Snakes&Fishing [Long]

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rp, Oct 14, 2005.

1. rp

rp Millennium Member

:( Tell me your story about fishing and fighting snakes:!About 20 years ago my brotherinlaw and i were fishing in a small lake in a 10 foot jon boat and had 5 water moccasins come out of a grass stand in the lake and just got all pissy about us being there they were very aggressive with getting into the boat with us both of us were fighting them off with fishing polls and a paddle all the while they were raising up out of the water and coming over the side of the boat
    this has got to be the most adrenalin pump ive ever had we had no motor and couldnt use the paddle to try to get away because of fighting the snakes they would not take no for an answer guess they finally got tired and quit after about 10-15 mins but wow talk about scary....Now about 3 weeks ago my son and i went fishing for the first time since he was a small fellow.Hes 30 years old now and we had planned this trip for awhile we went to Jackson lake in Jackson ga.had been there about 2 hours and we found a nice cove for fishing been in the cove about 45mins fishing when out of nowhere comes about a 5 foot moccassin really aggitaded with us and proceeds to the back of the boat trying to come over the transom just like he knew exactly the lowest part of the boat well this is a 15 foot bass boat so it very low to begin with well dang dejavue all over again from 20yrs ago with brother inlaw snake want take no for answer for coming aboard
    had trusty paddle locked in rod locker so no paddle or time to get it
    out comes trusy rod and reel for flogging snake this must of been quite a site for anyone to happen to see 2 grown men flogging the water with their poles bet they thought we needed a fishing class huh?
    im fighting snakes son is trying to start boat motor keeps dying cold engine you know!!So much excitement and no one to share it with ive had enough snake excitement sent the dnr an email to see if legal to shoot snakes of venomus kind said yes have at if if poisonus so i want go back without a 12 gauge anymore how about you guys i know im not the only one with stories like this I hope???? Or im just snake bit for fishing luck

2. noway

noway

I never had to fight a snake off in my life. But once fishing the Fish Eatingcreek in South florida, I had a brown water snake that fell from a tree limb that I was crossing under. When I seen him dropping I just raised my paddle up and caught the tree branch and stop the layout boat. The snake hit the very end of the boat and half landed in the section where my feet where and I just kicked him out.

It was kinda scary for a few seconds but all was okay. But got to watch out for the water snakes that like to bast in the sun, on branches over water. Very common and even more common now that we have many trees knocked down hanging over creeks and streams from the last 2 seasons of hurricanes.

3. tjpet

tjpet

Used to fish a mountain stream that flowed out of a beaver dam. Chock full of brookies in the 10-12" range. Very spooky fish, though. Any hint of a shadow and they'd scatter for cover so I'd always crawl in the last few yards on my hands and knees.

One day I'm crawling and notice movement out of the corner of my right eye. Low and behold there's a good-sized rattler under a sagebrush about 4ft. away. He's coiled and flicking his tongue but not rattling - sort of looking me over. I froze for a few seconds and slowly backed up. Got to the truck, emptied my pants, and fired down a cold one.

After that I always carried a snubgun w/snake loads. Never had another fact-to-face confrontation that close again, though.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, as for lake/fishing/snake stories, the only one i got (personally), is, my son and i were loading the boat on the trailer at the boat ramp trying to escape a MAJOR storm, and possible water spout, (tornado on water), some mucho bad stuff was happening. ( we had took a trip to a big lake somewhere).

Any way, i noticed my son was mostly staying out of the water, and standing on everything he could put his feet on as we rushed to get the boat secured on the trailer, etc.

Then he said.. "Dad, don't you see all those water mocs, in the water all around you?" I said.. "NO, I been to busy trying to get the heck outta here before we end up in Kansas like Dorothy!"

About then, a screaming Pain hit the calf of my leg, and i shot out of there like a nuclear missle. 'I could care less' what anyone says about snakes biting under water... THIS ONE DID! I had two fang holes in my calf to prove it.

We got out, and up the ramp, major storm to the max, and i was, in about 15 minutes feeling sorta strange, like in freaked in the head a little, and burning in the leg....

Well as most of ya on here know me, you know out here in West Tx. on our Ranch, we got box car loads of rattlers, in fact, more on our ranch, than any other ranch in our county...... I can deal with this, and am used to it.....

But this stuff that "don't rattle," forget it man, i got no time for this.... I drove all the way home, swerving all over the place, while my son yelled get on the road dad! I had some semi-phycodelic Jimi Hendrix experiences for a while, and finally got to the house and would not let any one take me to the hospital, just told them to leave me alone, and Placed compresses on the wound, and stuck it out, and was back outside workin the next day. ( cowboy pride ), Please no comments! My wife had another name for it! :)

So, moral of story... I ain't sure myself, but i do know, i hate snakes that DO NOT RATTLE! And those that do rattle die swiftly out here by my sixgun. Nothing like going to get something out of the truck at night, or checking on something in the barn and hearing BUUZZZZZZZ! ;) Brithches changing time!

But My Stetson is off to you boys that live were there are mocs, and cotton mouths, and other "non rattling types," man i 'DO NOT' envy you.

CanyonMan

5. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

rp, I think water moccasins must hate you for some reason. I've been lucky. Never had to fight any snakes. And, I'm not a fisherman, so I don't have a story.

;g

;8 ;I

6. SoonerPast

SoonerPast

but, there is gratification that someone else has had snakes come up over the side. It happened to me on a river and two of them almost made it in over the side of my canoe.
    A couple of years ago a small one tried, but he wasn't big enough to get enough of his head up over the side.

7. JOE MACK

JOE MACK

I've run into a few rattlers while hunting and fishing. I just give them a wide berth and go on my way. Glad I'm not trooping around the Everglades and have to watch for moccys, copperheads, rattlers, gators, panthers, and now gator (and human?) eating pythons. What next, anacondas?;P

8. noway

noway

{Glad I'm not trooping around the Everglades and have to watch for moccys, copperheads, rattlers, gators, panthers, and now gator (and human?) eating pythons. What next, anacondas?}

Debunking the glades myths:

copperheads aren't going to be found in the glades only like 4-5 FLA counties have copperheads and all are far northern florida and near the GA-border.

Rattlers snakes, you will more than likely run across a pygmy ( latin for small ) ground rattler that's about as long as my computer keyboard. Diamondbacks are very very rare and most of these 2 rattle snakes are very shy and timid and will run away. You will see more harmless racers and braid snakes than rattle snakes.

gators, wild gators are more scared of you than you of them. They don't want their tails cutoff or skins made into belts. You have more of an chance being hit by lighting than attack by a gator. Actually more people die in this state from lighting-strikes than gators ;)

Panthers, are a big scared cats that you will most likely not see unless you have luck or go to wildlife preserve. No human in the state of FLA have been bitten/attacked by a panther in the wild and the state has been keeping data on them for the last 50yrs or so. Also you have about 120 radio-collared panthers and that's not alot of panthers;

In my personal experience, the everglades is probably more safer than Liberty City or the Overtown Section of the city of Miami ;e

You only have to put up with about 30+ different annoying mosquitoes.