close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small time competition, which Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Toyman, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Toyman

Toyman

I'm looking at getting into the local clubs competition shooting. Plates and Tactical. Nothing really big, just a couple of the local clubs competing.

I have a G23 (compact .40s&w) for a carry gun, can shoot 2 inch groups rather well and somewhat fast at 10 yrds.

I'm looking at getting a glock 9mm for competition. Is the G34 a good starting point?

Also, with the plates we have to shoot lead, what's a good aftermarket barrel for shooting lead?

I've been doing a bit of reading, but would like ANY input you guys can give.

Thanks

2. Dump1567

Dump1567

G-34, new sights(Hienie or Dawson adj.), KKM drop in barrel, bade-tech holster and mag pouches and you ready to go.

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

the 34 is a great gun for steal. Get a Barsto barrel they are the best and stand behind the product.

4. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Both above posts are good advice.

Here are a couple of ideas.

- Shoot what you carry.
    - If your going to get a bbl anyway just get a 9x19 bbl for your 23 if you are wanting to go to 9x19.

Just a diff view point.

sb

5. Toyman

Toyman

I had thought about that, but the G23 is a bit short for that. I don't want a compensator and some other competition stuff on my carry gun. I still plan to shoot a lot of rounds through my carry gun.

Thanks a lot for all the advice!

6. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I shoot a down loaded G23 in competition (PF 130) and wouldn't want to go to a G34/35. I find the G23 easy to handle and very accurate with a KKM barrel.

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Either a G34 or a G17 would make a fine choice for competition. I would suggest replacing the sights with the Dawson Precision Glock sights http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ads/glockrearadjsight.aspx and getting a trigger job from Gunner5, NHO or CGR. IMHO, that changing the barrel is a waste of money especially if you’re on a tight budget.

8. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Dump1567 has it about right if you are looking for a competition gun. I assume the plates will be set so 9mm will knock them down. Keep in mind that if they have to fall rather than just be hit bigger calibers may beat you if you have to shoot several in a row and then to a stop plate. A G35 might be an answer. You could download for non steel days.

Is this IDPA, IPSC or just a local shoot with no affilitation or equipment rules.

Odd that you HAVE to shoot lead. Why is that? Hope they are not plannng to shoot steel closer than 10 yards.

If you have to shoot lead, I would definitely get an aftermarket barrel. I know a guy who has shot a lot of lead in 9mm with no problems, but he a real clean nut. For a G34 a KKM is running $165 from Lone Wolf and $265 from Bar-Sto. I have a G34 KKM on order as Bar-Sto hit the wall with me on price. I have a Bar-Sto for a .40 Glock and it's a nice barrel, but $265 is a bit much.

For sights I like Heinie for the rear and Dawson optic for the front. I'm leary of the Dawson adjustable until it has some significant history. Also the front is pretty tall and may create holster issues.

CGR is doing testing now on the Dawson sight. Also, they have a race cut version of the Heinie's.

9. Toyman

Toyman

I think it has no affiliation or equipment rules other than 2 mags and a holster, I'll know more tommorrow when I go to watch and talk with them.

It's 10 yds and out, I think you can shoot lead and jacketed, but not FMJ at the plates. Again, I'll be getting more info tomm.

Cost is not an issue. Also, I want to get another gun for several reasons, including that my son wants to shoot as well.

10. ipscshooter

Sounds like it might be IDPA with the 2 mag thing. That is one of the rules. Actually it's two spares. You can have four total. One in the gun, one in your back pocket to charge the chamber before you start and two spares.

Jacketed, FMJ???...

I assume you know that the 34/35 comes with and extended mag release, 3.5# connector and extended slide release. So you really don't need to do anything to the gun to compete. Although, I hate the sights they are useable until they break.

The advantage of the 34 over the 17 is, it already has the competition friendly enhancements above, and it has a longer barrel for an increased sight radius. If you reload some would say that you can download a smidge to get the same velocity to meet the power factor floor.

You should have fun with your son, until he starts beating you. :)

11. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

If the steel wasn't at least 10 yds away I'd go home. I shot one 3wks ago that felt like lead rain and all were 10 or better.

The sights on my G23--MMC all black rear filed wider, Dawson Precision fiber optic front that's for a Novak rear. Nice low sights.

The wings on the MMC draw your eys to the notch. Makes for quick ft sight pick up.

The MMC is as close to a adj combat sight as I've seen.

Have a good time at the match. I'm shooting a IDPA match on 14 JUN, steel on 21 JUN and USPSA on 28 Jun.

12. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Toyman, ditto on all of the above excellent posts. My 2c, shoot your G23 for a couple of matches. After that you'll usually have a better idea of what you need. I started with my G19 in IPSC Production. Several months later I now feel I need a G17 only for the sole reason of having the 3 extra rounds. ;)

13. ipscshooter

mc_oliver,
    Good thought. See what you really need before you buy.

Toyman,
    They may not want you to shoot jacketed, because the plates aren't in the best shape. This can cause bullets & jackets to spatter. I was Range Oficcer once and a guy was shooting 38 super in Open class. In the middle of his run I got a burning sensation in theback of my left hand. A piece of jacket was sticking in it.

An alternative for you is plated bullets. You should be able to shoot those if you can shoot lead. Much nicer to work with and you are probably ok with the stock barrel in the 9mm. For the .40 I would go for the after market barrel becuse of the case bulge you can get with the factory barrel. I don't believe you get that with the 9mm. I'm sure some one on the board can answer that. I'm gonna check some I shot yesterday and will let you know about the buldge with 9mm.

14. ipscshooter

Just checked some 9mm I shot yesterday in a stock Glock barrel. No bulge.

15. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

As a new shooter your're bone stock 23 is absolutely sufficient to get you through your first year (if not your're first decade) of either IDPA or USPSA competetion. Technically other glock models are "more competetive" but until you've got a dozen matches under your belt and have been classified, the differences are not enough to matter.

It really is the shooter not the gun. I was shooting with a master class shooter. Got to the match and found he had left his fancy race gun in the safe. He bummed some extra mags and some 45 ammo for his officer model carry gun and won the match with it.

If you've got $500 bucks burning a hole in your pocket that you must spend you'd be MUCH better off spending in on reloading equipment (dillon) and an after market barrel (for safety) and/or training. After you've gone through your first 5k carton of primers you wont have to ask which glock for competetion cause you'll know.

16. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

dont worry too much about the longer sight radius stuff

my 19 was very accurate - moreso than my 17

check out the top gssf scores

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85470

the top subcompact score is higher than the top amateur (g17) score, and within a hair of the top competition (g34) score

the shorter guns are accurate enough

and a lot quicker out of the holster

i really liked that 19..... been thinking about buying it back

stick with your 23..... and take the money you would have chunked into a new gun to buy more ammo