close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snow in Texas?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by farley45, Feb 12, 2010.

1. farley45

farley45

What is the big deal, and why is everything shutting down? Fox said they got a foot of snow, and many flights are cancelled, tons of accidents, roofs of buildings are collapsing, power outages, etc...

It is only a foot of snow...In NE that isn't even something to really mention and life gets on just fine, even with the very harsh temperatures we get (which is much worse than snow IMO).

Not bashing on TX or anything, just really curious because I can't accept that just because they "usually" don't have this problem could be the reason why so many issues. We were stationed at Dyess AFB when I was a kid and I remember stuff shutting down for inches of snow on the ground, and wondered what the big deal was because I we came from NE.

Or is it because they don't have the equipment to adequately deal with it? Less people with 4x4 or all wheel drive vehicles, snow removal, etc.

Or is it just a mentality thing where people just don't know how to deal with it?

Anyone from TX care to comment?:wavey:

2. legends13

legends13

It is a lot of things...

yes, they do not have the equipment to remove the snow. That is a big part. Also, as for roofs collapsing, the houses in Texas, likely don't use reinforced trusses, but many only use rafters. Rafters are no where near as strong. Up hear in NY, you can't even build a house these days with rafters. they won't meet code.

You have to think, what if north dakota all of a sudden had 100* temps for weeks on end? It would be difficult, as many people don't have AC systems that could handle this. Same type of thing. it is out of the normal, so it is not easy to deal with. When I was in NC, and we would get 2 inches of snow, the stores would be out of milk/bread etc... as people would panic. I laughed, because I was used to 2 feet of snow.

It is all perspective.

3. Paul_J

Paul_J

We just aren't prepared for snow. We don't have the equipment to handle something we only get every 20 years or so. As far as buildings go, we don't design for snow loads either. But the way this 'Global Warming' is going I guess we should spend our money for cold weather equipment!

4. TxDeputy

TxDeputy

In many parts of Texas it snows so rarely that there is no plan in place for snow removal. Also many of the citizens have no clue on how to drive in that type of condition.
    I know what you mean though....I'm originally from New Jersey. This piddly amount of snow makes me laugh.

5. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

6. goatranch

goatranch

They may have equipment but hardly the budget for extra fuel, OT labor.

7. farley45

farley45

Yeah I was wondering why roofs were collapsing, I don't know why I didn't think of differences in code. Same reason why people put high dollar shingles on in windy areas.

8. farley45

farley45

9. farley45

farley45

Yeah I even get irritated with some people around here who seem to forget how to drive in the snow when the first one comes. But, most of the time the snow isn't the issue when driving, it is the ice that may or may not be underneath the snow.

With 4x4 you can generally go like hell, but that doesn't mean you will be able to stop or turn so easily.

But, even with just a front whell drive passenger car you should be able to get around very well in the light stuff.

I guess I thought it was weird because the guy on fox was making such a big deal about the snow being part way up his shins.