Smith M&P vs Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fwdave, Apr 19, 2007.

1. fwdave

fwdave

I use a G34 for IDPA and USPSA production matches. I handled a Smith M&P today and must admit that I liked the balance, feel and trigger pull.

I would like very much to read the experiences and opinions of Glock owners who have changed and/or changed back

My Glocks have been dead reliable and I have no reason to change unless there is good reason to

2. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Ditto! Let's hear some INFORMED oppinions.

3. mballai

mballai

I have a Smith M&P9 which I like very much. Save for the annoying magazine disconnect (which can be removed or bought without) there's absolutely no reason why this gun can't compete as well as a Glock. However, I'm holding out for the 5-inch models which should show up later this year before making a decision to transition. Glocks still have many more options and I like them once I finish attacking them with a Dremel and a soldering iron :supergrin:

4. RRPD1

RRPD1

I own both and have shot the G34/17 and the M&P9 in USPSA Production. I've tested both platforms on standards drill that i use for practice. I like both of these guns. I can say from my testing that the M&P seems to be slightly more accurate than either of my glocks during high speed shooting drills. Specifically, I can see a difference in points on target at shots beyond 30 yards out to 50. Reloads are probably better with the M&P but I still haven't found a mag carrier that I like for those mags. The last major match I shot (last month) I did so with my G17.

For now, I am staying with the glock platform, but I am going to continue testing the M&P. In the two matches that I did shoot the M&P at my percentage in the overall combined was slightly lower than when I shoot a glock; about 4% or so. I don't see any disadvantage to the M&P version that is out now and don't see that there would be a big difference in the 5" version. In fact, my experience has shown that the G17 performs better for "me" than the G34, so the 4" versions of both the Glock and the Smith would work well in either IDPA or USPSA events.

Also my M&P does have a trigger job and Dawson fixed sights, so it is not stock. My glocks are about the same - improved triggers and Dawson fixed sights. I've tested both with numerous brands of factory ammo and the 9mm reloads that I use for competition, which is a Zero 147gr JHP with VVN320.

Good luck with your decision.

5. mballai

mballai

I'll second the reload positive--those metal mags glide in like they are on ball bearings.

6. Fireant

Fireant

After the first mag of bullets I fired from an M&P my Glocks were for sale. I have some permenent scares from the slide bite of shooting a Glock. The beavertail on the smith rocks. The reloads are super slick and I raised my production percentage almost 10 percent when I made the switch. I have not had any problems with mine, but only time will tell.

7. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Shot the SC match last weekend with my M&P and one club match so far.. Observations.. gun works..

The M&P points more like the 1911 frame and with the small back strap fits my hand very nicley. Reloads are not bad, i just need more practice with them.. FO on front standard sight on back.. may change back sight soon.. just cause, not because it needs it.

Mags are much more tempermental then glock mags concerning dust and dirt.. but they are easy to clean. Also much more expensive then Glock mags.

Trigger pull is about the same or a little better then my glock 35 and 23.. I did it myself, took about 20 mins..

Handles nice and points nice, shooting 147gr ball over 3.3 of TG at 1.145 made 127 pf at match over chrono... :)

Accuarcy is eh ok.. on par with the glocks. It's not a les Bear with 2" groups at 50yds..

I'm still not comfortable with my mag pouches either, used my 773's for the safari land rig and not thrilled with that, then tried the standard Uncle Mikes doubles, first mag sits in mag holder just right, second one either loose or tighter then crap.. not thrilled with that either.. so looking still possibly for a replacement.

I have no complaints so far.. not with the gun anyway, with the shooter yeah a few ;)

Jeff.

8. fueddy

fueddy

the shop i work at has sold a decent number since they came out...but....we have also had to send about 4 back to smith because of problems with putting the gun back together.

9. pstmstr

pstmstr

I switched from a Glock 34 to M&P 9mm and like it just fine. Mine is very reliable, accurate, and points better for me. The mags do need cleaned more often, especially when dropped in the dirt we have at our range.

10. srrch

srrch

Hello,

I swithed from a G-17 to a M&P 9mm. I shoot IDPA SSP. I have to tell you that the M&P outclasses the Glock in several areas. IMO they are as follows:

Trigger:
    The M&P trigger is far superior to the Glock trigger. The take-up and reset are much shorter. The trigger pull is quite a bit smoother as well. I had a trigger job done on the Smith, and it is 50% better than before. It is still not a 1911 trigger, but it is really really nice.

Recoil / return of front sight:
    Using the same loads. The M&P seems to have less muzzle flip than the G-17. For me, the front sight on the M&P seems to return quicker than G-17. This could caused in part by that the Smith is slightly heavier than the Glock, and that the Smith has an internal steel frame.

Magazines:
    The Smith magazines are metal, and they release and load more quickly than the Glock. I had to always wipe my Glock mags with Armor All to make them release quickly.

Grip
    I like the grip better on the Smith for the following reasons:
    1. Interchangable grips
    2. Beaver tail on the Smith allows me to really hunch up on the grip.
    3. Some say that it points better. Personally I just think that it points different. With practice, both will point the way you want them to.

Reliability:
    Well, it is hard to beat Glocks reliability. But I have a few thousand rounds through the Smith, and I have not had a hickup yet. It has been flawless in matches so far.

I hope this helps

11. tire iron

tire iron

I too am very impressed with the M&P line-up.

I have been shooting Glock's for almost twenty years. I own more than a few.

I shot 6 different M&P's over the last few months - and finally bought my first M&P last month. I bought another one a few weeks later.

I know this is very subjective - but the M&P points much more naturally for me than my Glocks do.

I already "outshoot" my Glocks - faster splits, faster 1st shot. The margin isn't big - but it is measurable.

I don't have a good holster for the M&P yet - so I set the M&P down on the bench and pick it up at the beep and fire two shots at a pie plate at 25 feet. I did the same with my Glocks - and I performed this test 25 times per handgun. The difference in time is noticed after totaling up the all the times.

My first shot and splits with the M&P were slightly faster than I was with the Glocks.

The M&P seems to have less muzzle flip than my Glocks - and the lower splits seem to offer some proof of that.

My M&P's are also slightly more accurate than my Glocks are too - but it could be the loads - we all know different ammo brand/weights can effect that. However - with my carry load (Win Ranger RA40T) and my practice load I can get slightly smaller groups with the M&P handgun.

As mentioned above by others - mag changes are totally UN-Glock-like. The mags seem to shoot out - and in - to the magwell.

I just started shooting competition recently after a couple or three years of being unable to go matches cause of work demands - - and I am still using my Glocks - but only because I haven't settled on a good holster/mag carrier combo as of yet.

I have started carrying the M&P as a CCW piece in a CTAC holster - and it works very well in that role. So my Glocks no longer fill that role.

As soon as I settle on a good holster I will use my M&P's for competition shooting too - putting my Glocks in "reserve status".

I personally didn't like or need the beavertail - so I removed mine with a dremel tool and file.

Here is a picture of a stock M&P.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my M&P with the beavertail - notice that the web of my hand doesn't touch the beavertail.
    [​IMG]

Here is my M&P after I removed the beavertail.
    [​IMG]

Here it is in my hand.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron

Oh yeah - one more thing I really like about the M&P is dry fire practice - after pulling the trigger - it moves forward the whole distance. So I can practice more than one shot while dry firing! Of course the striker will only drop on the first pull only (one would have to pull the slide back just like on a Glock in order to drop the striker again) - but I don't care if I don't hear the striker drop on every pull - all I care about while dry firing is pulling the trigger straight to rear without moving the sights! My M&P's will allow me to do that without having to rack the slide!

12. mballai

mballai

I ran another session with my M&P last week. I have to agree with tire iron that the beavertail is not really necessary. My Glock trigger guards are reduced underneath so my hands can get a very high grip just below the slide. Haven't been nipped yet. The beavertail on the M&P prevents getting an equally high grip.

13. tire iron

tire iron

Note that the M&P Compact is sans beavertail. That's what I patterned my beavertail removal on for my full size M&P.

cheers

tire iron

14. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

What kind of competition do you shoot? Removal of the beavertail will probably disqualify you from IPSC Production division. Not sure about IDPA though.

15. tire iron

tire iron

I shoot ISPC and I may shoot IDPA too.

I cut the beavertail off of my "carry" M&P. I find it prints less than having that "shark fin" sticking up like it does. I have another M&P that I am leaving stock - cause I heard that cutting the beavertail off changes things for IPSC and IDPA. Stupid rule really - as it doesn't give ANY competitive advantage at all. Oh well - if one wants to shoot IPSC/IDPA - one must follow the rules - stupid or not!

cheers

tire iron

16. tire iron

tire iron

The local IDPA club died sometime last year - so I may or may not be shooting IDPA.

cheers

tire iron

crud - I thought I was editing my last post - and it won't let me delete this post......

17. RRPD1

RRPD1

Tire Iron made a good point about the dry fire aspect of the M&P being a plus.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Bladetech DOH or Stingray for a holster Tire Iron. The DOH works very nice for USPSA and the stingray attachment would work for IDPA.

I'm still looking for the right mag carriers - I haven't found any I like a lot. However, I got an email the other day from one of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit guys saying that they are using the Safariland 771's for the STI/SVI mags. Two of their production shooters are using the M&P's now and they say those pouches are working great for competition. I may have to try them and see.

18. tire iron

tire iron

RRPD1,

Thanks - I'll give the DOH a try.

You are right - the Safariland 771 does indeed work - my neighbor shoots a SVI and I just tried it with one of his. I had to adjust the tension just a tad - but it works like a charm!

Thanks for the tip!

cheers

tire iron

19. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I don't know if I count as informed or not.

Since bullet prices have went up and I have a stock-pile of 9mm bullets already, I am switching from shooting 40 in competitions to shooting 9mm.

I usually shoot a Glock 35 or G22.

I picked up an M&P in 9mm and shot some with it this spring. I Had one practice session of about 200 rounds and then 3 USPSA matches. I won the 3 matches and I think I turned in a 100% classifier with the M&P.

It shoots fine.

Trigger work is easy enough. The extended beavertail should be a plus for those that have an issue with the Glock beavertail. The ambi controls would be nice for the lefties. And grip swapping should appeal to some.

The gun fired off the Mag-tech primers that I was/am using...which have proven to be quite hard.

I traded the gun for a G34. I am happy to be back on the Glock. I won a Steel Challenge match this past weekend with the G34 (beating the Open guns too).

If the M&P proves to hold up, it should be a fine choice. S&W didn't screw up. I still like my Glocks though. :)

If I had to go with a different gun than the Glock, the M&P would be my next choice.

20. mr glock-fl

mr glock-fl

HI,
    Try the Blade Tec revolution--cheaper version of the sting ray but is made only for the M&P at this time( got one at the shot show and I am waiting for the glocks to be made).

I have had two M&P compact and full size but nothing but problems with the slide levers so I sent them back and they still did not work--took two gorillas to thumb them down.
    I fixed the compact and sold it( it kicks harder and is bigger then my beloved 26). The full size is going back for one more try, I like it for its dual silde levers but if they do not fix it its going to the gun show.
    I like the revolution its soffter then the sting ray which broke during a drill rolling on the ground to shoot under a vehicle.

Good Luck
    Mike :banana: :wavey: :thumbsup: