Snubbie day at the range

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Out West, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

Drat! A power snubbies AND a power Emerson.
    And a mighty Pen and L Espada.
    Ready to do go to the grocery store or the ATM at midnight!

2. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

I onced talked to an older guy that said for civilian type situations, plugging someone beyond 15+ feet could lead to legal problems.
    But practice at range is fun, and it educates those guys that shoot patterns with their Glocks at 10 yds.

Out West and happyguy like this.

3. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Yeah, they are hefty guns.

With a good, stiff belt and a Kramer Leather scabbard, I get by ok.

Kramer isn’t cheap leather, and I had to swallow hard, but it was worth it.

glock1097 and fnfalman like this.
  4. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

watching a clip, you definitely got yourself a nice piece there; i.e., figure out a way to make it work. :cool:

Out West likes this.
  5. John_AZ

John_AZ

I’ve been eyeing a 642 pro series with moon clips to match my 442 and be there if it ever needs repair. Love mine, my BUG at work and often carried off duty. I practice often. Lot of dry fire, but just put 50 rounds through it this week at work and bring it out on instructor days to prove to some of the younger guys how capable they are

A424B431-43A1-426F-84F7-F19EF379950D.jpeg

Jisbell40, glock1097, agtman and 3 others like this.
  6. R9S19

R9S19

I also put Hogue monogrips on my 637 and it's made range days a pleasure. Sure, I sacrifice a little concealability when carrying it IWB but if it's going to make me want to shoot it more, then why not? I put 100 rounds through it a couple months ago and it was great. IMG_20190727_115522347.jpg

7. narkcop128

narkcop128

I got a few j frames including this one. 15642434083993546001509351036091.jpg

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You definitely should get the 640 Pro. Go out today and buy one :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for those who may wonder, the 640 Pro works with or without clips, here is a pic showing how the rim sits without a clip:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Budqweiser, TeaDub, Berto and 3 others like this.
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Until I decided to take a sabbatical from being a trainer & armorer a couple years ago, I was shooting my assorted snubs pretty frequently. At least a couple times a month when working our range.

I don't shoot much of my remaining 158gr LSWCHP +P loads, but I spent a lot of years doing that in both my steel J's and my original 642-1 marked as rated for a diet of +P.

I used to use standard pressure 158gr RNL or LSWC through my Airweight occasionally, as well as some 130gr ball, when those loads were available in the training inventory, but once I'd acclimated myself to shooting a +P rated Airweight I shifted over to doing the bulk of my training/practice drills and quals using +P carry loads. Over time that included 125gr +P, 130gr +P & 135gr +P.

Back when I was first acclimating myself to my first Airweight, that early 642-1, I was lucky enough to have access to an original 640 .38 (marked with the +P+ language in the frame window), and some cases of the Winchester 110gr +P+ Treasury Load. That +P+ load fired in the all stainless 640 made shooting 158gr +P out of the Airweight seem less abrupt. ;)

I also shot 2-3 hundred rounds of Magnum through my first M&P 340, but that quickly palled and I shifted over to using +P for the range, because that's what I typically carried in it off-duty.

My 37-2DAO has ONLY seen standard pressure loads because I don't want to stress that old-style "pre +P" short Airweight frame. It mostly sees 110gr JHP's made by 3 of the big name companies, but I also have some 125gr JHP's, all standard pressure.

During the last couple of years, as I was reducing my range time, I started trying the standard pressure Hornady FTX/CD 110gr load in my 37DA) and my M&P 340's. It shoots very nicely in all of my snubs. Accurate and mild. If the factory testing is accurate, it's probably not a bad compromise for penetration and expansion from a short barrel load. Certainly easier to shoot. As a matter of fact, in my guns and hands it seems to have a bit less recoil and muzzle blast than the standard pressure 110gr STHP and Hydra-Shok, but that may just be me.

I carry it often, although I still carry my 130gr +P RA38B and 135gr +P GDHP, since I still have a fair amount of both ... and what remains of my dwindling 125gr +P BJHP GS ... as I still like to use heavier bullet weights at times.

The care and feeding of J-frame (and similar) lightweight 5-shot snubs is a lot easier nowadays with some of the more modern ammo offerings.

However, using a 5-shot snub is still a matter of being able to put accurate hits where they need to go, and trying to substitute "power" for accuracy in a diminutive .38 snub might be chasing a rabbit down a fruitless hole.

If someone can rapidly and accurately put solid hits on-target with a traditional 148gr target WC out of their little snub, they could probably do much worse when it comes to small, lightweight, practical pocketable personal defensive handguns.

Just my thoughts.

10. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

I agree that a little more weight is better for me. Original Smith 36 and Ruger Speed Six are my “snubbies”. Carried SuperVels and CorBons in the 36 for a few years and Glaser “blues” when it became my wife’s gun. Recently switched to Honeybadger loads. The Ruger is a house gun. The Smith gets carried when small is desirable. Not too bad because of the weight. I avoid any lightweight snubbies!

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  11. TeaDub

TeaDub

Ugh. I'm really torn. The newer Magnum 640 calls to me from nostalgia, the Kimber K6S does so as well. The stats are amazingly close, except with that 6th shot.... ;)

I have to say that if I go the Smith route, I'd probably get the standard 640 vs the Pro. A little fluorescent paint on the front sight, a 10 min disable of the dreaded lock, and I'd be in business.

It also sounds fun getting the 2" DAO Kimber along with a 3" DA/SA in the near future. :whistling:

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  12. John_AZ

John_AZ

I’ve got the standard 640 (with a dab of orange paint). It doesn’t get carried often, but would easily trade it off for a 38 special no dash version. Just don’t do 357 out of it.

9CB3C357-02D9-488A-BC34-73DC4B5796B7.jpeg

TeaDub and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  13. glock1097

glock1097

I’m going to be getting a 642 PC in about a month. Reading your review just might hasten that timeline. Are you still able to use sped loaders instead of the moon clips?
    The moon clips are not only pricey but scarce.

Out West likes this.
  14. John_AZ

John_AZ

I rarely shoot my 442 that’s cut for moon clips with moon clips. I carry it loaded with a clip for positive extraction. Strips and loaders work just fine (depending on your grip choice).

ithaca_deerslayer and glock1097 like this.
  15. glock1097

glock1097

Thanks. I have quite a few speedloaders and didn’t want to lose ability to use them. Some of the new companies producing speed strips interest me.

16. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

I enjoy shooting my snubbies from time to time. I like shooting some of my 125 grain handloads out of nine with a light charge of bullseye. My 442 has hands down the best action out of any of my snubbies, but I enjoy my 640 with .38s the most. I have a Ruger Sp101 snubbie that I could take it or leave it. It’s not the most accurate but is the beefiest of any of my small revolvers.

Out West and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  17. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I have the same 642 pc. I carry it in an aholster backbone pocket holster. I have changed the grips to old uncle mikes boot grips. I shoot it every trip to the range. I normally limit myself to 50 rounds. I shoot precision delta wadcutters.

ithaca_deerslayer and Out West like this.
  18. Berto

Berto woo woo

19. Berto

Berto woo woo

442-2 (and 1907 Colt PP .32)

20181231_153523.jpg