close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small business backup solutions,

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Jan 2, 2007.

1. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

I am looking for a backup solution for our small business server.

We are currently backing up to a single tape, nightly and a dual tape month end backup. The nightly tapes are on a 6 week rotation and the month end tapes are kept indefinatly.

We are starting to out grow the 20/40 gig tapes.

I am investigating the possibility of doing offsite/web backup. My supervisor would rather not have to rely on someone else to protect our data. He would rather keep backups inhouse.

My thoughts are a standalone backup client backing up through the network to a local hard drive. I need something that will allow me to keep multiple backups for future use. I will probably have to keep the tapes for the month end backups or possibly switch to DL DVD's or something similar that can be stored indefinatly.

What do you use for your backups?

Do any of you have a recommendation for backup software that allows the server backup to be stored on a local HDD?

:beer:

2. Toyman

Toyman

I'm not able to give you the full solution since I've never done such a setup, but I have a few thoughts.

You should have some form of off site backup. Whether this is a web service or someone physically taking the backups off site.

I use a Mirra server, which automatically backs up your files and saves the 8 most recent versions.
    http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/mirra/index.html
    Although I'm really close to creating my own backup versioning because the Mirra isn't as flexible as I would like.

You have to occasionally check your backups. I've seen it where they have the tape backups, but no one knows how to restore the backups. If the server drive is in a removable slot you can:
    1) Quickly and safely take it out to test the backup with another drive.
    2) Grab the drive if there's a fire or disaster.

Tom's harware has a good article on small business backups.

3. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I was going to suggest Toms hardware as well. Also look at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php which is associated with TH.com but deals with more networking issues.

I have a NAS (Network Area Storage) running (160GB) RAID 1, at home and found that it has the capability to be accessed via the internet. I also have a USB external drive to back up the NAS every now and then. Perhaps your boss, if he has broadband at home, could maintain a backup at home. He wouldn't have to do anything, the software does it all.

4. havensal

We do physically store our tapes in a fireproof safe in a separate building. If I build a backup client, it will be located in the other building.

I don't think the Mirra server will do much good, as it is quite basic. I am looking more for some sort of software, I can come up with the hardware.

Thanks for the other link to Tom's, great stuff.

:beer:

5. Toyman

Toyman

Yeah, I pretty much use my Mirra to keep a backup of one particular folder (sourcecode). I wouldn't buy one again, it does what it does good, but the UI for getting stuff in and out just sucks.

I'm pondering writing my own backup software because I haven't found one that does what I want. I want client app that will backup selected files/folders to a server with optional versioning, then the server will perform echoing files to other clients and copy (backup) to an offsite location or device. The server needs to be able to handle multiple clients(machines).

6. Cassius

Cassius

We backup both to another server on the same local network, as well as off-site (via FTP) to a hard drive at my house (I'm the IT manager). Doesn't matter where the backups are stored as long as you have them, and as long as they're off-site in case a tornado comes through or something.

7. havensal

What software do you use?