GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
It doesn’t snow often enough here for me to buy snow tires. I do have Goodyear Duratracs on my Taco. They have a reputation for being real good in snow for an AT tire. We got about 24” a couple years ago and I was the only one who showed up at work. I saw several domestic 4x4 pickups on the side of the road stuck, probably with worn factory tires

·
15,495 Posts
I run a second set of wheels with winter tires. I just got some Blizzak DM-V2s installed. No snow yet so I can't report on the tires but what do you guys run if you live in the snow belt?
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec on the Porsche 911, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's on the BMW and the Mini Paceman Cooper S All4.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The dm v2 only has 2 circumferential grooves. The Haka's have two zig zags on no straight circumferential grooves. That would suck in Ohio snow. Too wet and slushy.

This is what you want on cars in Ohio, Firestone example:

But those are useless in mud, so for trucks, try these Cooper St Maxx:

My f250 was unstoppable in the winter, on or off road, with the STT's:

Things might be different in Canastan.
Interesting, because in Minnesota snow and ice, AT's and MT's underperform to an embarrassing degree. Maybe because of sub zero temperatures.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,751 Posts
For my 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer (4WD) - I put these on, all around.......

Sumitomo Ice Edge Studable-Winter Radial Tire - 235/70R16 106T
SUMITOMO ICE EDGE.jpg

$81.44 on Amazon Smile.

............... and frankly, I don't like studs. They tear up the roads here and they are constantly resurfacing them - the roads.

·
Heart of the Rockies
2,489 Posts
Michelin Xi3.

Really good tires. I had a set of WS80s before the Xi3s. The blizzaks were slightly better on ice, but didn’t last very long, got worse as the aged, and felt like a winter tire on dry roads. The xi3’s traction have stayed constant, and feel like an all season on dry roads and on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
And I also have Pirelli Ice Zero on my Honda Accord and these have super good traction on snow and ice but still have sporty handling on dry days.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Hakkapeliitta, Hakkapeliitta,Hakkapeliitta ...with studs are a game changer if you're driving a car on ice and snow.

Had a Volkswagen Passat in Latvia with these on them. It was a tank, could go anywhere, and more importantly, it could stop when you needed to brake. The snow removal on the roads there wasn't great to say the least. Mostly a "let traffic pack it down" approach.

Free bonus is that it's fun to say 3 times fast...

edit to add, I run Goodyear Wranglers on the truck here. Put the chains on the back when pushing the plow. I stay home when the idjits are driving in the fresh snow or ice.
I just got my first set of these (without studs) last month for my Outback. I'm excited to see how they do in the snow. They replaced the OEM tires which left a lot to be desired.

·
I feel pretty.
3,046 Posts
Interesting, because in Minnesota snow and ice, AT's and MT's underperform to an embarrassing degree. Maybe because of sub zero temperatures.
Those were likely low quality, or designed for summer mud only. Or oversized, and over inflated on little Jeeps and such. Fullsize's lack that issue.

Cooper STT's won't out perform good winter tires on ice, but they were rock steady at any reasonable speed on my empty F250. They are winter rated. They felt a little sketchy in light rain sometimes, but only when I was pushing way too hard.

Winter tires suck at slush and rain, and are completely useless off road. They just aren't an option around here for trucks. Maybe a city boy Chevy or Honda.

·
I feel pretty.
3,046 Posts
Be careful, some of those tires without any circumferential grooves are going to be interesting in mixed conditions.

These have two straight grooves, two zig zags.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
B02B30EB-D6E5-494A-AAF7-368EABBBA927.jpeg
Yeah it’s 70 degrees here lol if it snows we would all die

·
Pharaoh
34,501 Posts
My favorite have been Bkizzaks.

I had a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow. They were OK but the only snow and ice tire rated above 150. I have since moved down in speed rating.

Surprisingly the next best ice snow tires I have had were cheap coopers. Right there with blizzaks for ice snow traction.

I am currently running generals as they were a available. They are not bad, but not blizzaks.

just put continental Vikings on my kids car. I won’t be able to really review those as I don’t drive it.

Reactions: BL33D 4 M3

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
3,538 Posts
Hakkapeliitta, Hakkapeliitta,Hakkapeliitta ...with studs are a game changer if you're driving a car on ice and snow.

Had a Volkswagen Passat in Latvia with these on them. It was a tank, could go anywhere, and more importantly, it could stop when you needed to brake. The snow removal on the roads there wasn't great to say the least. Mostly a "let traffic pack it down" approach.

Free bonus is that it's fun to say 3 times fast...

edit to add, I run Goodyear Wranglers on the truck here. Put the chains on the back when pushing the plow. I stay home when the idjits are driving in the fresh snow or ice.
I had, actually still have, an '86 VW Golf Diesel that I put these tires on. I swear to God, I couldn't get them to spin in deeper snow. The engine would stall out first.
Wintermaster
wintermaster.jpg

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,474 Posts
I run a second set of wheels with winter tires. I just got some Blizzak DM-V2s installed. No snow yet so I can't report on the tires but what do you guys run if you live in the snow belt?
I ran Mud & Snow tires. In deep snow and packed ice, they work better than Snow tires.

That was on a 2005 Mustang GT, and those tires made the car unstoppable.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Nope never but then again I know how to drive unlike the vast majority of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
OP, thanks for bringing this up. I'm getting ready to move into a hilly area that does get snow and my new driveway is steep. My daughter drives an 07 Corolla, and I was planning to put two winter tires on the front of it, then buy two more (on new wheels) and have them studded. The idea was that if we get more than a dusting of snow, I would move the snow tires to the rear and mount the studs on the front. Does that seem like a good idea?

·
I feel pretty.
3,046 Posts
No. Try four snow tires, unstudied first.

Studs reduce grip even further than a winter tire, in slush and rain.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
OP, thanks for bringing this up. I'm getting ready to move into a hilly area that does get snow and my new driveway is steep. My daughter drives an 07 Corolla, and I was planning to put two winter tires on the front of it, then buy two more (on new wheels) and have them studded. The idea was that if we get more than a dusting of snow, I would move the snow tires to the rear and mount the studs on the front. Does that seem like a good idea?
Everything I've ever been told is that its best practice to do new tires in 4s. I have an inclined driveway and a rear wheel drive sedan. I have been unable to get to the garage with all seasons. I have never slipped an inch with snow tires. The difference is orders of magnitude better.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Everything I've ever been told is that its best practice to do new tires in 4s. I have an inclined driveway and a rear wheel drive sedan. I have been unable to get to the garage with all seasons. I have never slipped an inch with snow tires. The difference is orders of magnitude better.
With a rear wheel drive that seems obvious, but not so much (to me) with front wheel drive.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts