Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Getting older every day!
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, we are redoing all of out server based software and I have had some issues with the OS (thanks to a botched update).

Is there an easy way to backup the domain structure and reinstall SBS03? I am not changing domains, so I am hoping I won't have to do anything on the clients. My plan is to back up all of the users and computers and format/reinstall exactly as I have it. The only hiccup might be changing IP addresses. We are going from 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x.

This is the main reason I am contemplating the reinstall. If I have to go through the hassle of changing IP's I might as well reinstall while I'm at it.

We don't run Exchange, so there is no issue there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's no easy way to do what you are describing with a single domain controller. Changing IPs is not a big deal so long as the SRV records are updated in DNS.

Personally, I'd bring up a second server. Promote it to a DC (DNS installation implied), transfer the FSMO roles, and start pointing your clients to it via DHCP, demote original server, and then reimage. You're using SBS so that may not be an option and it assumes you have another license and server available. It's certainly a lot cleaner and less chances of something going wrong.

One question though, if you are small enough that you are using SBS, why the class a network?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts