close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snakes and Ground blinds don't go together

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Oct 23, 2004.

1. noway

noway

Last friday I did some scouting and hunting on a dry leeve bank. I ran into a pygmy rattle snake, crawling out from a palmetto sticket heading towards my blind.

2. noway

noway

another view.... I let him live to see another day

3. noway

noway

And here he goes running away.

4. sniper1moore

sniper1moore

Nice pics!Glad you didn't step on him.Ken

5. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

Your more of a man than I am. I would have killed that son of a !@#$%! I have only seen one rattlesnake in the wild and it was a timber rattlesnake. I will say the skin is hanging on my wall now. It was 5'2" long and had 14 rattles. Heck with animal right's. I don't like snakes.^3

6. noway

noway

Believe it or not but that particular species of snake only grows to 24-28" max on avg. The world record is 31" IIRC. Very common snake in these parts. If you leave it alone it will leave you alone. Very few people die from this snake bite and some of the people bitten don't even seek medical treatment ( I would not reccommend this ).

I've probably stepped on 5 or so of these snakes by accident due to their size ( all less than 18" and about as thick as my thumb) and the fact that their little rattler is not loud. You pretty much have to put your ear next to it to hear it. ;)

The #1 posionous snake outside of cottonmouth that you will run across in the deep south of FL, is this snake. #2 are cottonmouths ( mainly around waters) and #3 & #4 are probably Eastern Diamondback and coral snake in that order. You have to actualy go looking for these to find them. ( I've only seen 4 easterns in my normal hunting grounds and NO coral snakes ). Timber ( aka canaebrake) rattlers and copperheads are rare and normally way north like in the pensacola nad GA areas.

#1 snake you will find in the wet glades is all black racers ( aouthern and everglades sepcies ) trust me they are 100% more afraid of you, and 10 out of 10 times they will run off at amazing speeds. I haven't yet been able to take a picture of one alive, since they move so quick.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

I agree, the only good snake is a dead one.

8. noway

noway

{I agree, the only good snake is a dead one.}

and if everybody randonly start targeting snake because they are snake and kill them, then we will be loosing species of snake and placing them on a endangered list.

Think about some of the species of snakes that are so near endangered and threaten that only a few are left ( massasauga,indigo,a few garter snakes,etc.....)

Snakes believe it are not plays a role that's vital in the food circle.

9. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

I was doing a little scouting about a week before opening bow day in MD (so about sept 8) a couple years ago. I had on nothing but jeans and low cut leather shoes cause of the warm weather. I was in western Fredrick county at the Fredrick City watershed on Mountaindale road if anyone knows where that is. Anyway, I was walking along a trail where I had shot a nice doe with my bow the year before when I took a step over a log and near 10 inches from my foot, looked down to see a coiled up timber rattler about the size of a basketball. Shocked the heck out of me. I froze and slowly pulled my foot back. Then I looked around to make sure there aren't any more, remembering the old wive's tale that rattlers move in pairs. Then I scouted somewhere else, watching every step. The snake never rattled, so I have no idea what could have happened, but it instilled a great amount of respect in me. Just be carefull everyone and you'll be fine. I have invested in a pair of snakeboots for early bow-season.

10. DonD

DonD

Well, Noway, not trying to flame at all, your position has validity in wildlife management circles. I like non poisonous snakes. In New Mexico we have some large Bullsnakes. I picked up one that was 7ft. They do all the good in terms of rodent control that rattlers can do while posing no risk to humans. I like Bulls but would kill any rattler I found. Just my neanderthal position. Don ;f

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

And that is a bad thing?
    I understand what you are saying. But I too am a neandrathall and would not mind at all that the snake population disappeared. Sure rodent population would increase but that would mean that coyote and fox popultaion would increase, it would become OK to wear furs again, I could hunt for another 5 months in the winter for coyotes.

12. noway

noway

{And that is a bad thing}

Also what one don't understand is that every snake killed has the ptential of eating other snakes. The prey on rodents,frogs,fish & SNAKES!. Just think about that before smashing a rattler or non-rattler when you kill it in it's own backyard doing what it was designed todo by nature. :(

Humans needs to get off the power trip of ALL snakes are bad and needs to be killed. We have dominion over animal ( genesis 1:26 ) , but un-warranted killing of animals is not something we should not be doing. The 2 snakes pictured above are all unagressive to myself, not of a threat and most importantly, I WAS IN THEIR BACKYARD.

When I was younger, I was mislead and ignorant and thought the same way, but now I respect all animals. They all gets the same respect no matter if they are a cold blooded snake or a warm blooded hog.

13. lomfs24

lomfs24

I can respect that noway.

14. Alpine

Alpine

Tip: Step up ON the log, and look down at the other side of it before you step down. Don't just stride over the log. This is part of the "never put your hand or foot where you can't see" rule.

15. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

That's true, but this one was half on the log, not hiding under it. I plain missed him. The trunk was only about 6 inches tall. If I had even touched the bark, I'd have gotten tagged. I was watching everywhere I stepped, but the snake looked just like a rock till I was about on it. I didn't kill it, and I didn't get bit. I just backed away.

16. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

BOOM!!!!BANG!!!! sounds of me running away screaming..
    ;f ;f ;a

17. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Well I know one thing..... I wouldn't have stood around long enough to take no picture of him.

;g

;8 ;I