snubby carriers: cant angle on holster (IWB)?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 2740dmx, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Hello All,
    to those that conceal a snubbie revolver, with an Inside the waistband holster: Does your holster have any cant angle to it?

I was looking at getting an AKJ Concealco IWB holster, but realized that it doesn't have any cant angle to it. I have always had better luck (more concealable) when my weapon was canted at an angle. it seems to hug the body better, and reduce printing.

How about it? any pics or experiences would be welcome. (not really interested in outside waistband experiences....)

Thanks!

2. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I used to carry my 60 in an Alessi IWB pull through. Carried it straight up and it was very concealable, comfortable, fast to get into action. I could wear it with a light tee shirt and never be made.

3. unit 900

unit 900

My IWB for j frames is zero cant angle, as are most. The 15 degree cant is seen on holsters for larger guns. The much more substantial grips are then angled so that they are not sticking straight back and so printing more visibly. The short j frame grips don't require that. I've found that a straight drop is faster for me.

4. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I prefer a zero cant myself.

5. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

My High Noon Holsters' Split Decision has a 15* cant to it.

I think that's just about perfect.

-J-

6. Dot_mdb

Dot_mdb

All of my IWB holsters have a substantial amount of forward cant. I find it allows a faster grip acquisition and also less printing. My 640 J frame is carried the same way.

Bill

7. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

That would depend where you want to carry it. I would say anywhere from 12:00 to 3:00 would be zero cant. 3:00 on to 5:00 could have 15 degree cant if desired, but I'm not sure how much that would matter on a gun as small as a j-frame.

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I generally carry IWB at about 4 o'clock, and prefer a 15 degree cant regardless of which handgun I'm carrying.

9. Dot_mdb

Dot_mdb

With the grip in a more vertical position the length of the grip does not matter. They all conceal the same. But another benefit of having the grip more vertical is that you don't have to squeeze your fingers between the waistband and the grip to get at the gun. The shape of the gun is also important. I find that Glocks print more than other guns because of the shape of the back of the slide. That is one of the reasons that I don't carry my G23. The more rounded the shape of the gun the less it is going to print and hammer fired guns seem to print less than striker fired ones especially when the hammer is at least partially bobbed.

All of my carry guns ride in Fist kydex holsters. Most of those are adjustable for cant and the ones that aren't you can specify the amount of cant. I basically carry with what they call extreme cant and now I order the holster that way and don't get the adjustment feature. I suggest you take a look at the Fist site. The holsters are relatively inexpensive and the are available in about two weeks. They aren't works of art but they just work properly and being so thin they conceal better.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  10. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I hear you on the Fist, Inc holsters. I carry my G27 in an ultra-thin kydex, and it totally disappears, even under a simple untucked (relatively tight) t-shirt. thanks for the reply.

11. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I agree that it depends on where you position the holster.

But I won't assign any numbers because at 2 to 2:30 I use a little cant.
    I think that depends on your belt, clothes, belly, barrel length, and body position.

I carry a BladeTech IWB with straps. It is adjustable from FBI cant to Straight Drop. The belt loops can also be adjusted from 1.25" to 1.75" belts.

I loosen the tension screws to where the straps will swivel. Put on the holster, add gun, then walk around, sit, stretch, take a short drive. All the time, sliding the holster front and back until I find "the" comfortable position. Tighten it down.

My J-frame and G33 settles over my appendix scar and a small amount of cant back keeps the barrel from poking my leg while the handle snuggles against my belly.

My Colt 45 and G22, however ride better over my kidney and the grip cants forward to keep the muzzle out of the car seat (and puts the grip a little closer to my hand).

After many holsters over the years this is my favorite holster.
    http://www.blade-tech.com/Inside-Waist-Band-c-260.html

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010