Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Glock 19 couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. When cleaning it I noticed a small chip on the barrel lug. I haven't dropped any part of the gun or used weird ammo. I've only shot about 50 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 9mm and it performed flawlessly. I didn't notice the chip when it was brand new, but to be honest I am not sure if I checked too carefully. I do quite a bit of dry firing with dummy rounds.

I'm contacting Glock to see if I should worry about it but wanted to hear from the experienced folks here as well. I don't care about the cosmetics of the chip, just if this could lead to a bigger problem in the future. The slide lock that the lug mates with looks fine.

I have no issue sending the barrel to Glock for inspection but I'm a bit worried if they want the whole firearm as
1) It is pretty expensive to send a firearm overnight as they require
2) I lightly polished the firing pin safety plunger and trigger assembly (meaning I disassembled it) with q tips and polish compound and according to their warranty that is considered a modification.

In the picture, the chip is in the upper left of the lug where the lip connects with the slide lock. It is pretty small and if Glock says its no issue I will live with it.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
278 Posts
Unless they think it’s an issue, in wouldn't worry about it. Looks pretty dang small. If the gun runs fine, it isn’t anything I’d worry about. It’s a tool, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
I’d keep an eye on it, inside and out. No worries now but my concern would be metallic structure issues going forward.

My two cents

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,974 Posts
Got a new Glock 19 couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. When cleaning it I noticed a small chip on the barrel lug. I haven't dropped any part of the gun or used weird ammo. I've only shot about 50 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 9mm and it performed flawlessly. I didn't notice the chip when it was brand new, but to be honest I am not sure if I checked too carefully. I do quite a bit of dry firing with dummy rounds.

I'm contacting Glock to see if I should worry about it but wanted to hear from the experienced folks here as well. I don't care about the cosmetics of the chip, just if this could lead to a bigger problem in the future. The slide lock that the lug mates with looks fine.

I have no issue sending the barrel to Glock for inspection but I'm a bit worried if they want the whole firearm as
1) It is pretty expensive to send a firearm overnight as they require
2) I lightly polished the firing pin safety plunger and trigger assembly (meaning I disassembled it) with q tips and polish compound and according to their warranty that is considered a modification.

In the picture, the chip is in the upper left of the lug where the lip connects with the slide lock. It is pretty small and if Glock says its no issue I will live with it.

Thanks for your help

New production 3rd or 4th gen, or new old production stock that was sitting on a shelf?.

I ask because there were some issue with some 3rd Gen and a few 4th gen barrels, heat treating and chipping in that area. A lot of the ones I saw and heard about were running aftermarket slide locks, but there were some that happened with factory parts as well.

Old discussion about the barrel lug chipping.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/mgsl-chipped-my-barrel.1404335/page-4

The issue never went beyond the chip, did not cause any issues, or problems, but if it bothers you request that they replace the barrel for you and piece of mind.

Otherwise, shoot the beejeezus out of it and enjoy.

TXPO

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a 3rd gen completely stock. I didn’t (and probably won’t ever) change the OEM parts.

No idea if it was old stock but I doubt it based on conversation with salesman when I got it.

New production 3rd or 4th gen, or new old production stock that was sitting on a shelf?.

I ask because there were some issue with some 3rd Gen and a few 4th gen barrels, heat treating and chipping in that area. A lot of the ones I saw and heard about were running aftermarket slide locks, but there were some that happened with factory parts as well.

Old discussion about the barrel lug chipping.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/mgsl-chipped-my-barrel.1404335/page-4

The issue never went beyond the chip, did not cause any issues, or problems, but if it bothers you request that they replace the barrel for you and piece of mind.

Otherwise, shoot the beejeezus out of it and enjoy.

TXPO

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Doesn't affect function, no more than a scratch on the slide. The only thing you should look at are the sights. Glocks are nothing more than hammers, but a hammer has a better grip angle.....

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
"QUOTE"
I didn’t (and probably won’t ever) change the OEM parts.

Well--that's to bad!! Never know what a good trigger feels like.:elephant:

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
"QUOTE"
I didn’t (and probably won’t ever) change the OEM parts.

Well--that's to bad!! Never know what a good trigger feels like.:elephant:
Feels better when all that weight is lifted from the area of the buttock where the wallet sits.
:devildance:

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
That piece of metal should be anvil solid. It should not be chipped. Is the metal itself not up to standard and there's flaws you can't see of potential greater impact. Saying "it's fine shoot it" isn't exactly a magnaflux inspection of metal integrity.

Glock should care about this and will. They won't care about your polishing job. Offer to send in the barrel but if they want the gun I'd push they pay shipping.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot it

·
Just sayin'
4,641 Posts
If I bought a new gun, it better not have that kind of of issue as the OP described. If it does, it would go right back to the manufacturer. But if I recall correctly, if any of the serial numbered parts are replaced the replacement part serial number will not match the rest of the gun. Some will not care, some will. Especially if they wanted to sell or trade the gun later. Good luck and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PattonWasRight

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
If I bought a new gun, it better not have that kind of of issue as the OP described. If it does, it would go right back to the manufacturer. But if I recall correctly, if any of the serial numbered parts are replaced the replacement part serial number will not match the rest of the gun. Some will not care, some will. Especially if they wanted to sell or trade the gun later. Good luck and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Glock will give you a letter stating the validity of the replacement serial number. They did that on my Leo Glock 22 when the slide rails broke off in grand fashion

Reactions: glide

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Glock should care about this and will. They won't care about your polishing job.
If such amateur modification is apparent Glock will indeed care...enough to replace the modified parts.
Glock will give you a letter stating the validity of the replacement serial number. They did that on my Leo Glock 22 when the slide rails broke off in grand fashion
That's just for a frame replacement. The BATFE and other government entities do not care about any serial except the one on the frame. An OEM replacement barrel will have a L##### serial that has no significance to anyone. (L is the first letter of Lauf, the German word for a firearm barrel.)

·
NRA Life Member
66,497 Posts
It's fine and if you put your gun out of service for a month trying to get a new barrel, it will look worse than that once you actually shoot it. That is not a defect.

genglock.jpg

·
Registered
940 Posts
Isn't that the area of the barrel that catches the slide lock? Since that is all that holds the pistol together I would consider a chip on that already small ridge of metal to be very critical. I would think that would indicate a metal problem in that area which could lead to something bad later.

No way would I ever accept damage like that as OK and to go on shooting it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts