close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

small game season is almost over for me

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jan 27, 2003.

1. noway

noway

Will this year season sucked for quail ( 0) & rabbits ( 1 ) and was great for doves ( 53 ). How was you're small game birds & 4 leg animals hunting been? I have a few more weeks to go in most areas so I'm going back out for Rabbit one more time. Quail I flat gave up on and Dove was pretty much wore me out.

The end of this year I'm doing Snipe and Coot/Moorehens to take up a new game to hunt. Both of these are readily available in the local area and the Snipes are very plentiful.

Anbody have any receipes for either one of them?

Also are the Coots/Moorehens oily like must ducks?

2. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

With a new house, boys scouts, and two in basketball, I have not have the time to kick up some rabbits and grouse.

Love to though.

Already discussed my turkey hunt this spring with the wife;)

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

2 weeks left for quail and i'm at 18. it's mostly my fault for not going as often as i would have liked. of course i would have liked to go every day, but that's another story :)

0 doves, just like last year. if anyone ever has dove problems just invite me over when they are in season. there won't be one for miles. out of season i can't help ya. AZ doves just don't like me.

2 cotontails. not as tastey as those back east so i think i may stop hunting them.

noway,

snipe sure is fun shooting. even more fun if you can actually hit the little buggers. one tip if you've never hunted them before. don't count your shots. you will probably use more ounces of shot than you get ounces of bird. :) i think they are really neat looking little birds.

4. noway

noway

mpol777, do you or have you ever eaten them?

I was told other than their size they taste pretty good. I've already gotten some snipe and red skin potatoes receipes.

The reason for the snipes change is due to they are dime a dozen if you don't mind tracking them early morning and seems like a new bird to hunt.

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

nope, i've never eaten them myself. the guy who owns the farmland my dad and i hunted liked them so we would give him the birds. my dad has eaten them and said they were good. i now wish i would have had one taxidermied. i guess that means i'll just have to go back for more :)

seems like the south is much better habitat for them and that there's more. we were hunting ditches that ran in between the fields. corn and soy bean i think.

6. 357glocker

357glocker

3 quail, 2 pheasants, 15 dove, 2 rabbits,8 ducks, 1 canadian, 6 squirrels, 2 deer (quite a bit of dead air in between the game and my barrel too, does that count?!) decent year but would have liked to of seen more ducks, the ducks to hunting time ratio was very bad compared to the other game I took this year.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway, my friend,

sorry about some of your lousy hunting season there.
    At least you have got something in the deep freeze!

I have not been able to go (for myself), but once all season, for anything, and then it was my son who got the deer. (although i'm eating most of it) :)

Good luck on the rest of whats left for ya there my friend.

You ought to be on the ranch... there are rabbits running over themselves! With our coyote population all but wiped out, and not enough cats to go around for all the bunnies... we are knee deep in them in West Texas, (this area that is). There seems to be no shortage of coyotes in surrounding ranch areas.. there was an epidemic of rabies here afew years back, (in this area), and the government all but wiped out the coyotes..... rabbit city!
    They, (the coyotes), will in time bounce back, but for now, the bobcats, cougars, and rattlers, are getting real fat, but there is plenty more to go around!

I can walk from behind the ranch house, down toward the canyon (in a 1/2 mile walk), and see over a dozen rabbits, (not looking for them).

Come go hunting Man, You used to live not to far from where we're at, about 65-70 miles. Anytime.

CanyonMan

8. noway

noway

Thanks but I do have an offer to shoot Pheasants up near Lubbock Tx and I'm already planing a trip to Tejas just for this shoot.I was told to just bring gun and shells and plenty of birds are sitting in the fields to be shot at.

You ain't lying about the rabbits population, my parents have rabbits running around like ants on their land. You can't go 20ft without nearing tripping over a cottontail.

My mom is calling them her pets. My neighbors dogs chase them and they are quite happy.

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

LOL....

my brother sits on the front porch at the ranch, and watches them destroy his yard. He has figured out some way to 'keep them off the grass.' I just don't want to know how! :)

Good luck with the bird hunt Hoss!

CanyonMan