So Craftsman might be coming back to the US...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cgwahl, Jan 25, 2017.

1. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Looked and didn't see this posted.

Was looking at some videos of tool reviews and a comment mentioned this:

Apparently he might be right. Guessing it will probably just be their higher end line (Industrial/Professional), but cool.

Stanley Black & Decker to open U.S. plant after Trump's 'border tax' threat
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ars-holdings-craftsman-donald-trump/96192526/

Stanley Black & Decker Announce Opening of New U.S. Plant After Trump White House Win
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...-opening-new-u-s-plant-trump-white-house-win/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. elsolo

elsolo

I sincerely hope they can bring the quality back up to where it was a few decades ago.

3. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That would be cool. The tool section at Sears looks like Big Lots these days.

5. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

My hands rely on quality made in USA tools not crappy Chinese pot metal junk that will shred my hands!

RustyL likes this.
  6. norton

norton

Excellent.
    Its time for the pendulum to swing back. Wall Street has been the recipient of trade policy that has boosted 401K's but has left workers out in the cold.
    We need to make stuff here. No reason why we can't.

happie2shoot likes this.
  7. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Make their tools great again?

8. jmohme

jmohme

When I worked at my dads auto repair shop back in the 70's, we used nothing but Craftsman tools. They were well made and on the occasion that one would break we had a bin they got tossed in to be taken back to Sears for warranty.

I do hope they not only return to the US, but also reclaim their place in the market as a quality tool.

I have long retired from turning wrenches, but still of coarse work on my own vehicles and equipment. I have been buying most of the tools I need at Lowes.
    I believe that their Kobalt brand tools are made in this country, and have really proven themselves to be to be every bit as good as most tools off of the over priced tool trucks. I can't comment on their warranty because I have yet to break any of them.

9. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I've been hearing good things about Tekton. Think most of their stuff is US.

10. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

It pisses me off to see the US losing so much manufacturing capacity. If we have to replace ships, planes, tanks, weapons and trucks during a war, I don't think people will later say, "Thank God for China, the Arsenal of Democracy".

We need to maintain a bigger energy reserve and factories that can build everything we need to fight and win a war.

11. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I used to use craftsman a lot and many of my fathers tools were made by them. Most of my sockets are older craftsman stuff.

Since they became cheap chinese junk I started saving my money and buying some things straight from Harbor Freight. If you're gonna buy cheap junk might as well be honest about it and save some coin.

12. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

I remember looking at the Sears tool catalog with the huge Craftsman tool kits. You know the 1,000 item kits. When I got rich and famous I was going to buy the biggest one and a roll-around tool chest. Several years ago I had some extra cash and went in to buy the tools. I was glad I went in and did not just order it. What Sears did to the quality of those tools was a travesty. Now on the rare occasion that I need one, I just go to Lowes and get a Kobalt.

13. Cowpokey

Cowpokey

Negative. Tekton is just the name on them, they don't even mention where their tools are manufactured on their website; my guess would be China and Taiwan.

I look forward to Craftsman manufacturing coming back to the USA; I was hoping that was going to be true when they were bought by Stanley.

14. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

The utility I work for buys only top of the line tools; Snap-On, Vaughan, Purdy, Hilti, etc. There are other brands like Williams and Armstrong that may be just as good. Most everything else would probably be considered second tier, which would be adequate for 99% everyone, myself included.

Side note: I was at the NAMM show last weekend and saw some incredible hand made instruments and other electronic equipment that was from China. I'm no cheerleader for that communist country but I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" was a derogatory label for cheaply made products. China is moving in the same direction.

farnorthwintercamper likes this.
  15. Cowpokey

Cowpokey

It is not a matter of a "derogatory label". It is a matter buying "Made in the USA". Everything "made in the USA" must also be the best, at comparable prices.

We are Glock people, most are not made in the USA....but, I for one, want all of them manufactured here.

16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I'll prefer Made In USA but only if it's non-union.

happie2shoot likes this.
  17. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

There was a time in the late 1960's, 1970's, and early 1980's when things manufactured in the USA were starting to suffer in terms in quality, and things went offshore shortly thereafter.

It's also worth noting that Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea make darned fine optics, instruments, electronics, and even guns. China is gaining ground fast.

I'm all onboard with bringing jobs back, but the quality had better come with it, or this recent success will be short-lived. Let's not only do this, but lets do it right.

Cowpokey and Diesel_Bomber like this.
  18. seamaster

seamaster

It hasn't boosted my 401k thats for sure!

I've been tomsears a couple times recently looking for some and tools and disturbingly everything was marked CHINA.

I refuse to buy tools that are made in China. Underwear and socks ok but not my tools!

19. DAKA

DAKA

I'm willing to pay more...within reason...for MADE IN THE USA, but it better be really GOOD QUALITY.
    That said, there are times that cheap tools make sense, for the "average homeowner", a descent foreign made tool set is a great thing to have handy, probably never get used for more than tightening a loose screw.
    Oh and I just bought a really nice 16oz(?) hammer in Harbor Freight for $5...great tool, and if it get "lost", no big deal.

20. Rotn1

Rotn1

Look, let's call it what it is. Corporate greed. (And I am a corporate guy).

As an example the reason you don't see many American made products in a place like Home Depot is their leafing differentiator is price.
    Sure they will have American made products, but they expect to acquire them at the same levels as the Chinese. Most American companies just can't make any money at those levels.
    Stanley is another one. The prices that Stanley demands their parts / raw materials similarly is a death squeeze.

Even when the products are made in the USA there is always the threat of your contract being pulled and placed offshore.

These are no longer "good" American companies.