close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

smart carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bear_1, Mar 13, 2010.

1. bear_1

bear_1

good afternoon i have a question about the smart carry i am 6' 4" 295lbs would i be able to wear a smart carry rig any big guys out there that can help? "Da Bear":help:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. Defender77

Defender77

I'm nowhere near your size but I have used a smartcarry and it seems from what other people have said that pretty much anyone, in any size can use them comfortably.

I am not sure about your waist size though, but the smartcarry works better if it is secured very low. You will also need to be able to draw by shoving your hand down the front of your pants, and behind your belt, in order to get the gun out.

3. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

They can make it to any size you need. I just bought one and will be returning mine though. I too am nowhere near your size but i tried to get it to sit comfortably on me and i couldnt. Its a good system them and i wish i could have made it work for me.

4. bear_1

bear_1

5. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

what pistol are you planning on carrying?

short annswer to your question is yes.

if you can get your thumb of your non shooting hand inside your waistband enough to get your shootin' hand in your pants then it will probably work fine.

6. bigeagle57

bigeagle57

Im a bigger guy. 6'2" 230. I vary rarely use the smart carry in the way it was designed to be used. It just feels too uncomfortable when i bend over or sit down. I slid the holster around to about 3:30-4 oclock and use it like an IWB. I dont like it as well as my Mtac but when I wear sweat pants or gym shorts it works just fine.

7. 1canvas

1canvas

i had been thinking of getting one but a video on you tube with a guy pulling a trigger on a gun in the holster while wearing it gives me pause.

8. ChipM

ChipM

Can you link this video? Are you sure it was SmartCarry? That was a concern of mine until I actually tried it. I was unable to pull the trigger on my carry pistol while in the smartcarry no matter how I tried. I carry with confidence.

EDIT: I think I found the video. He says it is a SmartCarry but you never actually see it. Either way, I tried and it can't be done with my particular pistol.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

Can you reach inside your pants and scratch your nuts? If yes then the holster will work for you.

10. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

I saw that video and you have to really try in order to pull the trigger. Unless you mistake your trigger for something else down there, you will be fine. Its worked for some many people that the trigger issue isnt really an issue at all.

11. sdglock22

sdglock22

I'm 6ft about 215 and I have the smart carry, since getting my MTAC tho I don't use it enough to be comfortable with it. Might try using it at the 4:30 like mentioned above and see how it works. Overall it is a great holster tho and it's nice to have as a back up. I do use it around the house if I'm lounging in a bathrobe works great.

12. 1canvas

1canvas

the video is on you tube, just punch smart carry it will come up. yes you have to work at it [to fire it] but it can be done. something you can't say for most holsters. is that a deal killer? no not for me, i will probably be buying one shortly.

13. 1canvas

1canvas

yes, i was a little suspicious when it wasn't actually shown.
    i believe your post and will have confidence in my purchase.

14. akgunnut

akgunnut

I am 5'9" 195 lbs and I can conceal a G19 in a Smart Carry rig pretty well. The key is to wear it as low as possible usually 2-4" below your waist. It is by far the most comfortable deep concealment holster I have used so far.

15. bear_1

bear_1

thank you, if any one has pics please post thanks again

16. 4runner freak

4runner freak

X2. I tried for quite a while to get my Glock to "fire" in my smartcarry. Never happened. And if I couldn't get it to "fire" when I'm trying, there is no way it would ever happen on accident.

I have been wearing a SC at 3:00 for about a year and it works great no matter what you are wearing. It is wearing out a lot quicker then I'd like though.

Do you want to sell it? What size is it? You?

17. 1canvas

1canvas

i have heard that they wear out quickly on other posts also. don't know what part is wearing out but if i buy one and have a problem i will rebuild it out of materials that won't wear out.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

What gun?

19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I am 6 ft and 250 and I don't see how anyone of large buld can use that holster because there would be no room for your "package". :wavey:

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

OK, that makes sense to a point.

Let me ask the question, if I can sit with my gun next to my other guns (man gear and gun in underwear), would this holster be an issue?