close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SMITH & WESSON 4053/3953??? Good guns...?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 9mmasta, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 9mmasta

9mmasta

So I recently stumbled upon a sweet deal for a gun I've never heard of, but the more I research this model (4053) the more I'm intrigued and want to know learn about it. S&W made some pretty solid 3rd gen pistols and once I almost bought a 6906 a few years back, but at the last minute was offered a sweet deal on a Sig 225 I couldn't say no to.
    Anyways I have been researching the XX53 series and found they're pretty slick little guns. I love the idea of DAO, no safeties - except my own finger!, single-stack mag, AND they're ALWAYS in a half-cock to make the trigger pull a little easier/shorter!
    I'm hoping anyone who owns, has owned, or shot this series - whether it's the 3953 or 4053 - could offer some information on how they liked them...? I've searched all the forums and found very little information about them except that they're recommended as a quality CCW for anyone who's not looking to spend too much money =) I would like a little bit more information on them than that if possible. Thanks =)
    Please let me know if there's anything I should be worried about with these little guns?
    Here's a size comparison of a few guns in this category:

S&W 4053
    Barrel Length: 3.5''
    Overall Length: 6.75''
    Overall Height: ???
    Width: ???
    Weight: 25 oz.
    Capacity: 8+1
    Action: Double
    Trigger Pull: ???

Sig P239 DAK
    Barrel Length: 3.6''
    Overall Length: 6.6''
    Overall Height: 5.1''
    Width: 1.2''
    Weight: 29.5 oz
    Capacity: 8+1
    Trigger Pull: 7.0 lbs

Glock 26
    Barrel Length: 3.46''
    Overall Length: 6.29''
    Overall Height: 4.17''
    Width: 1.18''
    Weight: 19.75 oz
    Capacity: 10+1
    Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs

Kahr K9
    Barrel Length: 3.5''
    Overall Length: 6.0''
    Overall Height: 4.5''
    Width: 0.90''
    Weight: 25 oz
    Capacity:7+1
    Trigger Pull: ???

I've inserted an image so people know what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

2. rfd339

rfd339

Taged , interested in the same pistol but in 40sw. Thanks for the thread.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010

3. mds1140

mds1140 Red Blooded American! Silver Member

I own a 4053 (single stack mag model, not the tsw), it was my off-duty gun at my previous department.
    It is a solid tank of a gun. If you look at the barrel closely, you will noticed that it is THICK. The slide is very thick as well. It is my understanding that the gun was originally designed to shoot 10mm, but the 40 s&w came on strong so it was re-barreled for .40. I believe this because the magazines have a spacer on the back that appear to have been modified from 10mm to .40 S&W.
    If this is true, it would explain why it is built like a brickhouse. And it would leed me to believe that it will be able to take alot of abuse.
    The photo you included shows Hogue grips. The original grips are very thin, I prefer the hogue grips.
    The gun shoots real nice and is very accurate. The DAO trigger is heavy but smooth. My gun has proven to be very reliable. It also feels very good in the hand, for me anyway. When I bought it, I knew it was a 'keeper.'
    I am all Glock now, so I have not shot the 4053 in years. I may have to take it out again.

The only downside is a lack of support. I have used a Beretta holster (open bottom), and it worked nice.

If the price is right, I say Go For It!

4. mds1140

I forgot to add, I have no personal experience with the 9mm version.

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

3rd Gen Smiths are excellent guns.
    Before Glocks, they were the go to auto.
    :supergrin:

6. 9mmasta

9mmasta

If this is the case I'd be interested to know if there is a way to convert it to 10mm...? I would love to get an all metal gun this size in 10mm for CCW. Does anyone else know anything about this? Thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming =)

7. mds1140

I looked into the conversion years ago, but I don't think it's possible. You would have to get the barrel custom made, there is no real market for a company to build the barrel. You would also have to come up with custom mags, I believe converting the 40 mags would destroy them. You would also need custom recoil spring.

To sum it up, it does not seem possible.
    mike

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  8. 9mmasta

9mmasta

That's a bummer... guess I'll just have to stick with the G29 for the 10mm for now then.

Well... keep the information flowing on this Smith please? Is there any size difference between the 9mm and the .40SW? I've heard the 3913 is a little smaller than the 6906...?

9. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

I'm more familiar with the full sized versions in the three major calibers. But I have to say the 3rd-gen S&Ws are a very excellent platform.

10. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

The 3953 is DAO
    The 3913 is DA/SA with a safety and decocker similar in style to the Beretta 92 fs
    The two pistols share the same mags and are the exact same size, it is the internals that differ. The 3913/14 are outstanding carry pieces, and I have since retired my glock 26 as well as my M&P9c for LE off duty carry. The 6906 is simply a double stack version of the 3913.

11. Golddog

Golddog

I owned a 3953. Indifferent ergonomics and dreadful trigger - the long, heavy pull was the worst I've encountered from any major manufacturer. I wanted to like the gun because of its convenient size and good looks, but I hated the thing. I also owned a 909, whose DA pull was almost as awful.

Stick with the Glock 26, if it's your only other option.

12. mlk18

mlk18

I owned a 3953 and am looking for another. Excellent ergonomics and amazingly smooth and short trigger. One of the best DAO triggers I have ever felt. Broke at around 5.5lbs.

The 3953 is one of the best of the excellent S&W 3rd Gens. Felt like it was half as wide as the Glock 26 and much more substantial in the hand.

13. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

They are very reliable, but one drawback.......... heavy for long term concealed carry. My 4053 was very reliable out of the box. I also carried it off duty in leather pancake holster designed for a Glock 23. It is rougly the size of a G23. Thinner grip, but slide is just as thick. These guns were designed on the 4513 frame. They will not wear out. Magazines will be a little pricey and not easy to find. It uses the same magazine as the 4013.
    The 3953 is a totally diferent animal. Lighter and thinner. I used 155 grain Remington and Federal JHPs thru mine with no problem.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Great guns for sure. :)

15. 9mmasta

9mmasta

I thought the 3953 was the 9mm version? What makes it a totally different animal? Could you please elaborate on that statement? Is the 9mm version smaller than the .40S&W? I'm a Glock and Sig guy for the most part so Smith would be a new addition to the collection, but from what I've heard I won't be sorry about it...?

16. 81jasonG23

81jasonG23 Wheres the beef

+1. I had a 5903 police trade in Smith. It looked beat up until I refinished it but it always shot perfect. Most accurate and reliable gun I owned. Never jammed, never FTE...trusted it with my life...unfortunately when times get hard guns always sell so I had to say goodbye.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  17. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I pretty much agree with all of the above. Mine was a 3954 (blue version of the 9mm), comparatively thin and slick-sided (no levers hanging off the slide). For this old revolver guy, very shootable, too. If I found another 3953/3954 for a reasonable price and I had the money, I'd pick it up.

Was my last 9mm carry gun before I "went Glock" in the early '90s. :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  18. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

sorry, meant to say that i ran 155 grain thru the 4053. I used to run Federal 124 grain hydrashok thru the 3913 i also owned. Why I mean is that the 3953 is built on a 9mm frame and the 4053 is built on a .45 auto frame (4513) frame. The weight and size dimensions make the gwo guns totally diferent from each other. YOu can forget you are carrying a 3900 frame, but you will notice the 4013/4053 weight there.