Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The snow was fluffy and filled the sky at the gun range this a.m. Shot .223 for about 2 hours, watched a couple of young guys get their pickup stuck and then get towed out and up the hill from the range. My trusty TJ laughed at the white stuff.
I love winter. When I don't have to work.

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And my load
.223-
25.0 grains BLC-2
55 gr. jacketed bullet.

This target was shot at 100 yards. Started out at 200, but the snow was so heavy, eventually I couldn't see the targets.

What does Colorado have that Indiana doesn't have?
Mountains, thin air, and that dude that's always buying new stuff and posting about it on GTR. :supergrin:

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
And my load
.223-
25.0 grains BLC-2
55 gr. jacketed bullet.

This target was shot at 100 yards. Started out at 200, but the snow was so heavy, eventually I couldn't see the targets.

What does Colorado have that Indiana doesn't have?
Mountains, thin air, and that dude that's always buying new stuff and posting about it on GTR. :supergrin:

You been drinkin'? That ain't heavy snow, I've got more frost than that in my freezer. And if your truck started and got you to the range it tweren't cold neither.

Wussie flatlanders. :whistling:

BTW... Mountains in Indiana? BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA! :couch:

Jack

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack, there are mountains in Indiana.
Ok, no, but we have hills.

Off topic.
Lots of posters don't like reloading for the .223. What specifically don't you guys like about it? I don't have much experience in loading other rifle rounds-the only other one I load is .17 Remington. I find the cases on the .17 split at the neck within 2 or 3 loadings.
I load lots of pistol rounds.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Jack, there are mountains in Indiana.
Ok, no, but we have hills.

Off topic.
Lots of posters don't like reloading for the .223. What specifically don't you guys like about it? I don't have much experience in loading other rifle rounds-the only other one I load is .17 Remington. I find the cases on the .17 split at the neck within 2 or 3 loadings.
I load lots of pistol rounds.
I think ( at least for me) the issue is with the volume for ARs rather then the round. I load rifle a lot. .308, 6mmbr, .22-250 and 223. I never minded the extra step of the swaging the primer pockets when I was doing 100-200 for a few trips with the bolt gun. When you load for the AR 100-200 isn't going to last long, so now you are doing 500-1000 at a time. That gets old fast. I also get tired of the tiny bullets. Again 100 .22s for the .22-250 isn't bad but 500 for the AR and my fingers are cramping!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I load lots of pistol rounds.[/QUOTE]

I like to load for my Rem VSSF in 223 Use a lee collect die and BIB bullets
and might shoot 50 to 100 rounds thru it. The AR will go thru that before the barrel gets warm and those BIBs are far to pricey to waste putting holes in plastic jugs.

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So its volume, not the round itself.
I try to pace myself when I rifle fire. I will shoot 5 rounds, then walk the range to check my targets. I can generally do this in the winter, because the range gets very little use when its cold out.
I keep track of how many yards I walk, and try to get in at least a mile.
It also helps if I'm shooting my Howa 1500 bolt action .223 rather then my Ar.
And the tiny bullets of the .223 are huge compared to the little pills the .17 uses.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
Most people who complain about loading the 223 (me included) only load 1 rifle round. It takes a lot more time and effort to load a rifle round than a pistol round. Hence the complaints.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Gotta agree with Red... most of the guys that complain about it load mostly pistol. The extra prep involved in rifle can be tedious if you aren't used to it.

·
EX-Swage Monkey
1,615 Posts
You guys probaly hate snow, but that looks fun to me. I'm tired of never having any weather. Our weather guys must be union because they got a cake job. 70 degrees and scatterd clouds.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
We have alredy had our one week of snow this year.
Our weather men just say forties and rain. They are right 80% of the time.

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many of you reload .223 on a progressive? I load mine on a rock chucker, but could load on my Dillon 550. I have not used my progressive for rifle rounds.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
How many of you reload .223 on a progressive? I load mine on a rock chucker, but could load on my Dillon 550. I have not used my progressive for rifle rounds.
I have loaded it on my RC and my 550. I get charge variances of =/- .1 grains with Varget on the 550. I trim them and swage the first run out, then treat them like pistol for the next few runs till they grow again. I do that for the AR and so far see no difference in it for that purpose.

My Friend loads all his .308 on the 550 and treats the press like a single stage. Shoot under 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day.

·
2,950 Posts
I use both a RCBS SS and the 550b: tumble, lube, deprime/resize on the SS, tumble to remove lube, swage, trim, chamfer, debur. Then to the 550b to complete the reloading process, with a universal die in station one to insure a clear flash hole. I currently use BL-C2 or AA2230 powder; both meter very well thru the Dillon powder throw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts