smallmouth baits

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by el_jewapo, May 7, 2005.

1. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

i'm going smallmouth bass fishing this week, and i won't have a whole lot of time to experiment with different things. i'm trying to get some stuff together that will be productive.

i will be fishing in a pretty good size creek. pretty clear water, not crystal but 2 or 3 feet clarity if memory serves me correctly.

i mainly largemouth fish, so i don't know for sure what the most productive baits are for smallmouth.

so far i've packed some small and medium sized crank baits mostly crawfish color, 1/8th and 1/4th ounce jigs both brown and black and blue. pork trailers and plastic crawfish.and some small spinner baits and top waters. i'll pick up some gitzits before i go. what are the best colors for those?

any suggestions from you smallmouth fishermen will be greatly appreciated.

2. PieceBwithU

PieceBwithU

3. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

live? or anything that imitates one? i assume live would work better.

4. Mattkc

Mattkc

Smaller tubes and plastic grubs 3-4". I use 4-6 pound test line but I must warn you if you catch a few smallies you my never go back to largemouth. In rivers work eddies you will catch more fish if you wade up stream. If you are floating get out of the canoe before you find a good spot like a pool at the end of a riffle. The smallies will be working the current edge where the fast water flows into the pool. This early fish are probably feeding on minnows and not crawdads. Rapala's 2"-4" work good small spinner baits are good to. Good luck Mattkcc

5. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

-Black and yellow Roostertails
    -1/8-1/4 oz spinnerbaits,I like white or white/chartreuse with painted blades.
    -1/8 to 1/4oz jigs like bitsy bugs or arkie bucktail jigs in orange and brown.
    -small white poppers
    -Jig head rigged Tubes (2-3") in White or Rootbeer.
    Oh yeah....use 6 or 8lb test

6. joker1

joker1

Broken back Rapalas, chartreuse jigs with matching twister-tails and the ultimate in fun...... yellow Sneaky Petes on a light weight fly rod!!!!!!^c

7. Rancher

Rancher

Our last farm had a premier small mouth river running through it. We also had an old highway that was deeded over to us that went down to the river and the only folks I would let use the place other than family were canoe/kayak rental services and a fishing guide service. In return the canoe/kayak rental places gave us free canoes and kayaks plus they would ferry us around including guests we had down visiting. The river fishing guide had been fishing the same river (Kings River in Arkansas) for over 40 years and he supplied me with lures as well as guided fishing trips in return for the use of our property to get river access.

His favorite bait that he almost ALWAYS used were the tube type worms that were about 3-4 inches long and coated in salt. The only colors he used were green and brown, both of the colors had some black mixed in. He used a weedless hook that was weighted at the end. I always had great luck using the things. Some of my best luck came just throwing the bait into some fast moving water that would then dump into a pool below it. I'd catch the smallies sometimes in the current and other times they would hit just when the lure exited the fast water into the pool. I'd just let the lure drift down on the bottom.

One of the best all round lures I use are called Helgamites. I've never seen them in stores but the guide I mentioned contacted Rapala and got me like 30 of them for nothing. They work on everything from trout to googleye. I've still got a bunch in their box never used.

Have a great trip.

Rancher

8. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

i'm back from my trip. i caught a few smallies. one good size one, close to two pounds. that's the biggest smallie i've ever caught. i caught them all on a brown jig with a plastic craw. i caught a nice kentucky bass too. nice change from largemouth.