Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snake Boots

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Semper Gumby, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby

South East NC
    Does anyone have any exp with boots advertised at snake proof? I was wondering if they are really necessary. It seems as though a snake would have a hard time biting through regular knee high rubber hunting boots. This last hurricane left a lot of water standing and the snakes are thick, but not as thick as the skeeters.
  2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I don't know much about the snakes you encounter there in hurricane country, (except i was bit by a moc once), but rattlers 'will bite' through that rubber boot, or even my 17" high Olathe custom made cowboy boots.

We wear horse or mule hide custom boots on the ranch, along with chaps, or chinks, this is to protect from mequite thorns, cactus needles, and a cajillion varities of cactus and other stinging cuttin bushes, plus barbed wire, and an occasional steer horn will 'slide off' rather than 'puncture' your leg, and it helps on the wrangler jeans bill ;)

I said all that to say, that even in all this, a rattler can bite right through.... it is a little better if you got 'full length' chaps, and your cowboy boots on, as the chaps, ( especially if they are batwing style), will help put some "flap" between them, (the snakes), and your leg.... but in all that, bottom line, they can bite through a normal boot, and yes the rubber as well, at least the rattlers can.

When we have guided on the ranch, we always insist that the folks wear the "snake leggins," these snap on and off quickly, and DO provide 100% protection, as do the boots. (snake boots).

I know some folks wear the sanke boots that "lace up." I do not mean to sound smart hear, but that is (in our opinion), not a wise idea, BECAUSE, when one 'hits you,' and gets a fang stuck in that lace, and you are jumping around like a grass hopper in a hot skillet screaming and thinking of shooting (whoa), this is not good... it can prove funny to those with you, but you will not find it amusing in the least.

the rap around snap up "leggins" is what we suggest, as those who are very well aquainted with snakes, at leat the rattling kind.

Both will protect you 100%... but i would suggest the leggins, over the lace up, for the above reason.

Bass proshop carry's the brand we put on folks here, and they are about 35/45.00. Cabela's has them as well.

3. noway

Davie "Cowboy" , FL
    I've used rocky and redhead and currently own chippewa. I've also own a pair of the LaCrosse waterproof rubberize snake boots Here's my take;

1> They are an additional security aganist snakes bites, just like wearing orange vest is additional safety item. Better to have it and don't need it vrs n don't have it and do need it.

2> The rockys and redhead are waterproof BUT they don't last and will leak sooner or later. You can get them re-coated but it is not as good as new.

3> chippewa are expensize and hard to get on and off your foot so buy a size bigger. They are also noiser if you don't secure the bottom and side straps. Also when bending and squatting the upper leg liner is not as flexible. But with all of this, I think they are made more durable than the others mention above.

4>l the waterproof lacrosse diamondback boots are hard as hell on your heels and sides of the toes. Get these 1-2size bigger. I wear a 11.5 shoe on avg and I whent up to a size 13 with these for the additonal comfort. They are very nice but no where as-comfortable as the redheads or rocky. If you do some serious walking like over 3miles or so, your feet will look like raw meat ;)

Now in all of my years, I haven't never been close to being striked by a real snake. The pygmy rattlers ( aka ground rattlers ) are the only snakes I've ever stepped on accidently , & that's been at night or near dark and the snake is only 2-3ft max in length. The bite protection of these boots are suppose to be good and if you don't go for a full boot get some snake-bite-proof lower chaps and wear a good solid leather boot.
  4. allhowl

NE Okla.
    I have some snap on snake leggins and they are "snake tough".

The only disadvantage is that they are loud and your legs will get tired soon because of their stiffness & extra resistance.