smallest 2 m mobile or dual band mobile

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AWMP, Aug 27, 2005.

1. AWMP

AWMP

My wife has a Mazda rx-8 and there is no room, so looking for a good small 2m or dual band mobile for her car. Ideas? Antenna? Thanks
    AW

2. TaxCop

TaxCop

The smallest dual band radio I have found is the now discontinued Yaesu FT-90. It has a very small remote head that will fit even the smallest places. Current small dual band radios are the Icom IC-208H or Yaesu FT-7800. Both have remote mount heads that fit in small places. The 208 comes with a remote kit and you can easily make a remote cable for the 7800. Some good super sick velcro will make mounting easy. I have also used some modified radar detector mounts to assist in mounting the remote heads.

I had the FT-90 and it was a good radio...kinda regret selling it now. I currently have a Icom 207 and 208, and both are very good radios.

As far as antennas, I would look at a glass mount antenna. Radio Shack used to make a pretty good one and I believe it is the same one now being offered by MFJ. They have been very good performers for me on several different vehicles over the years.

With these combos, I have been able to do installs with no holes drilled in the car, which makes significant others happy. Hope this helps.

3. martho

martho

are you willing to remote mount the head on the dash somewhere?

If so, there are many options. IC-2720 is about the best of the true dual band mobiles.

4. P.BRAMLETT

P.BRAMLETT