smith & wesson 65

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Travispitt, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Travispitt

Travispitt

I was looking around on the gunbroker at smith and wesson revolvers and I couldn't believe how much the 3" model 65 was going for. there was one that had bids over $700 and a couple over $600. when I sold mine last year they were selling for $300-350. why has the going price doubled in a year?
    I'm sure glad I bought that revolver back a couple of weeks ago :supergrin:

2. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

I also sold a 65-1 last year for $250, I needed it sold fast. I could
    have got $350 easy even with it being a police trade in.

These boys trying for $600 have lost their minds, they get an old police trade in and think they have something special.So there is a big difference in TRYING to sell for $600, and getting it. Just cause it says Smith and Wesson doesn't make it rare and valuable. Far from it. And as far as quality goes, my New Taurus blows away the older 65. Lot's of myth behind that gun, and nostalgia. It aint THAT great!

3. Messer

Messer

I think there are a few reasons that the prices have gone up...

1) They don't make it anymore. The only K frame's offered are .22's & 38's, if you want a .357, you have to get a L frame. So, while not rare, if you want one, you'll have to buy one that's already out there.

2) People are buying up all the "No Internal Lock" S&W's they can get. Partially because of number 1 above, and partially because they don't trust the lock.

3) Guns (especially S&W's) with 3" barrels are HOT right now.

I have always liked the 3" revolver, it just looks "right" to me.

I have a S&W 24-3 3" in 44 Special, a S&W 625 3" in 45ACP, and a S&W 65-5 Lady Smith 3" in 357 Magnum. All are great guns, and depending on my mood, all get carried.

Glad you got your 65 back, it's a keeper.

Gatorhugger - glad you got a good Taurus. I know they do make them, but I've seen more problems with their quality control than I'd care to deal with.

Take care,
    Bob S.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

3" K-frame .357 Mag.
    One of the holy grails now.
    Got mine a ways back.
    :wavey:

5. Travispitt

Travispitt

they are selling for $600+ not just listed at that price.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153502148
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=152507430

6. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

just because a person bid that does not make it worth it. A 3 in 65 is not that rare. A 3 in 66 on the other hand, is harder to come by

7. Messer

Messer

I disagree.

Saying someone is ASKING a certain dollar value doesn't make it worth it is correct, but if people are willing to spend a certain dollar value it DOES.

Now - does it make it worth it to you - maybe not. It's kinda like all the guys that say they will not pay more than $150.00 for a used 30-30 rifle. While that WAS a common price, and you sometimes still find them that cheap, they are getting more & more scarce.

And as far as "Rare", you are correct, they are not - the word is desirable, and they ARE.

Take care,
    Bob S.

8. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Although I understand what you are say, I still stand by my statement. Just like any commodity sometimes a demand bubble will drive something above its worth. The other part is the liquidity, how many people are really buying them at that price? One site with a few people willing to pay X does not set X as the std price. Not to mention you have to figure in the locality. It would have to be a nice 686 to bring that here where I live.

Now the one listed on GB with box, papers and tools unfired is an outlier and I can see it bring more but not what the lister is wanting for it

9. Messer

Messer

I also understand what you are saying, and agree. The market can/will change. Who knows, maybe the days of $250.00 good, used S&W's will return. But right now, all across the country, people are spending money to get them. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

I picked up a LNIB S&W 65-5 Lady Smith last year from a local auction - I paid $475.00. I set my limit at $500.00 because I wanted it, but only up to a certain $ value. It was worth it to me.

What's it's value? Others have offered me more than $200.00 profit, so is it worth $675.00? To them - yes. And I keep it because I just can't walk down to the store and get another one.

Here is one going for more - with 10 bids - so it's worth it to somebody...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153754436

Would I buy another one at $475.00?... Yup! At $675.00... nope.

And for those that need pics...
    [​IMG]

Take care,
    Bob S.

10. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Well now lets look at this though.. 6 bills for a like new excelent Lady Smith in the presentation box or the unfired one on GB is not what I am talking about... to me those will bring higher money. I just can not get my head around paying that kind of money for a Std police trade in 65...

I have been at estate auctions where some bidder paid $50 for a $20 lamp too.....

11. remat

remat

It depends where you live. Out here K-frames START at $400 and I am not talking about mint with box/papers and they don't sit on the shelf long.It is not unusual to see nice 19's going for $500+.

12. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

I bought this 3 inch 65 new 15 years ago, but I wouldn't take 6 bills for it now.

[​IMG]

13. remat

remat

3"-ers....one of my favorites too... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. Vigilant

Vigilant

I have found the newer M65s to be hit and miss at best. The ones with the dash after the model number. We were issued these handguns until just a couple years ago, and I was glad to see them replaced with MP40s. Now, the older M65s were a different story. I have an itch for one myself, but only so much cash.