Smith and Wesson M&P issues

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 3000fps, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 3000fps

3000fps

I purchased a S&W M&P 45 a few weeks ago, the guy who sold it to me said the gun only had 100 rounds through it.

I get the pistol home, only to find out there is another registration form to another guy, so I'm the 3rd person that's had it but the gun is less than 9-10 months old. There isn't much wear to it, and it doesn't look like a lot of rounds have been put through it.

I get the pistol home and start dry firing it, feeling out the reset etc.

The trigger starts to not reset, did it once or twice then started doing it every single time.

I contacted S&W about 17 days ago, told them what happened and they sent me a shipping label for warranty repair services.

I've been wondering what's going on with the pistol, and just got a letter in the mail from S&W today.

They sent me a letter saying that the sear has been altered, and it will cost $70 to replace it. (which they're not covering anything of)

I was so freaking mad. Fuming right now.

I don't know much about the M&P, I never touched the sear and when I bought it the gun looked fine.

I'm glad that I didn't carry it and trust my life to it, but paying top dollar for a used gun and then having to pay $70 which puts it at almost the cost of a new gun REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice? How does someone "alter the sear"?????

2. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

The M&P series comes with kindof a strange trigger with a non-defined reset that many people just don't like. In an attempt to make the trigger more "glock-like" many folks install aftermarket sears and trigger kits. This is VERY common for m&p pistols. IMO you are lucky that S&W is offering you such a cheap repair. I'd go ahead let them restore it to all it's glory and count your blessings they have such a good warranty.

Search for "Apex Sear" on google.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

3. dakrat

dakrat

sounds like Billy bob gunsmith tried to do a trigger yob but failed. Inspect the gun thoroughly before purchasing. I hate to say it but you are out $70 more. good thing is, you will have lots of fun with it when you get it back :supergrin:

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

This is the sear, it can be "altered" in various ways depending on who altered it. Now since I dont have the gun in hand, I cant say with 100% certainty. The aftermarket part is about $35 to $40 and its drop in. You need to ask them how or if what they really mean is that there is an aftermarket sear or did someone file it down. You need more details, I'd call their customer service and ask for someone in their repair dept and get specifics, that way you can decide what to do next. But $70 is cheap to fix this issue. You should ask the breakdown of the charge, like $40 for the part and $30 for labor.

The one I replaced on my gun took less than 5 mins to replace.

[​IMG]

:50cal:

5. 3000fps

3000fps

I'm aware of that, but do you think someone would really sell me a gun with an Apex sear without letting me know? I thought they were in the neighborhood of $100.

I'm assuming he bubba'd it and tried to file it or smooth it.

6. 3000fps

3000fps

I will have to wait until Monday to call them and ask. Man this sucks :(

7. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Have you tried to contact the previous owner?

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

10. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

The most likely thing is that the sear had been altered, just as Smith said.

People who do these things without knowing what they are doing, sell them without saying a word about their mistakes.....it happens all the time. You have every right to be angry about this......but, there's not a lot you can do about it.

Pay Smith the $70, and be done with it.

ooc

I'd try that and see if he'll own up to knowing anything about the sear problem......but, I really doubt you'll get any satisfaction that way. For you to get any results, means he'll have to fess up to deceit, and it's a pretty rare person who would admit he tried to deceive you, and then give you money. For these people, it's much easier to deny any knowledge of the problem.

ooc

11. 3000fps

3000fps

I guess I should have known better huh.

[​IMG]

He sent me that pic when he sold me the gun saying there was minor scratched. Probably from bubba'ing it up in the vice.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Whatever you do, do not take this to a local gunsmith, they normally charge like $60 just to look at it and the "retail" cost of the part. Again $70 bucks, it sucks but it could've been worse. Hopefully it gets fixed and your gun runs smooth and it will be a gun you really like so it lessens the blow. After you get the gun back and if the only thing you dont like not is the trigger don't give up. Even though they are replacing the sear, the factory trigger job is for some and not for all. Many Many Many and did I mention Many people on the S&W site add the Apex Sear or the full kit and love the gun.

Good luck , hope it all works out :wavey:

13. 3000fps

3000fps

Thanks man, I suppose I will contact them Monday. I'll update this thread and with what they said was wrong with it.

14. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

The Apex Sear itself is only $35 to $40, the full kit is about $100, but yes someone would sell it with the sear and forgot/mis-remember because they tried to "improve" it and screwed it up. This has happened when some people tried to "polish" their parts in a Glock and "over do it" and go to far, take off too much material and just F--k it up. If done right it feels good but when not things go wrong................................

15. carloglock19

carloglock19

Thats bad news sorry to hear that it sounds like Bubba got a hold of it prior to you purchasing it.

16. 3000fps

3000fps

Here is a video I took prior to sending it back to S&W

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

IMO the lesson learned here is that if you are going to buy a used gun, buy a Smith & Wesson. That is a helluva service IMO.

18. High Altitude

High Altitude

You always take a risk buying used if you can not identify if something is wrong with the firearm.

Pay the money, have S&W fix it. If it still doesn't work, most likely S&W will now take responsibility.

19. NIB

NIB

I would contact the seller and demand he refund $70 of the purchase price. It's not the pistol or S&W's fault. I got a feeling the guy knew what was wrong and just tried to unload it on you. You might as well just tell S&W to send it back and buy the APEX kit if you're going to pay that much for a sear. That is unless S&W then wants you to pay for shipping then I would just let them go ahead and fix it.

20. 3000fps

3000fps

One last thing, instead of paying Smith the $70 would I be better off buying an "Apex Hard Sear"?

I have a video from the American Gunsmithing Institute on complete disassembly.

I'm looking online and it's $40, is that the only thing that I need?