Smith & Wesson M&P R8/TRR8

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Chairforce26, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Chairforce26

Chairforce26

I don't hear a lot about these revolvers but I've been seeing them more often in gun stores around here. They definately look cool and are honestly one of the only revolvers I like to own but man are they expensive, they go for around $1200 in the stores. Man, they are a big and heavy handgun but I like the idea of shooting 8 rounds of .357 or .38 special seems like it would be a fun gun to shoot but with that kind of size and weight it doesn't seem like something you'd want to carry hiking or obviously concealed. Might make a good home defense gun in a ban state.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Eh, internal lock and MIM parts.
    I’ll pass. Doesn’t impress me at all.

Not sure I’d take a new S&W revolver for free unless I could sell it and keep the proceeds.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle

I considered one, but ended up with a S&W 686 Plus. Same gun, more or less, but the 686 P is in the $750 range. The 686 has the classic S&W look, whereas the 8R is more tacticool. But the $450 upcharge is just not worth it for me.

[​IMG]
    Talo edition 686 Plus with unfluted cylinder.

4. Quickling

Quickling

That is the first time Ive ever heard an R8 called heavy.

NH Trucker, Taroman and Macc283 like this.
  5. powernoodle

powernoodle

Bull crap. You would wet your panties if someone gave you a new L-Frame.

6. Stendec

Stendec Banned

If I had the disposable income I'm be on one like a duck on a June bug. And with the right holster I'd carry it.

.357 mag has been making bad guys behave for generations.

7. 2bgop

2bgop

Certainly I am not going to criticize someone who decides this best fits their need, there are many who would fall into that category, but they can take those internal locks and stuff them up their ass.

glock1911revolver likes this.
  8. powernoodle

powernoodle

35 oz. empty is not exactly feather light.

9. Quickling

Quickling

Eh.... I grew up with wheel guns, so to me thats as light as it gets (outside of a J frame).

10. Quickling

Quickling

As far as the locks, I would be happy if I didnt have a hole in the side of my gun, but they make some nice plus out there

11. Panzer

Panzer

I have one and I haven't had any problems with it as far as MIM parts are concerned. I did get a extended cylinder release from TKC and had it cera coated black to match the frame. Also removed the Internal lock and put a titanium plug to match the other pins that are exposed on the frame. Now as far as it shoots... Pretty damn well!

The frame is scandium and the barrel and barrel sleeve are stainless steel, so naturally its barrel heavy and in my opinion their is almost no barrel climb with .38 special.

In the end I just use this gun from home defense. All it needs is a weapon light and your good to go. But I am saving my Cabelas Points to buy a Luepold delta point red dot.

BigMick and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  12. ronin.45

ronin.45

The 627 is actually the steel equivalent. Your 686+ is on the L frame.

The R8/TRR8 is the lightweight version. It's not heavy at all for an N frame.

NH Trucker, Macc283 and fastbolt like this.
  13. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

Really? Glad you think so. I don’t even care for the old L frames.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

There used to be a S&W LE rep who was also a competitive revolver shooter. If I remember right (it was several years ago), it was he who was telling us that the 8-shot Scandium aluminum N-frame .357's, in either the R8 or TRR8 configuration, had originally been developed in response to an agency request for a dedicated handgun that could be used in conjunction with a ballistic shield. A special-purpose revolver which wouldn't suffer adverse functioning because there wasn't any cycling slide to come into contact with the front of the shield.

If I were going to go back to carrying a duty revolver hanging from a gun belt, I'd instantly choose either the R8 or TRR8. Having 8 rounds versus 6 rounds would be a nice 'capacity before having to load again' option (offering the capacity of a 1911, in other words). Also, the slightly longer barrel would really maximize any velocity-driven "performance" considerations of the .357MAG caliber.

The difference between a 35.2oz vs. a 43.6oz (unloaded, mind you) belt gun hanging off your hip would become increasingly noticeable over the course of 8-16 hours, too. ;)

Wish they'd have had the engineering savvy, technology, machining capability and access to Scandium back in my service revolver days. :) I'd have cheerfully carried one of those lighter 8-shot N-frames. I'd even have carried an all-stainless 627, if it had been around, though. It wouldn't have been that much more of a boat anchor, compared to my issued 686. We carried a lot less "stuff" on our gun belts back then (when they were called gun belts, and not equipment belts).

Besides, it would've looked nicely retro and even cool holstered in a Hoyt breakfront sewn to a black Buscadero rig, or hanging on an extended swivel shank below the Buscadero belt. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  15. Chairforce26

Chairforce26

I don't know a ton about revolvers, what's the deal with the internal lock being a bad thing?

16. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I have an AK that as soon as I can sell, I'll be getting a 327 TRR8.
    Wanna buy a new AK-47???

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Post a pic of your gun, if you care to.

This type of gun is #1 on my prority list, far as I can tell. Can't think of a different gun I want more at the moment :)

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Two things.
    1. It isn't needed, but was forced by the Hillary government (in a bully sort of way).

2. If it defectively locks unintentionally, you will suddenly have a paper weight. Why take that chance on a defensive gun, when you don't need and don't want the lock to begin with?

19. March817

March817

Ruger makes 8x.357 Redhawks now.

20. Chairforce26

Chairforce26

Oh that is dumb. I mean if you are worried about kids getting to your gun, how about not putting bullets in it instead?