close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoking/BBQing Turkey

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Cali-Glock, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I am hot smoking/ bbqing our Turkey for tomorrow using oak in a side box. :) Here is a pic I took minutes ago.

2. lwt210

lwt210

Mine (turkey breast on bone) is sitting in the fidge right now. Just got er injected and rubbed.

The alarm is set for 0400 to get the fire going. It is supposed to be cold (well, cold for Bama...like 40 degrees) in the morning so I should have a good time.

Doing a small boneless ham also.

3. lwt210

lwt210

Might as well put the digital camera to good use while I wait....

Neighbors are already looking over here at the pit.

4. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I was just talking to my wife about this this morn... I just got a new smoker/grill and I think I would like to do a turkey.

Any suggestions...? Temps, time of cooking? Foil...?

5. lwt210

lwt210

WARNING! Once you smoke a turkey, your wife will insist that you do it every year. Fair warning cause that is what Mrs. lwt210 demands now.

We inject ours with a cajun sauce....we made our own one time and this time we used one she bought at Walmart. Both were good.

I inject the bird the night before. I sprinkled creole rub (again, store bought this time; made my own last time) on the outside and inside and back into the fridge till morning. Had three apples on hand that were getting too ripe so I set them to the side. Also soaked my mesquite overnight.

EARLY this morning.....to the tune of four thirty, woke up and got the fire going. With the ambient temp and the light sprinkle of rain, it took a little longer than usual. Once the pit was up to around 250 degrees (little before six), put the bird on unwrapped and let her smoke. Kingsford started with a chimney starter and two or three mesquite chunks on top. Put two drip pans with water and apple chunks underneath the bird and ham.

After about three hours I packed the inside of the breast with apple chunks that I cut up from the ripe apples and I basted the bird with the same injector sauce. Then the foil was applied to where I could still see the little pop out thermometer. Oh yeah, turned her about every hour and repositioned her with the boneless ham cause pits have different temps at different spots.

After about six hours at between 225 and 250 deg. the button popped. Took her and the ham out and let them sit for about twenty minutes before the side dishes were done. Carved her up and juicy, smokey, moist chunks of turkey were enjoyed by all. Even my five year old, who turns his nose up to all sorts of things, devoured this bird.

Skin was spicy and crisp.....good all around. I doubt the wife will ever cook one again she loves this method so much. And it leaves her oven free for the dressing, pies, rolls and whatnot.

What kind of smoker do you have? Vertical bullet kind or horizontal barrel smoker? This is a pic of mine.

Hope this helps.

6. lwt210

lwt210

Nevermind. Just saw your thread/pic about dry ribs and answered my own question.