Small Business Owners: Deciding to Fire Someone

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by light-switch, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

The key to firing an employee is progressive documentation. Give the employee a verbal warning regarding their bad behavior and document it. Second offense, give a written warning of said behavior and make it clear that it is their final warning. 3rd strike and they are out and document it. Cover your ass with as much documentation and corrective training as possible to protect your business from a possible lawsuit for wrongful discharge.

2. helidude350

helidude350

No.
    But that doesn’t mean employees are stupid and the boss knows all.

My boss had a long time customer. Knew the family for years. The company I worked for was growing. The boss ignored the calls from his longtime customer. The customer called me. I had to “diplomatically” handle the call. Several of them.
    The customer found someone else to take care of them.
    My boss said he wasn’t worried, that he would get them back. He hasn’t to this day.
    The “new” business only lasted a year and half.

There were other examples with that company and many examples with others.

You don’t have to own a company to know bad decisions.

You don’t have to own a company to know some things are illegal.

You don’t have to own a company to care.

glock_collector likes this.

3. helidude350

helidude350

But a fair question....

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam
    That really depends on where you work and how big of an operation it is.

For a single non affiliated vet clinic, owned by the people running it, they don’t have to do jack, they can just say pack your bags don’t come back.

I’ve worked a lot of places where you didn’t get anything more than half a strike to be gone.

5. glock_collector

glock_collector

Helo350, Sometimes I didn't want to continue business with a customer, the employees did not always understand or get to see why I did what I did. Slow payment history or playing "lets make a deal" after the sale, high liability projects, poor or no specs, ect... Just pointing out, as you probably already know, every so often, under these circumstances it was appropriate. If I couldn't reel the customer in, so that doing business worked for all involved, and they sometimes won't take NO for an answer, I had to ignore/dodge them.

helidude350 likes this.
  6. Cirdan

Cirdan

I'll disagree with that AK. It's down to whether or not the fired employee challenges it with a wrongful discharge suit. If you can document sleeping on the job you might win. Progressive discipline - giving the employee the opportunity to rectify the situation - is critical. Bad mouthing management/ownership probably isn't going to cut it. If she (employee) takes it to court she will most likely win.

Sorry to break it to you managers, but most of your employees ***** about you. Been a manager for over 30 years myself.

7. helidude350

helidude350

Seems like a pretty done deal.

She may want to reflect on why the employee felt that way.

But I’ve also worked with others that have that idea the day they are hired.

I would love to find employment where the people actually care.
    I’m starting to think that doesn’t exist anymore.

8. Kith

Kith

definitely not in my industry.

we will be through a bunch of contracts in 90 days, and we need heads now. we onboard more then we need and sift through what we get. keep the ones that show promise and throw out the trash.

maybe thats good advice in some industries, but we would lose a lot of contracts to competitors waiting for headcount. we are contractually obligated to provide X, so we typically do X plus Y and the ones who show more promise get more hours, less promise get less hours until either they revise our opinion, give us a reason to can them, or we are done vetting them and show them the door.

in a perfect world maybe we could do it that way, but i got more work needs done then i got bodies to fill it right now. the interview is show up on time, ready to work with a clear head and presentable appearance, and dont be a dumbass for 8-16 hours until i tell you you can leave for the day.

you would be surprised how many people simply cant even get that much right.

9. papershoot

papershoot

"When in doubt, take them out" words to live by.

10. helidude350

helidude350

I get that. I’ve seen that at several companies.

He ignored the paying good customer.
    Disappearing for a week the second week you start a new business venture to watch the Indy 500 isn’t such a great idea either.

Things were good for a little while.

11. helidude350

helidude350

Not to mention the liability.

12. helidude350

helidude350

Sounds like turnarounds at a chemical plant.

13. helidude350

helidude350

I had someone put me at risk for being crushed by a large truck as a “prank”. He was only told to not horseplay.
    Then I was expected to work with him again with my safety in his hands.

14. railfancwb

railfancwb

Worked for a unit of local government. Had a part time late shift (Second?) worker sometimes coming in, clocking in, leaving, coming back in, clocking out and officially leaving. Had key card entry/exit which produced printed activity record plus time clock cards. Because it was a unit of government where HR really didn’t want to fire people, gave this individual a pen and paper and the opportunity to write his immediate resignation. If he didn’t want to do that, we could go talk to HR. He resigned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. railfancwb

railfancwb

Promoting past one’s competence level - the Peter Principle at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Kith

Kith

nope, the time and place for games is on your own time. willful violation of safety directives is an immediate termination with prejudice. no unemployment for them. they used up all their chances in one shot and are tagged no rehire.

sorry to hear you had to deal with - everyone needs to go home with all their parts they came with. even when you do everything right and by the book accidents can still happen, work can be dangerous.

as soon as heavy stuff, power tools or equipment, any crush risk, suffocation risk, etc... is involved, things get and need to remain completely serious. people looking for the next opportunity to create a 'joke' situation are people not looking out for your or their safety. safety is everyones responsibility.

helidude350, Budqweiser and Deltic like this.
  17. 63Bravo

63Bravo

This is a management problem.
    I have been a owner of a business for 27 yrs. and have learned that employees are all kind wonderful and productive.

I have also learned if you have a rat in your wll you need to kill it.

18. helidude350

helidude350

The uhaul rep told me that “safety is a matter of opinion”.

19. Detectorist

Detectorist

No. If the business is located in an 'at will employment State', they can fire anyone for any reason unless the employee is part of a protected group.

BigBull 301 likes this.
  20. Kith

Kith

shoulda said "and osha has many opinions about safety, shall we consult theirs?"