Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Why so serious?
65,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Massachusetts ice cream shop closes one day after reopening amid coronavirus over patrons
harassing workers

The owner of a Massachusetts ice cream parlor closed its doors just one day after reopening amid the coronavirus pandemic in response to how angry customers mistreated a teenage employee.

Mark Lawrence, who for 19 years has operated Polar Cave Ice Cream Parlour in Mashpee, a small town on Cape Cod, waited to reopen his shop under the state’s restaurant guidelines until Mother’s Day weekend.

But Friday’s grand reopening turned into a harsh lesson for the small business, according to Lawrence, who told FOX25 Boston that customers frustrated with having to wait longer for their ice cream after the shop grew busy took their anger out on his staff.

“One of my best workers quit yesterday at the end of her shift,” he said. “But the words she was called and the language, you wouldn’t even say in a men’s locker room. And to say it to a 17-year-old kid, they should be ashamed of themselves.”

Under a new plan to keep customers and employees safe, Lawrence said he posted on the shop’s Facebook page that all orders must be placed one hour in advance. However, many patrons didn’t follow the new rules, according to Lawrence, and appeared to forget their manners after weeks of social distancing.

“People have forgotten how to treat other human beings in the six or seven weeks that they’ve been confined to their homes,” he told the station. “They have no clue how to respect other human beings.”

Lawrence said he will close the shop to the general public until he comes up with a new operating plan.

In the hours following Lawrence’s decision to close, he received hundreds of messages of support from the community.

“I was very impressed by how your staff stayed patient and kind,” one user wrote. “You guys were doing everything you could and I do not blame you for not reopening. Know there are plenty here that will support you and accept your service however we can get it.”

The parlor filled limited orders on Saturday, which Lawrence said “was a vastly improved operation” in an update on the shop’s Facebook page. He said patrons “followed the rules and it worked,” with orders being placed over an hour ahead of time, and some even a day prior.

“We will continue to tweak our efforts and eventually try again to open full speed ahead,” Lawrence wrote. “Thank you for the incredible outpouring of love and support from so many. It truly means so much to me at this time.”

Under Gov. Charlie Baker’s stay-at-home order, restaurants have been able to offer take-out services while dine-in services are temporarily barred to contain the spread of coronavirus.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachusetts-ice-cream-parlor-reopens-coronavirus-closes-rude-customers

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
What a bunch of ingrates. What the hell is wrong with people? They are surprised that places closed down for months are suddenly busy? If they don't like it then they can quietly leave but to abuse workers is beyond shameful and despicable behavior. Must be a bunch of republicans living in that area as everyone knows the tolerant and caring democrats would certainly never act like that.

·
NRA Life Member
29,350 Posts
Naples, FL shut down their beach after one day due to social distancing scoff-laws. The City Councilman that initiated the shutdown blamed out of towners ( due to the amount of " love bug " residue on their cars ).

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Bunch of massholes.

Basically the same thing happened in my old hometown at a bagel shop. They're going to just have to be Bagel and Ice Cream nazis.

"You rude to staff, no small cone for you!"

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
People are rude but the hour ahead rule being notified via Facebook was kind of dumb. Sure this would have passed had they not given up instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Yankees

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Sadly you are right. I’m a native Mainer but i will admit that i’ve met much friendlier folks in the south than i ever have in New England.

·
Registered
533 Posts
What a bunch of ingrates. What the hell is wrong with people? They are surprised that places closed down for months are suddenly busy? If they don't like it then they can quietly leave but to abuse workers is beyond shameful and despicable behavior. Must be a bunch of republicans living in that area as everyone knows the tolerant and caring democrats would certainly never act like that.
Blue state. 'Nuff said.

Why does every damn post turn into a political post?

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Naples, FL shut down their beach after one day due to social distancing scoff-laws. The City Councilman that initiated the shutdown blamed out of towners ( due to the amount of " love bug " residue on their cars ).
As anyone who’s ever driven through a love bug swarm knows, your car is completely covered in seconds. You can drive 1/4 mile and be unable to see through your windshield.

However, it’s a lot worse in central Florida than I’ve seen in southeast Florida. I have no idea what the Naples area is like.

·
NRA Life Member
3,159 Posts
What the ice cream guy should have done after the 2nd Masshole, was give the girl a pepperspray and permission to use it on the next mouthy patron.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
As anyone who’s ever driven through a love bug swarm knows, your car is completely covered in seconds. You can drive 1/4 mile and be unable to see through your windshield.

However, it’s a lot worse in central Florida than I’ve seen in southeast Florida. I have no idea what the Naples area is like.

Been there Done that, what a mess...now if we go on the Tpke or 75 I have wide clear tape to cover the front of the car...

·
Registered
11,258 Posts

One time we had to get off 75 and buy a scraper for the windshield, took days to get the bugs off the front, and you better get them off as they will eat into the paint.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
One time we had to get off 75 and buy a scraper for the windshield, took days to get the bugs off the front, and you better get them off as they will eat into the paint.
This was a few weeks ago before it’s started to get bad

·
Registered
583 Posts
Our house is light light blue, almost white, and the love-bugs love it. They are swarming the front porch.
While washing the vehicles Sunday, I blew the water off with a leaf blower, it sucked the love-bugs in the back and splattered them onto the freshly washed car!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts