close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smith & Wesson Centennial Model 40

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 427, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 427

I thought some of you snub/J-frame might like to see my Model 40.

It's one of the newer ones that can eat +P ammo. It has no lock, but there were a set of keys included which I thought was strange, but whatever!

The grip safety is cool, but the trigger pull is like 12Lbs. The trigger is case colored, too.

The only thing I did was add a Tyler-T and that's it. I think it's a cool piece!

I don't think the Centennials are in production anymore.

Please excuse my dark picts from my cheapie camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Very cool little gun, thanks for sharing.

3. ca survivor

ca survivor

4. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

IIRC they stopped putting the grip safety(Lemon Squeezer) on em' long before they were rated for +P. I'd double check the SN# and date of manufacture before I'd run much +P thru it. Hit the S&W Forum if you want to find out more about it. Lots of great folks over there that'll be willing to help give you more info.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

Centennials are still being made but they're called the 642 today. The reason that the little enclosed hammer J-Frame got the name "Centennial" was because it was brought out in 1952, the Centennial of S&W's company being started.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  5. Berto

Berto woo woo

S&W reintroduced the 40 in their 'Classic' series and they are no lock +P rated guns.

I love the case hardened finish on the new ones.

6. TN.Frank

Ahh, ok, that explains it then. :supergrin:

I remember once, many years ago(I was probably 12 or 13) being down here in Tennessee on vacation with the folks. Dad and I stopped in at a market on the side of the road to get a soda and something to eat and somehow we got to talking about guns. The store owner, an older guy, pulled out a Centennial of his pocket to show dad and I. I thought it was pretty cool back then and now I own the grandson of that gun, the 642. Funny how guns a person sees or learns about in his youth can effect our choices now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  7. Six4Sure

Six4Sure

Very nice, I would love a centennial with the grip safety. The classic line definitely has the better looks then my airweight. If only they all had the bluing like that!

8. 427

These are reissues of the classics. I bought this new. The date on the envelope for the spent shell is 03-24-08 and the left side of the barrel is roll marked ".38 S&W Special+P. :wavey:

9. 427

Thanks for the compliments, everybody!!!

10. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

That is a very sweet carry revolver you have there............ Congrats!

11. lilrinn1019

lilrinn1019

i carry a centennial model 442 alot they are awesome revolvers

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

13. Locoweed

Locoweed

The original model is the model 40. The new classic line is the model 40-1. If it says 40-1 (look under the yoke) then it's okay with +P. The 40-1 is available in plain steel, nickel and color case hardened. No lock on any of them.

14. DFin

DFin

What did S&W do differently to make their steel J's able to handle +P? I have a 1982 made model 60. That was before S&W came out with the +P designation. Is it unsafe to put +P cartridges in it?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. TN.Frank

Probably something to do with the alloy of the steel or the heat treatment. Just a guess though.

16. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

I think it has something to do with the strength of the metal then and now. I have a Model 60 that I run +P's through that was made in the 70's. A gunsmith that I know said it would be fine running some every now and then, just don't do extended range sessions with them. I run 5 or 10 rounds through it once in a while and keep it loaded with them for carry. It hasn't hurt mine at all. It's still tight and still more accurate than I am.YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. Glock40man

Glock40man

Very cool, congrats!

18. pennlineman

pennlineman

Cool gun 427. My LGS had a 42-2 like yours, it was a neat gun. I put an old 27-2 on layaway instead. If it's still there I may snag it up later. They have a habbit of getting more than one nice S&W in at a time. It make it hard to choose sometimes.

19. 427

Thanks guys!

It's a 40-1. I got it at a LGS for a discount. It was a display model that has a tiny but noticeable wear spot from people picking it up and putting it down on the counter barrel first on it's right side. Since it hadn't sold for a while because of the cosmetic issue, I got a bit of a break on the price. A touch of Sharpie takes care of the spot!

Shooting regular ammo wasn't as bad as I thought it would be in terms of recoil. That being said it's not something that'd I can't wait to shoot, if you know what I mean.

An older shooting buddy gave me a couple of boxes of LE ammo that he calls the "FBI" load. It's a 158gr LHP that's +P. I'm sort of afraid to fire these out of the snubbie.

My buddy also says that he has some factory ammo called the "Treasury" load. From what I'm reading, I don't think I'll be shooting them out of my little revolver.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

THe FBI load won't hurt that gun, the "Treasury Load" is a +P+ 110gr, which is hot, but won't hurt anything in limited quantities.