Smith and Wesson 3913 & 64NY1 report

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

It's been a little while since I hit the gun range, so off I went -with two stainless Smith and Wesson handguns.
    IMG_20170306_161959.jpg
    The 3913 is one of the very best of the third generation Smith autos, an alloy framed TDA 9mm single stack. Barrel is about 3.25", weight is just under 25oz and it's an eight shooter plus one in the chamber. Novak low mount sights.
    The K frame .38sp is the NY1 version of the model 64, meaning bobbed hammer and DAO trigger per NYPD's specification. Fixed sights, heavy barrel and six shots. Very smooth trigger and damned if it isn't about 10lbs.
    Ammo was the usual bullseye approved Black Hills wadcutter in the revolver, Ultramax 115gr jhp's in the 3913...Bullets looked like xtps.
    IMG_20170306_165335.jpg
    Shooting was two handed offhand at local bullseye range, distance was 25yards. Despite being smaller and lighter with a shorter barrel, the 3913 managed to keep 50 into just over 6". No issues with function, this gun lives up to the reputation of ' feeding anything ' associated with 3rd generation S&W pistols. Sight radius was nearly identical to the 4" 64's.
    I used the decocker every five shots, tugged a couple under the black, holding dead center....That's about where it shoots.
    IMG_20170306_163743.jpg
    The NY1 did about it's usual...Which is what I consider amazing for a retired police six shooter, and I did it relatively easily with a steady pace just over the range mandated ' no faster than 1 every 2 sec'. The bunny fart wadcutters help of course with minimal muzzle lift, but the gun acts like it was a PPC ace in a previous life....The front sight just drops right back into the notch just as you're finish staging the next pull, kerchunk.
    50 into just over 5", double action. I love shooting this gun.
    IMG_20170306_163648.jpg
    No jams on this one either. :supergrin:

Maine, smith10, Bullman and 9 others like this.
  2. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Both are very fine pieces of artwork! Both are great guns. Love the Tyler T Grip on the 64. Very nice Berto!

Berto likes this.

3. wnr700

wnr700

Makes me miss my 64

Berto likes this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

A great report on two classy handguns, Berto :cool:

Berto likes this.
  5. MajorD

MajorD

I always enjoy your reports as you actually know how to shoot! And smith K frames are my favorite shooters

First shot and Berto like this.
  6. Peak Fudd

Peak Fudd Amateur geezer

Great review and photos of two wonderful handguns. Thanks for posting.

Berto likes this.
  7. steve1911

steve1911

Great handguns Berto.

1911club#410

Berto likes this.
  8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You should probably sell that NY-1 to someone who lives in NY :)

Berto likes this.
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

If I get a NY2, I'll sell you that one.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Berto, the 3913 has a 3.5" barrel. (Actually, the same slides & 3.5" barrels were used on the 69XX guns as on the 3913's, allowing for matching production and design revisions, such as barrel tab width changes, etc.)

I have a 3913 that was late '98 production, which I ordered directly from the factory as an armorer back then (delivered to a distributor FFL, of course), and it's always been a favorite 9mm of mine. I picked up a late production (mid 2000's) 3913TSW in recent years when I had the opportunity to buy an issued duty weapon that was being replaced because we changed to new plastic guns. I'd previously hand selected that 3913TSW NIB, from the few remaining unissued ones in our inventory. Like our other TSW's, it had been ordered with night sights.

I've always felt that the 3913 (and variants) were probably the best 9mm defensive pistols ever produced by the company, but that makes sense when you consider the impetus was the ASP. The only small 9mm I own which I like as much is ... my CS9.

My pair of G26's and my SW999c are fine, but they're just ... smallish plastic pistols. Perfectly fine for their intended roles, and certainly good quality guns that are decently accurate and reliable ... but the little single stack, aluminum-framed TDA S&W 9's have a certain elegance to them that plastic lacks. ;)

Nice report. :)

125K9 and Berto like this.
  11. ede

ede

Nice Berto, I have neither and both are on my want list.

Berto likes this.
  12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Very nice. These are from when guns had some class. :cool:

Berto likes this.
  13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One of these days I'll find me a 3913.

Berto likes this.
  14. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I like those old S&w autos. I owned a 39 and a 59 and they both worked well.

Berto likes this.
  15. First shot

First shot

The S&W K Frames, IMO, are simply the most perfect looking and shooting revolvers. The size/balance of steel to grip is beautiful. Both great handguns and you obviously shoot them VERY well. Doesn't surprise me. I've been here long enough to start figuring things out. Excellent.

Berto likes this.
  16. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Great report, nice guns, great shooting! The usual for you, sir.

Berto likes this.
  17. Basta84

Basta84

Very Cool. I miss my 3913, but got a good trade from a friend for a 6" Python. Nice Berto

Berto likes this.
  18. Wyoming

Wyoming

Always like Berto Reports.

I may have to pay you a visit. We have had a all time snow record here. We have three free gun ranges here but but don't want to do mud. Have a few new Gun Broker items to test. Did several trigger job on revolvers to test also.

Could ship everything to you and read Berto Report.:supergrin:

smith10 and Berto like this.
  19. Dom Pastore

Dom Pastore dpast32

Hello Guys, I too picked up an 'NY-1' "type" Model 64(-5) many years ago, & it's really one of my all time 'gun fighting' handguns ! ( I say NY-1 type, because it's not marked the same as an official NY-1, but has ALL the features of one except for the laser engraved serial # mkgs. IIRC, it's a Brink's contract overrun. ) I found it one day just sitting on a dealer's self back around 1990, & at the time was trying to persuade my Dept to upgrade our standard M-64's ( SA / DA ) to the newly introduced Round Butt, DAO w/ 4" HB for our basic issue. ( .38 SPL.+P ) I bought mine as kind of a sample / example. Unfortunately for me however, we ended up going over to 9mm SIG P.226's, then a few years later to .40 caliber P.226's. The DAO Rd Butt 64 was mine though, & I liked it soooooo much that even today remains my full time house gun. I load it up depending on the season, with either Speer 135 GDHP+P in the warmer months, then Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC-HP+P for the colder months. I just feel so confident when it's in my hands, that even in the day of the semi-auto pistol, I don't feel undergunned with my old 6 shot revolver. OK Guys, that's my .02 cents worth.

Best, dpast32

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Berto likes this.
  20. Redhawk45

Redhawk45

Glad to see you aren't shooting at 7 yards and bragging on the accuracy of your pistols.

Berto likes this.