have never started.

141 - 160 of 170 Posts