close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small Pistol Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robin303, Mar 2, 2010.

1. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

2. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Yes, but read the warning on the box. Do not use with 357 magnum, 357 Sig or 40S&W

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Unless you're going to buy a bunch of them try to find some local so you don't have to pay the hazmat fee.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

WOW you saved me some bucks If I can't use them for the 40 S&W. May I ask why. :dunno:

5. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

'Cos it says on the box! Other than that I don't really know. I am sure one of our experienced reloaders will chime in.
    I must add I loaded a 1000 of them in .40S&W for use in my Glock 22 before someone pointed out the warning.I had NO problems with them at all.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

:shocked: OK please do tell...

I don't use Remington primers... but do know via there website and some reloading manuals I have that 1.5 are small pistol and 5.5 are small pistol magnums....

Why wouldn't you be able to use Remington 1.5 small pistol primers in .40S&W and .357 SIG which by design take SPP in the first place? I don't load 357 Mag and if I did would use magnum primers so I would ask you about that, but the rest please elaborate.

7. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I've never heard that either.

8. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

In reading information from other sources, it seems the 1 1/2 primers are made from a relatively soft metal which (presumably) poses a risk of punctured primers with the three identified high pressure calibers. What I find interesting is that their warning does not also include the 9mm cartridge which is just as high a pressure.

I do not use Remington primers, only because I have been able to obtain plenty of WW, CCI and Wolf for my uses. I cannot comment one way or another whether there is any true validity to their warning. It may be just another case of their legal department justifying their own positions in a downtroden economy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. coal

coal

I've been fortunate running whatever primer I can get cheapest in light to mid loads in .357mag, 9mm and .45acp. Cheapest works for me... of course I'm nobody special really as a shooter or otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010