close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smart Meters. Intrusion or Tin Foil hat?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G19Tony, Oct 22, 2011.

1. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

2. HiddenEyes

HiddenEyes It can be done

They have been in awhile around here. I'm working towards using barely any electric from the grid anyway, so I don't really have a problem with them. My meter has been listed as a seasonal use cabin for decades, even though a house was built here almost twenty years ago.

Mr. HE:cool:

3. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

We sell components for smart meters in China. I did the layout work on them. You can call it an intrusion if you want, but the point of it is to give you incentive to spend your money efficiently while also reducing the incentive for your utility to build excess capacity which your government requires you to pay for.

One of our engineers in from New Zealand. He says that household water heaters there have been centrally controlled for many years and he's unaware of any civil dissatisfaction with that.

4. HiddenEyes

I'm very dissatisfied to hear that they would cede so much freedom for no good reason.

5. mj9mm

mj9mm

INTRUSION! no other way to view it, the sheep are sleeping.:crying:

6. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I'm not worried. Judging by my wife's shopping habits, everything in our house runs on batteries anyway.

7. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

:whistling:

8. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

The Chinese or the Kiwis?

9. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Why would a smart meter be more of a privacy invasion than a meter reader letting themselves into your backyard without prior notice to read the meter manually?

10. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Some smart meters only transmit total usage for billing purposes.
    The newer HAL 9000 SkyNet meters transmit a constant usage record.
    As the guy in the video said, they know when you're home or gone or on vacation. If you are asleep or awake. If you have anything set on timers, etc.

It can be construed as a surveillance device.

11. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

The next step is Control of your meter.

"Sorry sir but you have used your allotted amount of Kilowatts today. Your meter will resume passing power tomorrow. I strongly suggest you use your government authorized allotment more efficiently in the future."

12. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

oh.

:tinfoil:

13. NickC50310

NickC50310

Last summer my central AC was on its way out. At nearly 50 years old- I think it lived a good life. The last 2 months or so that I used it the fan wouldnt kick on unless I manually went outside and gave it a quick push. Knowing that I didnt want it go quit when I wasnt home or something, I set my thermostat so low that it would never turn off (AC couldnt keep up anyway). I didnt think it would use THAT much power! LMAO! My power bill was over $400- it quadrupled! Im surprised I didnt have someone beating down my door thinking I was growing reefer or something! :ROFL:

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

I must have missed the part of the Constitution that talks about hot water heaters.

I think it's stupid as well, but the fact is that it goes both ways. We expect the government to provide running water and electricity, but then also expect total freedom regarding its use. You can't have it both ways.

Anyone who doesn't want to allow the government this sort of intrusion in their lives is free to live off the grid.

15. HiddenEyes

How is that even an arguement one way or the other?

I don't expect the government to provide anything and I've never lived anywhere that any utility services were provided by the government except sewer, which was sent to non-government plants for treatment.

This is government getting into an area they are not needed and have no business being. That is a direct constitutional issue.

16. Adams454

Adams454

Blah.. Blah.. Blah.. Blah..

You lost all credibility when you used the term "Hot water heater". The appliance in question is a water heater. Nobody heats their hot water (for showers and such), it's already hot.

:tongueout:

17. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

tin foil is a great tool to kill smarts

18. Adams454

Adams454

Does it prevent the smarts from getting in, or out? Or does it isolate them completely and kill the smarts remaining on the inside?

19. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

He may be talking about load control. It's a program many utilities have to control certain devices of your choosing to be shut off remotely in times of potential black outs. I believe you can choose to have your a/c, water heater, and/or pool pump on the prgram. You get a credit on your bill each month depending on how many of those appliances you have chosen. It's quite rare for them ever to activate load control in Florida, and you get a credit on your bill regardless.

To the op, lets not forget about how many jobs will be lost due to this. The layoffs will greatly outweigh the new jobs created by the implementation of this technology.

No more people manning tolls. No more meter readers. Less warehouse workers in USPS... Not good...

20. l0_0l

l0_0l beat that beat

ummmmm, yeah... why not? or is that just some cute little quip you thought spewing?