Smoker grills: basics and recommendations

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lwt210, Apr 12, 2004.

1. lwt210

lwt210

The wife and I are thinking about getting a smoker grill. My step father used to have one made by Brinkman and he would make the best boston butts on that thing.

Thinking about trying it out but I remember him staying up all night to "smoke" the meat.

Anyhoo, any recomendations on this? Also, what meats can you smoke on a smoker grill? Turkeys and ham?

Any and all answeres appreciated in advance.;c

2. AAshooter

AAshooter

I have the weber smoker. It uses charcoal and wood chips. It can be set up for use as a steamer, smoker or BBQ. I just smoked a pork roast for pulled pork and some ribs . . . it works great.

3. noway

noway

I have the brinkman vertical electric smoker with swapable charcoal/wood bottom. I can seperate it and make it a ground level grill if I wanted to. Total price for everything was under $100.0 and I have had mine for about 3years now. I only replace the water pan twice and finally whent to Wal-mart and put a 12qt stainless steel pan inside of it. The only problem I had is the coating inside is peeling off and the electric element is kinda showing signs of wearing down from erosisin.

1st question is what do you really want and how much are you going to spend ?

You mention grill & smoker so I guess you need a horizonal smoker & grill. A few nice one are available on the market. My dad had his custom made with propane tank or turkey fryer attach. It is the one with offset fire box w/grill . The main part has water/catch pan and rack for smoking meats ( brisket/pork sholuder/etc. ) with pyrometer and a single exhaust stack. All for a cheap $2K dollars. This grill is on wheels and can easily be towed to outings. I was promise that if he should died, I would be will'd the smoker and I will probably give it to my little ones if I should every get kids. That's pretty much how durable this smoker is.

They ( parents ) also have a few commercial ones ( Brinkman, New Bruansfel, and one more ....) guess what all are where cheap in design and burn out if you realy use them or cook professionally with. So save your money and get a heavy duty thicker wall model, that can stand the test of time,heat and transportation.

the Brinkman model he has I did some welding and attaching and made it sturdier but the overall it is junk.

New Braunfels smoker is made from light weight thin ga metal and it will not last you any time. Great when new but after a year or 2 it will start to wrap , burn out, and plain give you a nice PITA. It does have a very well design table for chopping and a warmer section for keep pans of meat warm but not really getting cook.

{ Also, what meats can you smoke on a smoker grill?}

You can somke anything and everything, Here's just a small portion of meats I've smoked in my life;

chikcken
    turkey
    Porkshouler
    Hams
    Venison ( Deer and Elk )
    Fish fillets
    Beef ( Brisket,Ribs,Skirt Steak )
    Buffalo
    Goat

Various woods I've used ( mesquite,pecan,oak,hickory,walnut,cherry,maple, apple )

The 1st 3 I listed are my favorites with mesquite being my #1 smoking wood for fowl and maple my second choice.

Good luck on you're selection, beadvise you get what you pay for. The electric models are great starters smokers, or if you are restricted like me to NO wood burning grills due to residental fire codes.

So think about how much cooking and what you needs ( electric/wood ) and wants & get the model that fits that need.

Some other things to look at are ;

> thickness of metal
    > how good the welds are
    >accessories ( table, supports,etc...)
    >How good the legs are ( don't want the thing falling over on you )
    > ease to applying wood/charcoal
    > water tray
    > rack supports and rack material
    > adjustable exhaust stack
    > pyrometer

once again good luck.

4. KHAviator

KHAviator

I would highly recomend the Weber Smokey Mountain. You will find that both backyarders and serious competition BBQ cooks use the WSM. I've never seen a Brinkmann at the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ championship.

Along with being better quality and far more air tight which enabels long unattended cooks the WSM has great support at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

HTH,

5. AAshooter

AAshooter

Thanks for the reference. I was unaware of the web site.

6. MB-G26

MB-G26 Canceled Lifetime Member

that was To.Die.For.
    I'm not kidding.... no marinating, no nothing else, just whichever smoke wood chips he used and his big, red, canister smoker thing. Those turkeys were soooooooo good.... I mean, leave-teeth-in-jar tender, they just melted away on the palate.

Let's see, that's two things I do miss: the smoked turkeys and his faeries..... ;)
    m

7. rdsharp

rdsharp

Pefectly understandable, although I've never heard them referred to in quite this way before. ;K

8. Schmit

Schmit GySgt

9. JennYe

JennYe

You all are making me hungry just talking about smoking meats on the grill.
    Resolved:
    Today I will buy some meat and fire up my Weber grill.
    And some Atkins veggies to go with it.
    And some Atkins wine and beer. (Does Atkins approve wine and beer???)

;e