GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
No. Try four snow tires, unstudied first.
Studs reduce grip even further than a winter tire, in slush and rain.
That's why I was saying that I was only planning to mount the studded ones only when we have real snow.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
OP, thanks for bringing this up. I'm getting ready to move into a hilly area that does get snow and my new driveway is steep. My daughter drives an 07 Corolla, and I was planning to put two winter tires on the front of it, then buy two more (on new wheels) and have them studded. The idea was that if we get more than a dusting of snow, I would move the snow tires to the rear and mount the studs on the front. Does that seem like a good idea?
No, you'll have a lot more stability with 4 like tires. I'd probably buy some 15" steel tires and throw on taller snow tires. Better traction in winter, and you can swap them out easier in fall and spring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
After I bought my car, I purchased a used set of aluminum wheels with Blizzaks already mounted.

My truck has Toyo M-55s on it year round.

59E4D001-6E54-41B6-9EE7-59310FF7EE6D.jpeg

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Based on the various suggestions made here, it seems that there are different suggestions for trucks vs 4wd SUVs vs cars (front/rear wheel drive).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hakkapeliitta, Hakkapeliitta,Hakkapeliitta ...with studs are a game changer if you're driving a car on ice and snow.

Had a Volkswagen Passat in Latvia with these on them. It was a tank, could go anywhere, and more importantly, it could stop when you needed to brake. The snow removal on the roads there wasn't great to say the least. Mostly a "let traffic pack it down" approach.

Free bonus is that it's fun to say 3 times fast...

edit to add, I run Goodyear Wranglers on the truck here. Put the chains on the back when pushing the plow. I stay home when the idjits are driving in the fresh snow or ice.

Also popular in the dakotas. Non studded is recommended due to the variance in conditions.

No studs in IL.

·
It ain't over
7,986 Posts
I don't remember what brand of snow tires I have on my Corolla. I should have put them on already - there's about 5-6 inches of snow on my car with 4-8 more coming tomorrow. And I have a Dr. appointment on Friday - 50 miles away. The roads will be good. But the county may plow me in before I want to leave for the appointment.

I had hernia surgery last week and don't want to lift the tires to do the dismount/mount necessary for winter. I use a short 2x4 and a 1x4 as a fulcrum and lever to lift the tire/wheel to mount them - no lifting. But I have to lift the spare in/out of the truck, I'm not quite ready for that.

I have to switch from snow tires to A/S tires twice each year. Since I only bought two snow tires Walmart won't switch them for me. I think it's now against the law to have only two snow tires on a vehicle.

When did we become such wusses? Hell, years ago we drove rear wheel drive vehicles with only snow tires in winter. There were no SUVs - even up here in snow country very, very, few had 4x4 trucks. We used to drive our 2wd trucks out on the the lakes, in winter, to ice fish. I realize that things are much better now. But we weren't suffering back then.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Native Mainiac
18,711 Posts
For those of you who have vehicles with Direct TPMS and buy an extra set of wheels for winter tires- do you have to buy 4 extra sensors or just do without?
Good question. Not sure if I'd have to deal with some alarm on my dashboard, or if there were no sensors, there would be no warning lamp.

·
I feel pretty.
3,050 Posts
You'll get a warning lamp and chime every time. The Obama sensors are the stupidest idea of all time, and should have come with a wire to cut, or fuse to pull to disable.

With Fords, you can turn off the TPMS with Forescan. But Forescan is as likely to disable your entire truck, as it is to turn off what it's supposed to.

So far, I know of no tuners that effectively defeat the TPMS. Buying extra sensors and getting the truck to relearn them twice a year, isn't worth it. A major pita.

·
Native Mainiac
18,711 Posts
You'll get a warning lamp and chime every time. The Obama sensors are the stupidest idea of all time, and should have come with a wire to cut, or fuse to pull to disable.

With Fords, you can turn off the TPMS with Forescan. But Forescan is as likely to disable your entire truck, as it is to turn off what it's supposed to.

So far, I know of no tuners that effectively defeat the TPMS. Buying extra sensors and getting the truck to relearn them twice a year, isn't worth it. A major pita.
Thanks...never thought about it before. It would also make you car or truck fail the annual inspection here in Maine I think....any "safety" warning issues need to be fixed before you get your sticker.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
When I lived in Snow Country-Sierras I had a 4 wheel drive, it was a false sense of security. My car had a tires on it with a M & S rating it work ok.

Then I spent two winters driving over the road, I hated putting CHAINS on. Two reason was each set was 125#'s, no fun chaining up an 18 wheeler. Nuckleheads did it, I most of the time got off the road, into safe truck stop. Let the snow pass, my dispatcher hate me.

Normally when the Snow danger was over, back on the road I went. Say lots of super truck that had crashed, rolled over, or were in some ditch. There is a saying, Many Bold Truckers, Few Old Bold Truckers.

Remember a TV Series called Highway from Hell, it was about the Tow Truck Drivers who work out of Truckee CA. They get terrible Snow.

Driving in Snow is no fun, so I retired to Desert, and NO SNOW.

·
It ain't over
7,986 Posts
For those of you who have vehicles with Direct TPMS and buy an extra set of wheels for winter tires- do you have to buy 4 extra sensors or just do without?
I have two snow tires that I put on the front on my Corolla. I just bought new rims someplace - don't remember. I didn't get the TPMS in the new wheels. A light comes on in my dash as soon as the on-board computer realizes it isn't getting a signal. I just put a piece of tape over that light. I'm good about checking tire pressure - especially in the winter. We can get extreme cold up here and it will affect tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
24,812 Posts
I used to have 2 spare rims with snow tires. Quit in 95. All seasons yr round. I’m considering chains for one pickup.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts