Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided it might be good to have some snap caps for home dry fire practice, so ordered a couple of packages of the A-Zoom 9mm caps since I've heard they where popular. They wouldn't work in my G43, the slide wouldn't close properly and I wasn't about to force it. I ended up sending them back. Anyone had this issue that's tried these?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Afternoon stevedal12,

I haven't ever been happy using any commercial snap caps in a Glock.

I get much better results by making my own using a re-sized case with a wood dowel in it to prevent bullet setback, then crimping in a real bullet.

I glue in a little cut piece of rubber "O" ring into the primer pocket for the firing pin to hit then stick the entire round in my drill press & use a file to chamfer the rear lip off of the case so the extractor will slide along the rear of case without extracting the round from the chamber.

It works a treat & the round never comes out with slide operation so re-setting the striker is very easy & quick as slide position isn't critical.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have some and are not happy with them. The primer is already dented to where they are probably useless now. I would pay to have someone like, oh I don't know, tager to make a half dozen. It seems that replacing the primer part would be easy enough to justify paying a little more than what snaps cost.

Of course if I had a press I would be making some right now instead of hoping tager bites

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have some and are not happy with them. The primer is already dented to where they are probably useless now. I would pay to have someone like, oh I don't know, tager to make a half dozen. It seems that replacing the primer part would be easy enough to justify paying a little more than what snaps cost.

Of course if I had a press I would be making some right now instead of hoping tager bites
Afternoon Anomander

Those brass & even solid brass snap caps with urethane primers are all over on E-Bay. I couldn't make them as cheap as the E-Bay sellers are selling them for.

Only difference is mine have the rear case lip trimmed off to allow the extractor to not pull the round out as the slide is cycled back.

A person needs both types as the full lip snap caps are good to (safely) check feeding & magazine insertion but the trimmed lip ones are better for dry firing.

·
In the STL
3,766 Posts
With a glock you only have to pull the slide back about 1/4" to get the trigger to reset.

A snap cap with the extractor groove will still work fine this way. No need to fully rack the slide causing the snap cap to be fully extracted

Sent from my stupid smartphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Afternoon Anomander

Those brass & even solid brass snap caps with urethane primers are all over on E-Bay. I couldn't make them as cheap as the E-Bay sellers are selling them for.

Only difference is mine have the rear case lip trimmed off to allow the extractor to not pull the round out as the slide is cycled back.

A person needs both types as the full lip snap caps are good to (safely) check feeding & magazine insertion but the trimmed lip ones are better for dry firing.
I will look into that, thank you.

Edit: just placed an order.

·
Registered
847 Posts
With a glock you only have to pull the slide back about 1/4" to get the trigger to reset.

A snap cap with the extractor groove will still work fine this way. No need to fully rack the slide causing the snap cap to be fully extracted
Afternoon gooffeyguy

True, (IF) you cycle the slide slow & deliberate-- not so true when you cycle the slide in a hurry & run it back just a little too far (snap cap falls out).

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ive used AZoom's for years, in all my guns, including all my Glocks, and never had any issues. I prefer them over any of the others currently available. I dry fire constantly using the, and they hold up a lot better than the Tiptons, which usually have an inoperable "primer", in short order. Ive also had the Tiptons get stuck in a couple of rifle chambers.

The AZooms take a real beating, and last a good long time. Usually the case rims start to go before anything else, and even then, they still work.

I dislike the homemade type using old brass, as they are identical looking in the chamber, as a live round, and its to easy to mess up. Part of the snap caps function, is an additional safety step, which helps limit accidents. They need to look like a snap cap, not live ammo.

Reactions: Tuscany

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can, but it doesnt hold up very well. I used to make my own, until AZoom came along. Made a lot of dummies for stripper practice as well. Nothing you mark them with, will hold up to even light use. It has to be constantly reapplied.

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
I've been using Tipton branded snap caps over the years. Good stuff. Works well in all my 9mm pistols with no issues.

Reactions: S.P.F.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been using Tipton branded snap caps over the years. Good stuff. Works well in all my 9mm pistols with no issues.
Same here. Used them for as long as I can remember. I like the spring action and they've proven reliable in a number of forearms. I've used A-Zoom, too, and still have some for revolvers but I don't use them in autoloaders anymore.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
0 issues with azooms in many calibers. Cheap insurance for excessive dry fire.

*They will wear out fast if you eject them after each trigger pull. They will last a lifetime if you pull the slide just far enough back to reset the trigger*

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'll give the Tiptons a try.
You're telling me that no azoom that came in your pack would chamber? Highly unlikely that a round would be out of spec as they are CNC machined. Even more likely that a whole pack would be out of spec.

Tipton is not all people make them out to be. I read some reviews years ago singing tiptons praises...they are worse than azooms imo.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what the issue with the Azooms was, they would chamber (I could manually put one in the chamber), but the slide didn't want to seat all the way forward, and I didn't force it, I didn't want to damage the ejector.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm not sure what the issue with the Azooms was, they would chamber (I could manually put one in the chamber), but the slide didn't want to seat all the way forward, and I didn't force it, I didn't want to damage the ejector.
It's not a great idea to place one in the chamber. Put it in the mag and allow it to go in the chamber the way a round should. When you rack the slide you will get zero problems but if you baby it in the slide will slow down when it cams the barrel into place. This will happen a lot while 1/4" racking but it is unavoidable, at least i suppose until the gun loosens up.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I agree with Steve, you should be putting them in the mag, and loading as the gun was meant to be. If you do that, I think youll find they load right up (assuming you have the correct caliber).

Loading as you were, and easing the side down, it sounds like the slide was stopping when the rim engaged the extractor.

As far as those who use the Tiptons and havent had the "primer" issue, I have to assume they dont use them much. With every one of those type snap caps Ive used, in short order, the primer portion was driven into the body of the cap, and then got stuck/jammed, rendering it useless. Every one.

AZooms dont have that issue. As was also mentioned, the AZooms are CNC machined, and "normally" correct (not saying there isnt the possibility of a bad run, but I dont think thats the case here) as far as case headspace. Some of the plastic Tiptons Ive used, have become stuck in the chambers of a couple of rifles I was using them in. That, and the primer issue, is why I wont use them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.