close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small SUVs with 3rd Row Seating?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by metrogruntual, Mar 19, 2010.

1. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

Is the RAV4 the only one?

I've been looking at new base models of the Honda Element, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Tuscon and Kia Sportage.

Any thoughts BETWEEN them?

2. IA Glocker

IA Glocker

Perhaps a Toyota Land Cruiser? We have a Suburban, so almost anything other than a Ford Excursion seems small.

Land Cruisers are tough (from what I've heard from others who own them)

3. jkalantzis

jkalantzis

I used to have a Suburban but couldn't handle the gas. I bought my wife a Mazda cx-9 which is a small SUV with three rows.

4. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry Millennium Member

A few do.

The Ford Explorer, while no longer smallish, has a third seat.

5. dac1204

dac1204

We just got a good deal on a 2005 ford explorer with 68000 miles fully loaded with a sun roof. It has the 3rd row and can seat 7 people with room in the back.

After having it for about the last 6 months I now know why we got such a good deal on it. The gas milage sucks. We get around 19 on the highway and around 15 in the city. It cost a small fourtune to fill up all the time. It has come in handy more then one time though when you have 6 people and you dont have to take seperate cars.

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

I'm tellin' ya.

It feels like a car, zipping around town. The sliding doors were awesome with the kids; no worries about dinging other cars. Over 25 MPG. Captains chairs kept the kids away from each other. With the rear bench folded down, it had a huge cargo area. Even with the bench active, still room for a gym bag or three paper bags of groceries.

The Grand Touring model has HIDs, heated leather, BlueTooth, and all the bells and whistles for about $24,000.

The front wheel drive would do fine in most snow. Unless one wanted to try to go off road or try deep snow in a little SUV, I can't see much of a use for small SUVs (over crossovers or small FWD minivans).

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I agree with this.

Don't own a minivan but had one as a company vehicle at one point. They're damn useful and convenient.

10. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

The new Kia SUV has 3rd row seating.

11. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

The Mazda 5 is a ridiculous value in the modern car market, and a GREAT solution for a family that doesn't need a full-on minivan, or as a second vehicle for a family that already has a minivan.

The big thing with the smaller 3-row vehicles is that the 3rd row just isn't fit for full-sized people, or even taller teens. It's really space for kids who are big enough to be out of car booster seats, but aren't yet over 5'. ALSO, there's not enough cargo space to hold a bag of groceries when the third row is up.

I had a Dodge Durango for many years, and it's really a larger mid-sized SUV - smaller than a Tahoe, bigger than a Ford Explorer. Even in that sized vehicle, the 3rd row was small for adults, and there was barely room for two carry-on suitcases with the 3rd row up. Scale that same arrangement into a compact SUV... and there's nothing left.

I'm now driving a Mazda CX-7 crossover, with seating for 5, and there's about 4 days a year when I really wish I had the third row. But most of the time, seating for 5 and decent cargo space works out well.

Of course, my wife drives a Honda Odyssey, with seating for 8 and a fold-down rear seat, so we've got that covered.

Good luck!

12. PBCounty

PBCounty

None of those are S.U.V.'s....those are tall cars. FWD, plastic bumpers and lack of chassis disqualifies a vehicle as an S.U.V.

13. PBCounty

PBCounty

S.U.V.:

[​IMG]

NOT an S.U.V.:

[​IMG]

14. Glockphobia

Glockphobia NOT!

ive got an 01 dodge 4wd slt durango with a third seat

15. OUSooner

OUSooner

This! If you haven't checked out the new Sorrento you should. It's now made in the USA and is a very nice vehicle. Comes with a standard 5 year 60,000 mile bumer to bumper and 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

16. JMS

JMS 02

Depending on your budget you can always look at a 2007 and older Toyota Highlander/Highlander Hybrid.

17. bubbatime

bubbatime Jive Turkey!!

I looked at a 2010 Toyota Highlander the other day. It has a 3rd row that folds down into the floor when not needed. They are 0% APR for 60 months till the end of March.

18. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

i'm trying to stay small (current driving 3Dr Yaris) b/c we're likely relocating to europe or hawaii both places with notoriously narrow parking spaces.

19. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

+1, I bought a new Rav4 last week and considered getting the 3rd row seat until I got a chance to actually look at it. Never mind.

I really love my new Rav4. V6, 4x4. Got it for about $24K with $0 down and 0% for 60 months. I really like the under floor storage in the back too. Having the spare tire hanging off the back door really opens up a lot of invisible storage for SHTF type stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Z71bill

Z71bill

The 2011 Sorrento & 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe are basically the same vehicle -

The 3RD row seat is an option on the Santa Fe - I think standard on the Sorrento.

My wife bought an AWD 2010 Santa Fe with the V6

We looked at the Rav4, CR-V, Equinox & a bunch more

The Santa Fe is a heck of a vehicle we have had it about a month and love the ride handling power -

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010