close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

snubbie reload and best 3 carry guns

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The best 3 carry guns I have, anyway :) Feel free to post some pics of your CCW guns here, too!

If you carry a snubbie, do you carry a reload?
    If so, how do you carry them, and how many?

In the attached pic, you can see a blue .38 ammo pouch my wife made for me. It is designed to be as slim and compact as possible, so as to be carried in a pocket and not be noticed. It folds neatly down tight and slim, with the velcro holding it closed. The speedloader is there for comparison, they are bulkier for concealed carry.

The 3 guns I have for carry are:
    -- Glock 26 9mm
    -- Walther PPK .380
    -- S&W 642 .38

I tried to line them up for size comparison in the pic. The length from muzzle to the top rear of the slide or hammer, is what I find to be the most important dimension. The shorter that is, especially above the grip, the less a gun prints. Think about it, you stuff the gun down in an inside the waistband holster (IWB) and only the grip and the top of the slide/hammer are above your belt line. With the snubbie, there's not much other than the grip above the belt line. With the G26 and most semi-autos, even though they are great carry guns, there is a lot of the slide that is above your belt line. I guess everyone's carry experiences will differ, but that's where I find it the hardest to conceal under a t-shirt without having the slide poke the shirt and make it known that "something" is there.

All 3 of these conceal well for me, but I usually have a cover shirt if I'm wearing the G26 around anti-gun people. The PPK and snubbie can go with just a t-shirt. The snubbie conceals the best for me, and is the lightest, at 15 oz unloaded. The G26 and PPK are about 20 oz unloaded.

Anyway, what do you think of that .38 ammo pouch? :wavey:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. fredj338

fredj338

When I pocket a snub, I also carry a speed strip or speedloader. Speedloader in a jacket pocket & speedstrip in a pants pocket.

3. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I like your ammo holder............

When I carrry a short nose revolver, I drop one speed strip into my jeans pocket.

4. Unistat

Unistat

+1 for the Speed Strip. I have the round Speed Loaders but they are too bulky for a pocket, so i gave them to my wife for her purse.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

When you guys pocket a speedstrip, do you have it in a pouch of some kind?

Will some of the rounds fall off the speedstrip? Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't know if I want uncovered primers around coins or keys. Then, there's the clinking of uncovered cartridges, too. After hours in your pocket, do the bullets get scuffed up?

I know Dillon makes a leather pouch designed to carry a speedstrip.

6. John Watson

John Watson

I keep two speed strips in the watch pocket of my jeans. If carrying a semi-auto, I carry a spare mag in the watch pocket. I feel funny not having spare ammo and seldom go out without some extras even if only to the local stopandrob.

7. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

My 38 spls. have never come out of their speedstrip. And the primers are covered by the strip.

Scuffing. Hmm. I haven't really noticed; there is probably a little......... No "clinking" sounds, however.

8. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

A few years ago a very experienced shooter showed me his reloading technique of using only 4 rounds in a Bianchi speed strip (2 then a space and the next 2). It is much easier to hold the speed strip and much faster to load two rounds and then another two rounds instead of loading five rounds.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Whenever I carry a J-frame (which is more often than not my retirement CCW weapon) I usually carry 1-3 speedstrips or 2-3 speedloaders. I carried both for many years when I carried an issued revolver, so I developed and retained my loading skills with both.

The choice of speedstrips or speedloaders depends on my clothing/pockets.

I don't carry anything else in the pocket which holds the spare ammunition, not only to prevent fumbling if reaching for the ammunition, but to protect it from contact with other objects.

10. ventura

ventura

Guess you could do the same thing with a 6 round Quickstrip and still have 5 rounds if you had time for loading a 5th round

11. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Nope...not the same thing. First of all, a speed strip loaded with 5 or 6 rounds is difficult to handle...especially under stress. However, a speed strip loaded with only 4 rounds (with a space between each pair), is much easier to handle.

The intention of the technnique I referenced is to achieve an acceptable compromise between ammo quantity and reduced reloading time. Inserting a pair of rounds followed by insertion of another pair of rounds is much faster than inserting 2 followed by 2 and then 1...and a hell of a lot faster than inserting 5 or 6 rounds one at a time. The 4 round reload is fast and only leaves one chamber empty in a J-frame or two chambers empty in a K/L/N S&W.

Give it a try.

12. BhamGlock

BhamGlock

Just picked up a 642 and am pocket carrying with a nemesis. I honestly hadn't given much thought to reloading but looked up the speed strips and they look like a pretty good solution.

13. katana8869

katana8869 NativeFloridian

My carry combos

Glock 26
    [​IMG]

SP101 .357
    [​IMG]

S&W 642 Powerport
    [​IMG]

The LCP is my always gun/BUG it is always in one of my pockets. If I am awake I have it on me.

The Glock and the revolvers are carried IWB in Bianchi Profesional 100 holsters and the LCP is carried in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster

14. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

When I carry my SW 442, I use a Mika's pocket holster. It goes in my right front pocket of cargo shorts/pants with nothing else in that pocket. I carry either a reload with Safariland speed loader in the left cargo pocket or a speed strip in a leather pouch (similar to Dillon one the OP mentioned) on my belt.

15. Landric

Landric Supervisor?

I also carry a pair of speed strips in my jeans watch pocket. When I am wearing a jacket, I also sometimes carry a speed loader in one of its pockets. Two of my three carry guns are 5-shot revolvers, one a .357 Magnum, the other a .38 Special. When I am carrying the .357 as primary and the .38 as a BUG I carry magnums in the magnum gun, but all my extra ammo is .38 Special so I could reload either revolver with it. When I carry the magnum as a BUG, I carry magnum ammunition in the strips/speedloader.

[​IMG]

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Some cool pics you guys posted. I don't have any speedstrips, but I'll have to get some to see how they work.

17. Captain38

Captain38

My ALWAYS firearm is a S&W Model 38 or 642 in a Kramer pocket holster along with two (2) HKS speedloaders full of +P hollow-points in the same right front pants pocket.

18. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Love the carry combos you have!

Could you respond and tell me how much easier it is to carry the sp101 IWB, compared to the G26?

I carry a G27, but have a chance to pick up a sp101, and am wondering if the SP carries much easier IWB, because as much as i love my subcompact... it is a bit thick!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I know you aren't asking me that question, but I'd think the weight would also be important:

SP101 = 25oz
    Glock26 = 20oz
    S&W airweight .38's (like my 642) = 15oz

When I switch from my G26 to my S&W 642, I notice a huge difference in weight. I don't normally think of my G26 as being heavy at all, but then when I put the snubbie on, it's like wow there's nothing on my belt now.

20. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

My J-frame is a 637. I like the airweight with an exposed hammer. I carry a speed-strip or two, and/or a speed-loader or two, depending on how I'm dressed. I'm still looking out for a good speed-loader pouch that holds two.

My P3AT spends its time in the safe since I got the J-frame.

I usually have my Springfield Loaded .45 on my belt these days, with the J-frame as backup. I'm not concerned with weight. I sometimes carry my 6" barreled nickel S&W 29, .44 Magnum in a shoulder holster, when it's cold enough for me to wear my overcoat.

But when I go absolute minimalist (concealment is the #2 priority, behind carrying something), the J-frame is my choice.

I should trade my P3AT toward something before it completely loses its market value.