close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small issue with LWD 3.5 connector.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Boost_Junkie, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Boost_Junkie

Boost_Junkie Mike November

I did a search for this issue but didn't come up with anything helpful. I recently installed the LWD 3.5 connector on my G19 which was a lot easier than it looked. I carry chambered and every time I either put the weapon down or pick it up I do a physical/visual chamber check ( I know not really needed but it's a habit that I can't/won't break). I drop the mag and rack the slide an inch or two visually see that I still have a round in the pipe and keep doing whatever it is that I was doing. Before, with the OEM connector it would rack nice and smooth but with the LWD connector it has a bit more tension almost like it sticks before slide starts to move rearward. I haven't fired the weapon as of yet, is this something that has to worn in?

Manny

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The LWD connector will have no effect on the action of the slide.
    Saft to assume the Glock is clean and properly lubed?

3. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKMEISTER*

Have a look at the conectors "Tab" that protrudes from the frame when installed with an eye loupe, It's possible there's a burr or it's slightly out of round or not smooth..
    Did you lube the tab or the corosponding area on the slide..
    I have the LWD 3.5 - connector in my G19 & it's working just great..
    Let us Know

4. Boost_Junkie

Boost_Junkie Mike November

Every Sunday during football.

I'll have to take a look at it, I must have installed/uninstalled the connector to ensure it was installed properly. Out of round may be a possibility because during a field strip when the slide is coming off it almost looks like the tab is making contact with the slide. I'll check and report though.

Manny

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. mteagle1

mteagle1

Put your inspection slide cover plate and you can see around the new connector. If you don't have one, go to http://www.glockparts.com a sponsor.

6. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

This most certainly does happen on all of the after market connectors (I've tested five and the LWD was one of them). The cause is the little tab (don't know what it is actually called) at the top of the connector which is visible as a small horizontal protrusion to the right of the cruciform as you look down on the rear of the gun. This little tab acts like a lifter in an engine. Remove your slide and turn it over, then look at the rear part where the tang from the striker is. You will notice a raised or cam-like section at the rear of the slide on the same side as the striker block.

The little tab on the connector rides on that cam-like piece of the slide. The shape and size of the tab on the connector plus the tension of the connector's steel is what is causing the initial resistance you are feeling. The connector which does this the least is the factory 3.5 connector (part #00135).

Just a little suggestion. Avoid doing what you're doing to check the state of your gun's condition. The Glock has a visual and felt loaded chamber indicator as part of the extractor and it is best to use that.

7. TeddyB

TeddyB

The top tang of the connector rides on the slide and is pushed inwards by the ramp on the slide for deactivation. Proper lubrication is required on the top tang on the connector to permit smooth operation. I have also found that aftermarket connectors are sometimes out of spec for over all length and this creates an inordinate amount friction riding the slide. The connector is also a spring of sorts and is pushed inwards and out of the way disengaging the trigger bar after cycling to prevent a second uncontrolled discharge. Glock specs say that the spring out setting from the trigger assembly should be around 10 thousands of an inch and can easily be measured with an inexpensive automotive feeler gauge.

The primary concern however should be the over all length and a simple comparison measurement with a set a calibers between the Glock Stock Connector and the After Market should be taken to assure correct tolerances and pistol operations.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. TeddyB

TeddyB

This is totally incorrect as the top of the connector is in constant contact with the slide at all times the pistol is in operation. There is a ramp cut into the top slide to activated the spring tension of the connector for trigger bar disengagement to prevent accidental repetitive operations. The click you hear on trigger reset is the trigger bar snapping back under the top lip of the connector reading it to be activated again.

http://www.sniperworld.com/content.aspx?ckey=sniper_world_glock_index

This should give you a proper understanding of Glock Pistol Operation. Simply move your mouse around on the part to see how it actually works.

Ted