Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Way too busy
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so apparently it wasn't the dispatchers I was going to piss off.

I show up last night for trick or treat, and I am pulled aside by another part-time officer, one who's been there for a year and is also related to the chief somehow (marriage to someone). This guy pulls me aside and tells me;

1. How could I give a ticket for 34 in a school zone to such and such, don't I know who she is??
2. Everyone in this little village has a scanner that they listen to all day. They will start recognizing that I am running plates all the time (I ran 5 in an 8 hour period, followed by DS info) of local people, they would get pissed off and I would be gone.
3. My 2 tickets in my 1 week of employment were more than his year long career and I needed to slow it down.

This is obviously a small village department, and I am coming from a ghetto fire department. I thought I was being proactive and doing my job, but apparently I'm being a pain in the ass (perhaps I am over-exaggerating that last statement).

I was nearly done in the process at the city I already work for, but for an auxiliary position. This department is much busier, more urban, and likes proactive actions, but it's an auxiliary position. While I would have access to work special duty to make some cash, all patrol would be a) free and b) 2nd seat to a full-time officer. I had told the chief at this department earlier this week that I was going to give the village dept a go and not take the aux spot right now. He said he completely understood where I was coming from, but reminded me to call if I ever got bored or "into trouble" (didn't know what he meant at the time, I think I do now), and that we could pick up the process where we left off at any time.

I dunno, you guys have been doing this gig a whole lot longer than I. Politics in the PD is much different than the FD :)

· VIVA MEXICO !!!
3,299 Posts
pick up the other process or go find another agency

remember, you are doing this job not to get rich (you're not a mexican corrupt cop, LOL), but because you WANT to be a cop.

What good will it do to spend all your life doing a job you can't do to the best of your abilities, being pointed at for being good and getting bored more sooner than later

remember there is more time than life (mexican saying) so, spend it wisely looking for something you will love to do every day

a job you love is not a job, is a hobby

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I would have a sit-down with a supervisor. Explain that you've been "told" that you're doing too much, and you want to make sure you're not overstepping your bounds. Don't mention names, and don't mention any specifics, just get a general feel for what your supervisor thinks. Give him your unit history, and let him be the judge. If he tells you to back off, that people are going to have "issues" with being stopped for doing double the speed limit, bail on that department. You're going to have nothing but a headache.

On the other hand, this might be a guy who is a lazy POS. He might not want you burning up the streets because he'd look bad in comparison. Gauge your actions by the responses from your FTO and your supervisor. If any of what they tell you would suggest that there are all sorts of people that get preferential treatment, prepare to get out ASAP.

· Unfair Facist
28,872 Posts
I would get the hell out of there, if you ever find yourself having to use force and it turns out to be " someone" kid or relative, they will sell you down the river so fast you won't know what hit you.

· Registered
12,570 Posts
REPOSTED

You can, but it sounds like you won't be happy about it.

Any chief who grills you about a ticket for 34 in a 15 MPH school zone should be fired for incompetence. Two tickets in one week is too much? I don't think so and I didn't enjoy writing tickets.

Start preparing to get hired elsewhere.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Screw'em. The guy that pulled you aside is a lazy slug. You wont catch anything if you dont make traffic stops. We had a "new" guy start about three weeks ago. Two DWI arrests in the last week. More than the rest of the agency for the same period. He likes traffic and working DWI. More power to him. As long as the brass doesnt compare what I do to what he does then we are fine. I personally like dealing with the public and stopping burglaries. To each his own.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Oh yeah, If that is an indicator for the way the agency is going to be then BAIL!!

As was said by the wise, old wrinkely one. If they dont like what you are doing now, wait till you pop a city councilman or a relative.

· Registered
10,597 Posts
It does sound like you might be better off on a more proactive department. This department may be of the more "serve the community" mentality. Every department/agency has it's own personality. Some are aggressive and some are laid back. It's a matter of finding which one suits you.

That having been said, I know it's not easy jumping from department to department. The only other alternative you would have if you stay is to wait until you get some time on the job and start changing the department's mentality yourself. I mean being a leader and getting proactive on your own. Some of the other officers will pick up on this and follow suit, especially the younger ones who are trying to find themselves as you are now. There must be someone else in your department with some "cop" in his blood who wants to go out and do the job.

· Registered
671 Posts
Sounds like the tip of the iceberg.

Who know what other things are going on in the community with the Chief's "blessings (aka looking the other way)".

I'd recommend a Calvin analogy
"Use your shirt as a parachute and BAIL out!"

· Mr. Awesome
12,693 Posts
You're not going to make everyone happy. I have already started to piss off the "lesser motivated" individuals. I have only been on my own here for two months. The supervisor for my shift has mentioned giving me a promotion and the other guys refer to me as the "over-achiever".

Politics is going to be anywhere you have to work with other people.

From what I have seen, the lesser motivated individuals will try to slow you down.

Look for employment elsewhere.

If you can't be motivated now, you will be completely worthless down the road.

· Unfair Facist
28,872 Posts
The Dept. sounds tailor made for officers that are ROD.

And seriously, I would not trust the chief to have my back of you get into something serious.

· Mr. Awesome
12,693 Posts
ROD? I can't keep up with all of the acronyms.

· Way too busy
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I have about a year before I can start putting in for some fulltime positions. There's one in particular with a nearby Sheriff's Office that has Public Safety Officers (firefighter/emt/deputy) that I'm really after.

Do I

1. Stick it out for a year with this place, make the best of it, fly under the radar

2. Go aux with the busy department and ride 2nd seat

3. Start calling the other 2 places that I already have applications in with to see if/when they are going to call

I don't want it to come back next year "why did you only work there for 2 weeks?!" and have it be a ding..

· Registered
10,597 Posts
FiremanMike;11569049 said:
So I have about a year before I can start putting in for some fulltime positions. There's one in particular with a nearby Sheriff's Office that has Public Safety Officers (firefighter/emt/deputy) that I'm really after.

Do I

1. Stick it out for a year with this place, make the best of it, fly under the radar

2. Go aux with the busy department and ride 2nd seat

3. Start calling the other 2 places that I already have applications in with to see if/when they are going to call

I don't want it to come back next year "why did you only work there for 2 weeks?!" and have it be a ding..
That's a tough call. Going auxiliary seems like a step backwards to me. You, as a rookie, should be flying under the radar anyway. Fly low until what you are truly looking for comes along.

Again, when you get some time on the job, your attributes will be looked upon more highly by the other personnel on your department. You won't be able to change things overnight. Nor will you be able to buck the system (I mean go against laid back officers) until you have enough seniority. This is true whether you stay where you are or move on. You will need some time to find your own niche in law enforcement, and it will take time for others to accept you.

· Way too busy
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick update, I was really getting eaten alive inside by this issue. I went in to work last night, and drummed up enough courage to ask the Chief and my FTO if I was doing too much and how they felt about the school zone cite. They both said in unison "**** that guy, we're the ones you need to impress, and we think you're doing great"

I feel better :)

· Unfair Facist
28,872 Posts
I'm glad you feel better, but your still a ****ing rookie!

:tongueout::rofl::rofl:

· Registered
12,570 Posts
FiremanMike;11594882 said:
A quick update, I was really getting eaten alive inside by this issue. I went in to work last night, and drummed up enough courage to ask the Chief and my FTO if I was doing too much and how they felt about the school zone cite. They both said in unison "**** that guy, we're the ones you need to impress, and we think you're doing great"

I feel better :)

Then why did the other person [he/she/it] give you grief about it? I remain suspicious and you should too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts