close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

smoking a brisket

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Glockerel, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

All of you tuning in to tell me it's hard to keep lit., I beat ya....

So,
    I bought an offset smoker and want to do a brisket right. Any thoughts on doing the slow smoke at 225f-250f?
    Rubs, marinades, wood choices?
    Thanks friends.

2. noway

noway

wood = mesquite,oak and hickory

temp = 200-220 on the temp gauge, 250 ( IMHO ) is too hi for beef

Rubs = My family makes a basic rub consistent of mustard, brown sugar or honey, parika,cheyenne and salt & pepper. We also sometime get lazy and just used the "Fiesta Brand Brisket rub" with added ingredients that we have laying around.

We 1st sear the meat on the grill portion of our offset box and then ,
    slow smoke the brisket , at about 1.5hrs per pound or until the meat is fully cook and slightly pink to white inside. A 14lb brisket will be done right about 20hrs into the job. If the inside temp when using a pyrometer is 180deg , then the brisket is wrapped and place in a oven or the high shelf in the smoker.

Cut across the grain in thin or thicker slice if it is too tender after it cools and eat with bake beans and bread.

:)

3. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

My basic rub is paprika, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, light brown sugar, thyme, and a pinch of cayenne -- which I apply at least 24 hours in advance.
    I agree with noway on the method, and I generally use mesquite.
    If you don't have the time or have a small brisket, you can cook it over higher heat (with a drip pan). Cook for about 2 hours then wrap in foil and cook for an additional 2-4 hour depending on size.

4. noway

noway

P.S: Another good wood that burns very clean and steady temp is Pecan. It's great for red meats,pork and poultry.

My dad now gets his wood free from a tree-trimmer and he mainly uses mesquite and pecan combo or mesquite and oak combo. Hickory is another good cooking wood but darn hard to find and quite expensive unless you have it locally available in your area.

One other thing, mesquite is known to turn poultry meat slightly red, when cooking. Some folks like this others don't , so just be aware.

5. nickg

nickg

smoking a brisket

you could try rolling it up in really big papers, but it's hard to keep lit!! ;f ;f