close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoking a Boston butt....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by meathead19, Jun 18, 2012.

1. meathead19

meathead19

bone in this weekend, small one.....6-7 lbs. as it's my first try and don't want to mess it up along with wasting $.

I have some small Persimmion and Cherry pieces drying on the porch in the sun, as they're recently cut, but have plenty of dried Hickory. It's suppose to be hot and dry for several days, so I'm hoping they'll dry enough.....

If the Persimmon and Cherry are still a bit "green", should I just stick with the Hickory? Pic is cherry on bottom, per on top.

Thanks.

Pig was enjoyed by all.

Smoked till 140 IT and then put on weber gas indirect heat for the remainder.

took right at 9 hrs overall grill time, but very rewarding. Here's some pics.....:wavey:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I'd stick with the hickory anyway though the cherry might be good. Not sure about the persimmon. Boston butts take a long time (12-14 hours if you do them right) and you can over smoke them. Are you cooking with charcoal and flavoring with wood are doing it all with wood. When I did them in my Bar-B-Chef offset smoker I would use hickory chunks with the charcoal for about the first 4 hours and then finish with straight charcoal. I would also put them in foil for the last couple or few hours if the bark looked like it was going to burn. Boston butts are probably the most forgiving BBQ meat so if you keep your temp around 225-250 you should turn out something good to eat. Cook it to an internal temp of 195 and then take it off and let it sit, wrapped in foil, on the counter for an hour or so until it's cool enough to pull or chop.

3. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

what time should we be there for dinner?:supergrin:I love a good smoked butt!:wow:

4. ozark-tracker

ozark-tracker

build your fire and let it burn down and get it around 200-220 degrees, I wrap my meat with foil for the first few hours, keep adding wood to keep your temperatuer up, then unwrap and start putting in your cherry or persimmon wood, I chunk mine up smaller than what you have pictured and I soak mine in water so it'll smoke more, about an hour a pound is what I shoot for, watch for the liquid coming out at the finish and it should be clear, but I'd cook one the size of yours about 7 hours to start with, the reason I use foil, my wife doesn't like a really heavy smoke ring on the meat, I'd unwrap it at about 4 hours and let it finish the final 3 with smoke.

5. ray9898

ray9898

Stick with the hickory. I only smoke mine for the first 3 to 4 hours or so. I would say a 7lb will be between 10-12 hours total.

6. meathead19

meathead19

I will be using Royal Oak Hardwood lump charcoal.

Then put either wood as needed to get that nice smokey taste.

7. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

8. meathead19

meathead19

If I had a tried and true recipe, I'd invite you!!! :wavey:

9. meathead19

meathead19

Sounds like you have it nailed down.....by the way:

Go Cocks!!!

But I did notice the score.....barely.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. Restless28

Restless28

Buy a good cut of meat. Most grocery store butts are full of fat. Lean butts have plenty of edible meat.

11. meathead19

meathead19

Coming from my local butcher shop....said it would be in by Wed. Picking it up Friday so I can throw on some spices and let it sit covered in fridge till Sat. AM.

12. ray9898

ray9898

The fat is where the flavor is. It starts rendering at about 160 degrees and magic happens.

13. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

meathead,

I cook mine on a Big Green Egg, and have the pit temp stabilized at 250 degrees using Ozark Oak lump and a mixture of hickory and apple for the smoke.. They cook for an awfully long time, and I pull them out of the cooker when they hit 190. Usually takes anywhere from 12-14 hrs for a decent sized roast.

14. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

+1

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. meathead19

meathead19

I'm going to give it a try on the PK grill. And will post pics ......maybe.

16. ray9898

ray9898

Just bet on 1.5 hours per pound and you will never go wrong. You will always be in the ballpark.

There are lots of ways to do it. Most smoke for a few hours then wrap in foil to finish. I normally cook to slice at 190 and to pull at 200. I try to keep my temps under 235.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  17. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Don't soak your wood and don't wrap a butt. Have your smoker at 225. Slather the butt with CYM (cheap yellow mustard) and liberally apply your rub. Let it "sweat" in the fridge for at least an hour. You can put a water pan in if you are using an offset or direct unit, it won't hurt. You want your meat to accept smoke when the collagen is breaking down, after 140 IT, it is not accepting smoke any longer. Be patient when you see the IT hanging between 165 and 175, it is in the "stall" where the collagen is actually breaking down and cooling the meat, this is normal. After that it will continue on it's way. I have seen butts take 10 hours and I have seen them take 17 hours, it's done when it's done.

As for woods, don't use any green wood. Seasoned fruit woods and hickory are my favorites. Whenever I can buy peach chunk, I buy it all. Chips are not worth buying, they burn out quickly.

I prefer the bark of a finished butt, but once you hit butter probe tender, or about 205 degrees IT, you can rest it on the counter for fifteen minutes, wrap in foil and towels and place in a cooler. This will take some of the heat energy from the meat and prevent it from overcooking while resting in the cooler when juices redistribute throughout the pork. After that, you are good to go. I like to pull mine in larger chunks, by hand, removing any larger fats or connective tissues and allowing for better bark bites when eating.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I'd go with hickory soaked in brown vinegar.

(The cherry wood sounds interesting... :cool: )

19. Fred G

Fred G

20. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear