Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a S&W 629-6. I got it for defense against 4 legged critters while camping. I will normally be carrying Buffalo Bore 305 gr. lead bullets. What would be a good defense load against 2 legged critters. I know there are some penetration issues with this caliber.

· Registered
3,694 Posts
I just purchased a S&W 629-6. I got it for defense against 4 legged critters while camping. I will normally be carrying Buffalo Bore 305 gr. lead bullets. What would be a good defense load against 2 legged critters. I know there are some penetration issues with this caliber.
Not being a reloader, my 3" bbl Model 629-6 is stoked with Blazer 44 Spl 200 gr Gold Dot HP ammo. It has proven to be a consistent and accurate round for me. Though snappy in the 3" bbl, it has relatively mild recoil for fast accurate follow-up shots. Btw, I replaced the stock wood grips (pretty though they are) with Hogue monogrips...made an enormous difference in felt recoil. Ymmv. :cowboy:

· woo woo
31,830 Posts
Not being a reloader, my 3" bbl Model 629-6 is stoked with Blazer 44 Spl 200 gr Gold Dot HP ammo. It has proven to be a consistent and accurate round for me. Though snappy in the 3" bbl, it has relatively mild recoil for fast accurate follow-up shots. Btw, I replaced the stock wood grips (pretty though they are) with Hogue monogrips...made an enormous difference in felt recoil. Ymmv. :cowboy:
+1
I'll only add the above-mentioned Blazer version is the one to get, the brass Speer version is velocity challenged. I'd go up to the Speer short bbl .44mag gold dot if you want a med vel .44mag load.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
Do I assume a 4" bbl? If you can find any 210gr silver tips. Really good sd load. IMO, the 305gr bob stuff is brutal in a 4" gun. This caliber is worth reloading for. A 250gr lswc at 1300fps is plenty for anything that walks on four kegs & easier to shoot fast da. Handload a 250grlhp @ 1000fps, plenty for anything on two legs.

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,881 Posts
For 2 legged critters, I would go with the following 44 Mag loads:
210 Gr. Speer Gold Dot
210 Gr. Winchester Silver Tip
225 Gr. Hornady Leverevolution (basically a flex tip XTP).

In that order. Even with the latter I'd be a little worried about over-penetration. The heavier bullets in 44 Mag just go, and go, and go... You get the idea.

ETA: Several manufacturers load a 180 Gr. bullet for 44 Mag but I have no experience with those loads. If I want to go that light, I'll shoot 10MM.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
I have a 629-2/3", it's my bear country backpacker. Seriously, it's worth reloading for. Even if you do it on the uber cheap with a Lee nutcracker. You'll pay for that in one box. A ss press setup can be had for under $250. What's that, 4-5 boxes of ammo? My 44mags have never fired factory ammo. You can have mild to wild for little more than the cost of 22lr.

Reactions: ruffterrain

· Registered
40,421 Posts
For 2 legged critters, I would go with the following 44 Mag loads:
210 Gr. Speer Gold Dot
210 Gr. Winchester Silver Tip
225 Gr. Hornady Leverevolution (basically a flex tip XTP).

In that order. Even with the latter I'd be a little worried about over-penetration. The heavier bullets in 44 Mag just go, and go, and go... You get the idea.

ETA: Several manufacturers load a 180 Gr. bullet for 44 Mag but I have no experience with those loads. If I want to go that light, I'll shoot 10MM.
I've shot a truck load of jack rabbits with 180gr jhp going fast, very explosive. You are right though, a hot loaded 10mm is actually a bit better with 180gr bullets in 3"-4" bbls.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
Do you reload? For 2 legged theats in my 44 mag's I load Speer 200 Grn Gold Dots's @ 1350 FPS from my model 69.
I would agree but my rev never see jacketed anymore. I shot the forcing cone out on my RBH, 1000s & 1000s of full power jacketed shooting met sil. All my rev now only get lead or coated lead. I cast a 250gr LHP that will expand down to 800fps or so. Push it along at 1000fps, soft shooting for a 44mag & expands to over 75cal, probably not quite stop inside a 200# target.

Reactions: Nanuk

· Banned
21,063 Posts
I'd go with Remington 240gr JHP.

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I took my new 629 to the range today. I found the factory grips are a little large for my hand. I shot several 240 gr. Magtech, 200 gr. Magtech copper, and some 240gr. handloads from my friend. Then I shot 2 rounds of Buffalo bore 305 gr. bullets. I now have a box of 48 Buffalo Bore rounds for sale. I thought I blew my gun up. Because the grips are a little large I have a blood blister about the size of a dime on the web of my hand. I ordered a set of Hogue grips which appear to be a little smaller than the factory grips. The grips will be delivered on July 6th. so that will give my hand time to heal. Thanks for all of your advice. I found it to be very true. By the way my 629 has a 4" barrel.

· Registered
1,868 Posts
I took my new 629 to the range today. I found the factory grips are a little large for my hand. I shot several 240 gr. Magtech, 200 gr. Magtech copper, and some 240gr. handloads from my friend. Then I shot 2 rounds of Buffalo bore 305 gr. bullets. I now have a box of 48 Buffalo Bore rounds for sale. I thought I blew my gun up. Because the grips are a little large I have a blood blister about the size of a dime on the web of my hand. I ordered a set of Hogue grips which appear to be a little smaller than the factory grips. The grips will be delivered on July 6th. so that will give my hand time to heal. Thanks for all of your advice.
For the critters in your new Smith check out the low recoil 250 grain load from Buffalo Bore. That would be my first pick. Good choice with the Hogue grips. And for SD I think you already got some good advise. I do like the looks of the Speer Low Recoil Gold Dot.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I have a S&W 629 w/8 & 3/8" barrel. Perhaps a bit longer than you have (not sure). I'd suggest using the 240g JSP FN (Remington) over top some Alliant 2400, makes a fairly stout load. Great load for deer or any other 4 legged creatures, not to mention the two legged creatures as well.

If it is the two legged critters you are loading for, let me suggest a Hornady 225g FTX LEVERelolution bullet over top some Alliant 2400. Now that will take care of business in a hurry. Just a thought

Good luck and be safe out there

Reactions: Nanuk

· Banned
21,063 Posts
I have a S&W 629 w/8 & 3/8" barrel. Perhaps a bit longer than you have (not sure). I'd suggest using the 240g JSP FN (Remington) over top some Alliant 2400, makes a fairly stout load. Great load for deer or any other 4 legged creatures, not to mention the two legged creatures as well.

If it is the two legged critters you are loading for, let me suggest a Hornady 225g FTX LEVERelolution bullet over top some Alliant 2400. Now that will take care of business in a hurry. Just a thought

Good luck and be safe out there

When using 2400, I'd watch out for unburnt powder under the extractor star.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.