GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,116 Posts
Well congrats to you, as for me, I'm over a month(Cold Turkey) without smoking cigarettes. I love all the money I have been saving and my heart and lungs like my brain again. Sayonara.

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Well congrats to you, as for me, I'm over a month(Cold Turkey) without smoking cigarettes. I love all the money I have been saving and my heart and lungs like my brain again. Sayonara.
Keep it up man! Doing good! Stay strong

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I've been quit for almost 2 years now. This thread makes me remember how much I loved it. Mouth is watering dammit.
I quit smoking a long time ago, once in awhile i thought i`d want a cigarette, then some smoker walks by me, and the awful smell... soooooo glad i quit. I cant even get in somebody`s car that smokes, just turns me right off.

One of the guys at the club opened up his gun case the other day, and it WREAKED so bad of cigarette smoke that i just had to walk away. I`ll never know how i ever put up with the stench for as long as i did when i use to smoke. I guess you dont realize it until your not around it.

Every time you think you want a cigarette, go put your face deep into an ashtray, and smell it.
That will stop you real quick from wanting a cigarette after that.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I gave up cigarettes 10yrs ago... does that account for anything?
I wont give up my COPE though. A man gotta have somethin in life.
At 70yrs old, who cares, i like my COPE dip. Especially during reloadin` ;)
I think one the most important things is deciding whether or not. When you come to terms with it, everything will be ok. Part of the struggle is being stuck halfway on the fence.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I quit smoking a long time ago, once in awhile i thought i`d want a cigarette, then some smoker walks by me, and the awful smell... soooooo glad i quit. I cant even get in somebody`s car that smokes, just turns me right off.

One of the guys at the club opened up his gun case the other day, and it WREAKED so bad of cigarette smoke that i just had to walk away. I`ll never know how i ever put up with the stench for as long as i did when i use to smoke. I guess you dont realize it until your not around it.

Every time you think you want a cigarette, go put your face deep into an ashtray, and smell it.
I dipped snuff. Every time I smell it, I want to eat the whole can.

·
" Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"
1,221 Posts
I quit using sunflower seeds. It took about two weeks to quit missing the chew but. The seeds really helped. I like the Bigs dill pickle the best. Oh wait then I had to ween myself of the seeds lol!! Remember you can do anything that YOU want to do. Good luck

·
Registered
14,521 Posts

Every time you want to dip, take a deep snort of a spit cup.

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
9,565 Posts
Hang in there. I haven't had a cigarette in over 40 years. I did chew alot of Juicy Fruit gum when I first quit.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Every time you want to dip, take a deep snort of a spit cup.
An ashtray is far worse. With dip you dont get any lingering odor in your house, your car, all over your clothes. Cigarettes turn the inside of your house and car yellow brown too. And there is nothing worse than somebody flicking a damn cigarette out the window of their car. I`ve been on my harley a few times where i`ve had to dodge a few lit cigarette butts flying up at me while riding down the highway. Not funny when a lit cigarette hits you on a bike. Not once have i ever seen dip flying out a car window. Both cig`s and dip are evil in their own ways, but dip is far less noticed.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
Hang in there. It took the better part of three years for me, but I didn't want to stop, I knew I needed to, and as things turned out it was a good thing, but it was quite the effort. Made it 9 months the first time, but it was a near constant struggle every day on that run. Second, third and so on got easier, but the first one was so bad I almost caved.
For nearly a year we could smell the slight hint of smoke in our closet. We never smoked in the house, and clothes were clean when they went in there, but with the amount of clothes in a confined space, the residual was still there.
Remember, if you fall off, dust off, take a bow to your adoring public, and climb right back on. Beating yourself up is counterproductive, and a waste of time and energy.
Best Wishes

Oh yea, Congrats to w30 for kicking the monkey out the door. It isn't easy and nicotine is a powerful drug.

·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
So guys I’m still tobacco free. It’s been over a year since I had a dip of Copenhagen. So weird to think it’s been that long.

I feel normal and healthy. Its nice not having that nicotine crutch following me around. Even lost 15 pounds!

Also don’t know if this is from quitting, but I had a physical done 2 weeks ago. My blood levels are great and my cholesterol levels have almost returned to a healthy level. I have been eating better and exercising 3 times a week for almost a year!

My wife loves the new me. It was horrible for about a month when I quit and the withdrawals sucked. I was an ******* big time!

Just wanted to write a quick reply. Thanks again to all the good advice and posts!

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,116 Posts
Oh behave! Or your wife might buy some you Copenhagen real quick. Seriously, very good to hear things are working out so well. I quit cigarettes last year, it was October 10th and it was "Cold Turkey". Two positive things for me, a lot less coughing and a lot of money saved. Oh I get temped sometimes, like watching some old Humphrey Bogart films, or other "Film Noir" films on TMC. 40s and 50s movies are a big reason why America got hooked. Well take it easy, bye.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,116 Posts
An ashtray is far worse. With dip you dont get any lingering odor in your house, your car, all over your clothes. Cigarettes turn the inside of your house and car yellow brown too. And there is nothing worse than somebody flicking a damn cigarette out the window of their car. I`ve been on my harley a few times where i`ve had to dodge a few lit cigarette butts flying up at me while riding down the highway. Not funny when a lit cigarette hits you on a bike. Not once have i ever seen dip flying out a car window. Both cig`s and dip are evil in their own ways, but dip is far less noticed.
Reminds me of Robert Mitchum in the 50s movie "Thunder Road". I seem to remember him flicking a cigarette out the passenger window of his car and into another car. Later.

Reactions: Intolerant

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Way to go w30olds! Buy yourself a well deserved treat! Best health move you'll ever make!

Reactions: w30olds

·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
Way to go w30olds! Buy yourself a well deserved treat! Best health move you'll ever make!
Thanks man. I saved some cash for a few months. Money I’d otherwise had bought lip turd with and bought myself a new FN 509 pistol.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Thanks man. I saved some cash for a few months. Money I’d otherwise had bought lip turd with and bought myself a new FN 509 pistol.
That's how to spend your money. Part of my tongue had to be cut out back in 2004. The first question the ENT surgeon asked me after looking at the sore on my tongue was, "Do you chew tobacco?" I hung my head and said "Yes". After the surgery, he came to check on me in the recovery room and said it wasn't cancer. He put his hand on my shoulder and spoke very slowly , "Don't chew any more tobacco, OK? ".
What I went through was absolutely terrifying, but the Lord had great mercy on me! Many times it doesn't work out that way. You're so much better off with a nice gun!

121 - 140 of 170 Posts